1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, is my dealer lying to me?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by oz73942, Jan 9, 2017.

1. oz73942

oz73942 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good Evening Everyone,

TL;DR (At bottom, sorry for the novel and thank you for your time!)

As the title says, I need some insight/Opinions as to what maybe happening with my Prime order.

Long story short, I am located in Oklahoma City and back on November 10th I placed an order for a Blue Magnetism Advanced Prime with the moonstone interior. When I showed up, My dealer knew very little about it, but they were glad to help me out. I was first told that there was a waiting line for the orders to even enter production and that I would hear back from them in December when my order was likely to start production and to expect a 6-8 week delivery date from the time production started.

Fast forward to mid-November, I asked for verification that my order was properly placed (I was paranoid). They got back to me that the only interior option was black to which I referenced the moonstone option on the website. After that, their response was that they couldn't see all options till the order was placed and black was a placeholder more or less. It sounded reasonable so I continued to patiently wait despite the red flag.

Fast forward to Christmas weekend, I am browsing auto-trader and I find the exact Prime I want in Kansas City. I text my salesman about a status update on mine and if they can just get me that one. When he gets back to me, he assures me that my Prime will actually arrive in January so I ask if there is any word on a vin number so I can finalize my financing. They tell me the vin won't be available till the first week of January. So I verify once again what I have ordered and they confirm that everything will arrive like I ordered.

Fast forward to this past Saturday, after feeling uneasy at the information being relayed to me I decide to pay the dealership a visit. My salesman isn't there and the managers are busy so another salesman helps me out. I ask him for word on the vin and he goes and verify's with the managers and comes back and tells me no vin is available and that my order just got placed this month contrary to what I was told before. Since I wasn't expecting it this early from the get go, I just asked if they could verify that a blue, advanced, white interior Prime is on its way. He goes back to check and tells me the interior option is black and that there is no white. I show him the option on the website, he goes to check again with his manager/my supposed folder, and comes back and says that in fact five different Primes have been ordered and that one of them appears to have a white interior, so he assumes that one is mine. Fed up, I calmly thank him for the info and walk out.

At this point I am convinced of a few things. That they have been/are lying to me, that my order may actually not be placed, that they may not even have allocations, and that they are just trying to buy time to be able to catch a slot to place an order.

At this point I really regret not jumping on the Kansas City Prime and I am toying with the idea of just flying out somewhere, but I just don't have the time right now to make the trip. I have a daily commute of 61 miles one way (Me and my wife are working on narrowing this down eventually), and I currently drive a G8 with 6.0 liter v8 as a daily. As a car enthusiast I am obsessed with Prime and would love to have one, but living in the Midwest it seams like that may not happen for a while. I have checked out the volt and I am seriously considering it as an alternative, but I truly believe that the Prime is the better car overall. I welcome any advice, comments, opinions! Thank you!

TL;DR:
    I think my dealer is just leading me on about being able to get me a Prime in the Midwest for the last two months and I would like to hear if anyone has had a similar experience/advice. Thank you!

Andyprius1 and bisco like this.
  2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there aren't any Pius Primes listed as available in Oklahoma City according to Cars.com and AutoTrader.com, so your dealer is correct that there seems to be a shortage in your area. But it does seem like they're giving you the run-around regarding your order. Since you're familiar with the website, why don't you just configure it online so you know everything will be as you want?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there are several threads here on flyover state availability, which is almost none. and many complaints that dealers are lying at worst, and cleless at best.
    i think you will have to decide whether you can wait until production ramps up and more are available, (probably mid to late this year) or find the time at some point to fly somewhere and drive one home, as others have done.
    all the best!(y)

p.s. love the blue with moonstone.:)

Montgomery likes this.
  4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have felt the same way with this process. I am in Nebraska. Madison, Wisconsin had 8, Oletha Toyota in Kansas City has had several. Columbia, Mo had a red one. So some are getting to the Midwest but they are slim and gone pretty fast. I kept pressing my dealer and today called and said another dealership was getting one in in March and I was at the top of the list for it. Within 10 minutes they had mine ordered and scheduled to be here in March. So don't know for sure but it is a struggle to buy a car. All so far seem to be only Advances. If possible I would hold out for a Prime over a Volt. You will be happier with a Prime.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from what i read, they are only getting them by trading with coastal dealers, not from the factory.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    YES, all dealers lie all the time about everything, even incidental things that do not matter. it's often possible to find a straight and honest salesman, but the people above him are all con artist, liars etc. The only thing you can trust is what is in writing and then if distance is considered, you can't trust contracts.

bisco and douglasjre like this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You make them sound like politicians.

douglasjre likes this.
  8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think they are worse.

I bought my car at John L Sullivan and had a bad experience. Now POST THIS OTHERWISE this forum is useless.

#8 Andyprius1, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
    douglasjre likes this.
  9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To describe further. A machine was used that took signed cover sheets, for either perfunctionary item or real options, you could not be sure. Out of this printer came documents that YOU SUPPOSEDLY signed, except you never really saw that document nor do you remember seeing it. But now you are being charged with options you never wanted AND simultaneously told you must take this option as it's already on the vehicle.
    And just as you leave the finance persons office he mentions, you never have to take any options you do not want. Five minutes ago he just told you you must take this option ( Tracker ) Then you find another piece of paper you never signed, The Cash Back from Toyota, somebody made the election, to the dealer!!! NOT my election, not my initials. Be careful, they are CROOKS.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS FORGERY

I later got Tracker turned around, so they tell me, awaiting check in mail. I am now fighting for the forged Document. The Cash Back. The correct procedure would have been to put the form in my hands and allow me to make the elections. But, that would be too open.

It's interesting, I forwarded a corrected sheet to Fl for Cash Back. Their Email does not work, they have no
    Tel #

I detailed my dissatisfaction to the nice cheery lady wanting to know how happy I was with the purchase. Customer Relations from John L Sullivan's Toyota Scion.

The Lawyer said my word against theirs, nothing he could do.........?

I've heard nothing.

I have now queried a Lawyer to look over my papers and give me a decision.

If necessary I'll go to small claims court. Just to annoy them.

#9 Andyprius1, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    douglasjre likes this.
  10. Swauger

Swauger Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ask them if it is being built? Then if they say it is, ask for a delivery date. Then have them show you that it is actually built. I ordered one and they dicked me around and said it wasn't being built for a few weeks. I went to NJ and found one, bought it on the spot and called my dealer back and said to cancel the order. Then they started backtracking and I said, it wasn't built yet, therefore, I get my deposit back. Got my money back with a few dirty looks. But hey, you snooze you lose.

11. JonW

JonW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This story is very similar to my own but I do not feel the salesman has been lying to me. Order placed mid-November, was told in December the car would be arriving in January then a few days ago was told production was put on hold so he does not know when my car will be built. Seeing as the main reason I wanted to get the car so quickly was for the 2016 tax incentives and know that couldn't happen - it doesn't bother me to wait a few more months. Just hope I get it by the end of this year before the incentives go away.

With there being so many dealers here in the midwest with the same story, it is unlikely they are lying to everyone about the hold. It may not be a production hold but just a hold on new orders from our area. Either way, if you want the car sooner you best bet is to travel to one of the coasts.

12. Ken77

Ken77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I ordered a Prime from a dealer in Milwaukee at the end of November. They said it would be delivered in 6-8 weeks as well, that will be by the end of next week. I understood them to say that they have an agreement to get Primes from Toyota. They gave me a VIN for a car and I actually found it located at a dealer in Michigan. I asked if that one was coming to me but was told it may end up being another. I see they show Primes as an available model of car on their web site (no inventory) while other dealers in the area do not have them listed as an available model. So, I will know more after next week.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PM @Prius Team They are Toyota's marketing team for Prius & Prime. They should be able to direct you within Toyota US.

14. oz73942

oz73942 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you everybody for chipping in! I heard back from them on-demanding a clear explanation and threatening to walk away from the deal. There exact words "Everything is on a waiting list. And exact delivery is unknown."

I will probably wait another month or to see how availability progresses before making my next move. I'm thinking I may at least pick up a 3rd gen to hold me over till I hear something then hand it over to my wife. Never In my life did I imagine it would be so hard to get my hands on Prius :).

I will keep you guys updated if I hear anything useful on my end!

15. James Wells

James Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I went through the same experience. I did end up with a blue premium with black interior. I wanted the same car with Moonstone, but this is what they got, I took it, and must say like the black (a richer, but less audacious - which is my nature, choices.

My original dealer - the one I ended up buying - was straight with me. The Toyota territory buyers ordered what they could get and allocate to dealers. The dealer's take what they are allocated. As of mid December they could not place an order.

I went to the biggest San Antonio dealer who had me fill out an order and said they could place it. Time went on for 3 months with them saying my delivery was 2 months away. Yes, they lied. My initial dealer did not.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having to beg for a car is a strange way to run a business. And you would think the dealers would pick up on that and be better salesmen for the car. Toyota's moto of "Going Places" is not what is happening with the Prime...at least in the "fly over " states.

I hope I am not being played for a 2nd time. Waited 2.5 months the 1st time. Now on another 2.5 month wait with a promised build, port, and delivery date.

17. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was told by dealer that they would not be getting in Prime's until the end of January or February.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all sop for toyota and their dealers. if you are new to the game, get used to it.

19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you are fortunate enough to find one of the few honest sales people dealer combinations. I have found one and the "High Priuistess" sounds reasonable too.

So that is one on each coast I would reasonably trust.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but neither can tell you why prime are so hard to come by in most places.

my local dealer (wellesley toyota) has 3 in stock. (supposedly) they are listed as 2 'three's' and a 'four'.
    that's how knowledgeable they are. i have to use the msrp to figure out if they a re plus, premium or advanced.

#20 bisco, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017