1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help! lost bolt during ebh installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sailin3d, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sailin3d

sailin3d New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    while unbolting the windshield wiper tray (the metal one), one of the bolts rolled down the drain hole (driver side) :(

I've tried taking apart the wheel well lining but could not find it. I've also tried rolling the car forward and back to try to shake it loose - wherever it is.

Now when it roll down the drain hole, I only heard 1 thud... Any suggestions? Worst case, where can I get a replacement bolt/washer?

2. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tape a magnet to a string. It should fall down the hole nearly the same as the bolt did.

Also, a small piece of mirror and a flashlight can be helpful

Bill

3. sailin3d

sailin3d New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Bill. I would do that unfortunately its all metal under there :(
    Will keep searching.

4. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    that sucks man. I only managed to lose one of the plastic clips when I was taking mine apart. The string and magnet sounds like a great idea.

5. JohnPE

JohnPE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two ideas:
    1) Buy one of those telescoping rods with a magnet on the end (Try Harbor Freight Tools) so you can shove the magnet down past all that metal.
    2) Leave the bolt where it is, and just remove one of the many other bolts of the same size and take it into any hardware store. They should be able to match it exactly.