1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - Map Light Panel Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by InspectorGadget, Jun 16, 2016.

1. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was installing my new LED light kit this morning and everything was going well until I got to the map lights. The socket holding the right light was not anchored in the housing and I bumped it as I reached up to remove the bulb. The bulb and socket both fell into the map light housing and I have no idea how to access them short of removing the entire map light panel. I've tried searching Prius Chat and YouTube without finding a tutorial and the last thing I want to do is bugger-up the housing or roof liner.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't have thought that was possible if it hadn't just happened to you.

Removing the map light panel is not very difficult.

It has two sections. The forward section you can pull down with your fingers starting at the leading edge near the windshield glass. The rear edge of the forward panel is attached to the main panel with some hooks.

The main section is held in with four of those body panel plastic friction pins.

upload_2016-6-16_12-17-45.png

Pull down on the forward end first. When the forward two friction pins give, there is a catch on either side that will grab the headliner. While gently pulling down, unhook the headliner from the catches on the left & right sides.

After the headliner is clear of the side catches, you can yank down to release the rear two clips. Once you've got that far, you'll need to unclip the wiring harness connector.

For your case, you might have already got access to your light bulb before you've release the rear friction clips.

3. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dylan Doxey likes this.