1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help locating window visor pin / rivet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GoldPianoGarden, Aug 10, 2012.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]
    Well, I have finally reached the point in my modification process where I WAS installing my wide window visors on the side doors. Well, there were supposed to be 8 of those weird, squiggly clip things (on the left side of the picture) that help secure the visors to the doors, and 8 of the pins/rivets (on the right side of the picture). Well, do I need to say.....There were only 7 of the pins/rivets. Everything else was there, except that one tiny pin/rivet. For those that have no prior experience with visors that have these clip things, the clip part goes under the rubber weather/door seal around the door, and there are 2 holes on each door's visor where one of these retainer clips attach. They are along the outer edge of the visor. The little pin/rivet sticks thru the hole on the visor and then thru that retainer clip underneath that visor hole. Of course there is 3M tape around the edge where each visor attaches, but these are also used as attachment/anchor points...which I suppose helps keep the visor from mysteriously flying off the door....worst case scenario. Since my visors are twice as wide as the standard ones, they probably keep them from flapping in the wind, also, at the neck-breaking speeds I drive. ;-) Well, I have had the visors (bought thru Kyoei who translated the Japanese website and ordered/imported them for me) for about 9 months now. I was waiting until any mod endeavors were finished in which anyone would be messing around my car carelessly and accidentally scratch or mar the visors. Of course, it's too late now for me to return them (not that it would be cost-effective to do so); and I've searched at all the local hardware stores, hobby stores, etc., for something that could be used in the place of the little pin/rivet....with no luck at all. Since others live in areas that have a greater wealth of sources of pretty much everything car-related, I was hoping that someone on the forum might know of where I could buy something to use in place of the little pin/rivet. I've even considered using a tiny bolt with a nut on the underneath side of the visor (which wouldn't look that appealing, but would do the job), but I figure the bolt would need to be of a plastic nature, because of the plastic material that the visors are made of. Finding a black, plastic bolt with a fitting plastic nut is probably an impossibility. I've searched thru every bin of auto clips and retaining rivets that every available store here has.....with nothing close to being this small. Another tiny plastic rivet would be ideal.....if a person knew where to find such an object. I don't want to have to fork out another $300 for another set of these 4 visors just to get one little pin/rivet. Can anybody help?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Heffalump's Prius

Heffalump's Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could take a picture of the window visor in the car.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 ?

3. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sure, I'll see if I can hold one of them up against one of the windows and the little clips and then snap a pic so you can get the whole picture of how it works. I had never seen this kind of setup before; but once I received them and started asking about how a person even installed them, it appears that this setup is quite common for the JDM visors (as seen on almost all Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Lexus, etc., forums online). But, I guess I had never bought the right kind of visors in the past (even tho I've owned about 12 other foreign cars....thus why my license plate has always been YIBUY4N....). I'll snap a few pics in a little bit, tho!

4. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, that was about the hardest thing to try and get a picture of! The reflection off of the tinted windows, the reflection off of the tint on the window vent visors, plus being surrounded by windows (in the garage because it keeps pouring here). I finally managed to get 2 that will allow you to see the visor, the clip stuck under the rubber weatherseal on the window/door, and then the little pin/rivet like I am needing to find.

So, here's the retainer clip on the door and I'm holding the visor below it so you can see the hole in it that will match up to the hole in that clip:

[​IMG]

And then here's one where I am holding the visor with the hole on it aligned with the hole in the clip underneath it, plus I'm holding the pin/rivet next to it:

[​IMG]

5. Heffalump's Prius

Heffalump's Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you get it from where you purchased. Where did you get it from?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 ?

6. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They're from Japan. The person who imported them for me here sent me this response after trying to get an additional pin the manufacturer: "We were emailed back and they said
    the pins are not sold separately. So at this point, there is no way for me to source just that pin"

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What about using rivets? Maybe these will work. Replace all the clips with rivets so u can't tell that 1 is different.

8. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, if I had access to some that small, but the smallest car interior/panel rivets I have at any stores here are too large...

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What size is the opening?

10. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The hole is 1/8", so I guess it'd take a 1/16" rivet (plastic, black)....which has very slim results where I've tried Googling...

miniature plastic rivets - Bing Images

That is the type of rivet that sounds like mine, from the description (mine is a shiny, polished black)....but the head is not big on it...

Plastic Pop Rivets - Bing Images

That one is like it, as well....but I would need a 1/16" size.

11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ones I see there just look totally different.... Here's a few more pics of mine, if that will make any difference. I took a couple of the rivets/pins apart so you could see the 2 parts. I had it in my mind that the whole pin/rivet assembly just pushed thru the hole on the visor, but the pin/rivet has a "collar" around it that would prevent it from going thru. So, I guess you have to separate the 2 pieces and then stick the pin thru the hole and then stick the other piece onto the pin from the underside of the visor.....like putting a bolt thru the hole and then putting a nut on from underneath. It seems a lot of sites refer to these as push pins, if that makes any difference! They're just so darn tiny. That's what's making them such a novelty to find...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III