1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Help] is this 2013 Prius a bad deal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by R357, Dec 30, 2021.

1. R357

R357 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uploaded a pic of the CL posting. I have zero knowledge about Prius cars and am not handy, so I’d be bringing it into a mechanic/shop for any maintaining.

My main concerns with this car are that it’s coming up on 10 years old and is at 200k miles. Also, there’s a missing charging cable, which will run me some more money.

I also read in another thread that the 2013-15 models have some problems and they get fixed in the 2016 model, but the 2017 model is the “unicorn”

Unfortunately, I am sticking to a budget of under $10k. My commute would be about 200-300 miles a week, and I live in NorCal, so there is not much bad weather beyond rain here.

Any advice or help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would pass on a 10 year old Prius with 200k unless it was almost free. Too many expensive repairs ahead possible and not just any shop can work on them. The worst years were 2010 through 2014, the 15 is better, 16 and newer even better.
    Good luck with your decision.

R357 likes this.
  3. R357

R357 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I was thinking something along your lines too about the age of the car, but was trying to stay within a $10k budget. Found a 2017 Prius Prime going for $17,500. This is almost double the price, but I’d feel much more confident getting a 5 year old car. See attached and lmk what you think!

Attached Files:

4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see this one has a salvage title. You need to be careful and understand what a salvage title means. Find out all you can about the damages and who did the rebuild. Ask for pictures of the car before it was repaired. Sometimes you can google the vin and find pictures of when it was at auction.Unless you're very knowledgeable about cars, definitely have a prepurchase inspection done at an independent garage or a dealership (and since you're here asking opinions, I'm guessing you're not).

All that being said, my 2015 is a salvage title. I've had it 4.5 years and no problems. I've changed oil, transmission fluid, replaced the 12v battery and put tires on it...that's all. Some people won't touch a salvage (rebuilt) vehicle. I've driven them for the last 15 tears or so. They can be a very good value (because they should price at about 2/3 book value) ...IF it was repaired properly. Also bear in mind a branded title will void ALL warranties (such as the 10 year hybrid components warranty) but recalls will still be honored.This is the main reason no one should pay book value for a salvage/rebuilt titled vehicle.
    For California, for this year and mileage $17.5 seems like a good price...IF the car passes the inspection. Not the state inspection to get the salvage title, all they inspect for is safety and stolen parts, I'm talking about the pre purchase inspection.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the gas savings that important? i agree with better golf. 13 prius has a lot of potential high cost issues.
    16 and newer are great so far, but a decent one will be expensive. there's a lot to learn before making the leap tp prius, it is fortunate that you came here first.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No on either. The 2013 is high mileage along with an easy $5k or more in repairs at any time. Even more if the head gasket blows. The 2017 salvage title is way too much. Maybe is it was $12k. A hybrid ppi is difficult for any shop.