1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! I've damaged my Prius (and my garage door)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Jan 10 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]373891[/snapback]</div>
    holy crap.

Hmm, I'm guessing the headliner isn't an issue since it's $190 for the parts and usually their part price includes installation. I'll have to double check that.

Yeesh, for something so simple, who knew it'd be a big headache. :angry:

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You should have been more careful. :lol:

The headliner isn't that difficult to take down. And you don't have to take down the whole thing. Just pop out the dome light, pop out the three plastic thingies (technical term), maybe some trim pieces and stick your hands in there.

Take a look at the first couple pages of this.

3. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might want to try getting some silicon adhesive at a local home store, and see if you can reattach the base to the roof. I have used this before for other projects, and has worked pretty well, plus it will seal out any moisture...can't hurt to try!

Good Luck

4. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If this happened on mine, I think I'd try simply reversing the force that created the new position; if redone with the garage door, it might fix both at the same time :rolleyes:

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:01 AM) [snapback]374042[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet, thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hwalker911 @ Jan 11 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]374049[/snapback]</div>
    Will do.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DieselConvert @ Jan 11 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]374164[/snapback]</div>
    lol

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 10 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]373901[/snapback]</div>
    Don't count on it, I'm not known for "finesse." College buddies made sure I was around when rebuilding old Chevy trucks and sweet GTO's, because they needed a guy to lug around motors, transmissions, axles, etc.

I just don't have the patience for finicky things. Around 4 years ago when I installed the PowerTrax LockRite in my 1984 Ford F-150 8.8 rear, all those little springs drove me wild.

http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html

7. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 10 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]373474[/snapback]</div>
    Your Prius looks...ummmmm....excited. :huh:

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Bend it back down, get it looking nice, trade off the car.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jan 13 2007, 08:55 AM) [snapback]375156[/snapback]</div>
    Alright, after washing the car today, I decided to try and bend the antenna back. I applied some force to the base of the antenna and I heard a "click." Now my whip portion of the antenna is back to its original position (yay!) but I don't know if the antenna base is flush with the roof. I haven't taken off the duct tape yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jan 15 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]375819[/snapback]</div>
    you wish lol. I'm not trading this car in. It's a unique colour and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of installing the EV mod and DICE units again (among other mods)

10. echase

echase New Member

Re: Help! I've damaged my Prius (and my garage door)

Yikes.... I just did the same thing last night.

I have installed a garage door opener in the dash, with a button to the left of the wheel. I went to pull out of the garage, opened the door by pressing the button in the garage, jumped in the car, and by force of habit pressed the button on the dash, stopping the door just above visibility out the back window. I pulled back, and heard a horrible crash.

Somehow (thanks to the rubber weatherstripping on the door) I didn't seem to damage the paint, but I snapped off the rear window squirter thingamajig (correct name anyone?) snapped the whip out with the base screw it goes onto, and separated the rear of the plastic base the same way you did.

I think I can solder a shark-fin onto the antenna lead that is sticking through the hole, but I am wondering if this will seal the roof properly, since it seems to be designed to install over the (sealed) antenna base.

Also, anyone have the procedure (and part numbers) for replacing the rear squirter thingy?

I have half a mind to file a claim with my insurance, but am concerned it might increase my rates.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

oye.

well my rubber weather stripper bit had pebbles and stones in it so I was left with scratches.

My antenna base is still separated from the body but after several high pressure car washes, no leaks so I don't think there's a hole there for water to seep through so no worries there.

12. echase

echase New Member

I'm glad to hear there are no leaks. I will probably silicone it, and install a shark-fin then. $76 seems like a LOT, but it's less than the OEM part, and looks better, so I will have to do it.

I will miss having a removable antenna. I found the little FM transmitter for the IPOD works pretty well if I unscrew the antenna to minimize interference. Oh well. (I'll have to install a switch into the antenna circuit eventually).

This just leaves the rear washer nozzle, which I have no idea how to install. This should be fun.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

oh it's a LOT less. I think they were asking for Cdn$200.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

next time firts buy a shrakfin antenna:D

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

We vote for putting a sharkfin over it. Silicon seal it well, then pop on the sharkfin. No one will know, and people will think that your Prius is way cooler than theirs.