1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Is the battery dead or something else?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by llamamobile, Jan 18, 2017.

1. llamamobile

llamamobile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all! I'm new to posting but I've been visiting since I bought my 2011 Prius last year.

I've had weird issues with my Prius. This morning when I tried to start it, it stayed in 'ready' mode, and all the indicator lights came on. It made a high pitched noise. The dome light, radio, and headlights all worked fine, and the car unlocked like normal as I approached it. It turned off with no problems.

I tried locking it, then unlocking it, and starting it again several times, and this happened several more times.

After fruitlessly trying to line up a tow to the shop (we're covered in ice here and all the tow companies are booked solid due to accidents), I looked in the manual and then around here for a solution. A few people had posted with similar issues and found that their 12v battery was dead. So I went out to try it one last time to see if the signs were the same before trying to using a jump pack.

All the dashboard indicators were the same, the high pitched noise was the same, and the lights and radio worked fine again. However, this time when I depressed the brake pedal and hit the button again to see if it would turn on, it DID. And the engine made a horrible loud rhythmic banging noise. It wasn't like a knocking, but it didn't sound electrical. I thought it sounded like something got caught under the hood, so I turned the car off and took a look, but I didn't see anything. It didn't sound like the engine was turning over, either (or at least not from what I remember cars sounding like when that happens).

Also, two weeks ago my car accelerated instead of braking while I was parking. I know that sounds like a user error, but when I took it to the shop, the computer indicated that the wheels were spinning at different speeds and there was an ABS error. They couldn't get the car to do it again so nothing was "fixed".

My question is: is all this really consistent with a dead battery? And if so, can I jump it and drive it to the shop myself if the engine is making that noise? I don't want to pay for a tow if I don't have to, but I don't want to mess it up, either.

All the other posts I saw about dead batteries said the radio wouldn't work, the car didn't unlock via the fob, the dome lights/headlights were dimmed, and the car wouldn't turn off at all. I'm worried this is more of a computer issue given what happened two weeks ago.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This doesn't sound like dead battery to me. Counterintuitive, but maybe try starting it one more time? There's a cold-start phenomena: the engine knocks badly at start up, and sometimes is ok if shut down and restarted. There might be a cause-and-effect, that the car was started cold and then quickly shut down, say the day before.

It's by no means acceptable or normal, and it's something Toyota is aware of, looking in to.

Anyway, just for giggles: try one more start up?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can get a multimeter and check the 12v battery voltage. I'm thinking if it'll get into Ready mode, it probably isn't a battery problem. But best to check it, it's should be replaced after 5 years anyways

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's not the 12v, i would have the codes read. could the high pitch noise be an alarm?

5. llamamobile

llamamobile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all! I tried to turn it again, but it didn't work this time. Same indicator lights, etc. Right around then I got a call that a tow was available, so I'm at the shop and I'm waiting on diagnostics now. Should be interesting...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say it's a bad 12v

7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Agree bad battery

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    +3 on the bad battery.

And some of these models are known to make a horrible knocking noise if left unused for several days in a row; totally different problem......which Toyota claims is not really a problem.

If this happened after the car sat unused for several days, all the pieces seem to fit.

IF it has the original 12 V battery, you should have it changed.......even if the shop claims it is not the problem but they can't find out what IS.

9. llamamobile

llamamobile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far the shop says the computer codes indicate misfires, and they're suggesting I replace the spark plugs. I have just over 100k miles so I guess that'd not too surprising. They're going to do some more diagnostics tomorrow o_O Maybe it was a combo of the cold start issue + spark plugs?

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not convinced.
    Bad plugs WILL NOT prevent the car from going into READY mode and trying to start.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be careful, it could be one of those deals where they just keep trying things, and you just keep paying them.
    are you at a dealer, or respected hybrid shoppe?

12. llamamobile

llamamobile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at a hybrid shop. I've used them since I bought my car last year and they're pretty reputable., albeit on the expensive side labor-wise. They don't charge for most diagnostics. But I am worried if you all think it's not the spark plugs. Other than the battery and cold start, should I ask about anything else?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you talk about high pitch whining, ready mode, banging noise, accelerating instead of braking, it just doesn't add up. replacing the plugs 20,000 miles early is not a big deal, i'm just saying i hope they're not just using a process of elimination method.

have they tested the 12v?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have a chance, please post any and all diagnostic codes that were retrieved by the shop. That should really be step one of any diagnosis.

The idea of blaming the 12 volt battery first, based on sort of vague reasoning that 'computers do weird things on abnormal supply voltage, so no matter what codes I have, they could be caused by that, instead of meaning what the codes mean' tempts a lot of people—maybe because it sounds like less trouble than having the codes read, and it seems to offer the chance of an easy fix and nothing really being wrong with the car, and wishful thinking is powerful. On the other hand, in case there is a real problem and the codes mean exactly what they mean, wishing it's the battery just slows down finding and fixing the problem.

In my own experience (I've only owned two Prii, a Gen 1 and a Gen 3), I've had various mishaps drain the battery south of 8 volts more than once, which makes it pretty hard to start the car, but hasn't ever caused either of my Prii to log codes that didn't mean what the codes meant.

The high-pitched noise puts me in mind of the braking system alarm, which is only used for certain brake system codes, not for minor, non-urgent ones. So I'd be extra attentive to retrieving any possible brake system codes.

-Chap

15. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently had to replace my 12v battery (bought yellow top Optima). In my case the dash lights stayed on but the READY light never appeared. I tested the old battery when I took it out, 9.9 volts.

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are somewhat lucky.
    MANY other owners over MANY years have had that happen.
    When multiple codes show up all of a sudden, that point to various DIFFERENT sub-systems........or the car won't go into READY mode.....a good place to start BASED ON THE EXPERIENCE OF OTHERS is to test the 12 V battery and it's connections.
    If you don't do that, it can end up being an expensive mistake. That too has been reported by more than a few owners.