1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me achieve the 51 city that Toyota advertises

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by d2mini, May 5, 2012.

1. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After 7 months of driving I've finally accepted that 50 MPGs is about the best I can do with my normal driving routes and distances. I have several drives a day that are all under 10 miles. Just as soon as I get the car warmed up and ready to work on MPGs it's time to shut it off.

2. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It was mentioned earlier in this thread (and other threads) about the AC robbing mpgs. It was cool out this morning so I cracked the windows down about 1/3 and turned the AC off. On my normal commute that normally gets me around the mid to high 50's, I was able to achieve just over 67mpg this morning! Yeesh! What a diff.

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which is why you should always try to attempt to keep your car interior as cool as possible while it is parked. The easiest way is to find a tree to park under its shade. The online store sells window screens, these are great ways to keep the interior cool and minimize your A/C use, because you don't have to use it as much to cool the interior air AND the interior.

Think about how hot the seats can get, they are trapping heat (energy) and it takes more A/C to cool off the seats, carpet, roof liner, etc when they are all at warm temps. Parking in the shade keeps the outer portion of the car cool, shades the windows and minimizes the ability for heat to penetrate the car.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup! :)

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/97814-how-reduce-mpg-loss-because-c-use.html

5. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You've never been to Houston, have you? :D

But i get your point. :cool:

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure he's been to Sacramento when it is 110F+. :D

7. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I drive out to our airport once or twice a month and it's about 25 miles away, all flat driving and average speed of 45 mph. Whenever I make this trip by MPGs increase significantly. I can see how owners that drive routes like this everyday often yield MPGs in the 60s.