1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Me Buy My First Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Spiffyman, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Spiffyman

Spiffyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've finally decided to buy a Prius. Want to buy used in the $10,000 range to see how I like it. I've driven a few cars over the past month, but they were a little newer and were closer to $14,000 which is more than I want to spend.

I'm going to drive two cars today and am thinking of buying one of them:

CAR 1: Private party 2010 with 79,800 miles - IV trim level with solar panel venting system. They're asking $10,500. They are the second owner.

00V0V_7Yc947YaIzC_1200x900.jpg

CAR 2: Dealer car 2012 with 100,600 miles - V trim level. Been on the lot for 3 months and they've reduced the price from $13,000 to $10,000. Comes with 3 month, 3,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

df27b550c97c6651442a5e6ce8fa1ab8.jpg

Any thoughts or advice? I usually gravitate to private party cars, but the warranty is kind of appealing on the dealer car.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

both sound like great cars, buy the one you like most. make sure there haven't been any accidents, and regular maintenance has been done.
    one thing to keep in mind, gen 3 (2010-2015) have an egr problem. blow by clogs the egr circuit and intake manifold. left untreated, this can lead to head gasket failure.
    you would want to clean them out, and ideally, add an oil catch can to prevent future clogging.

all the best!(y)

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Help Me Buy My First Prius

You have to create a gofundme account for that.

Spiffyman, Prodigyplace and m.wynn like this.
  4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage between them is nearly a wash and $10k is well more than I'd pay for a private seller 2010 at this point. The '12 takes it easily, imo, with a 2-year newer hybrid battery and the factory LED headlights. The H11 low beams in the halogen spec gen 3 Prii are marginal, imo. Additionally, silver is my color:)... Price is "dealer-like" but fair enough, I spose. Like you, I typically buy used private, but picked up my 2014 from a Subaru dealer at a couldn't refuse price.

bisco's point about EGR/head gasket issues is worth doing some looking into on this site. If you're planning on putting 100k or more trouble free miles on this purchase, it's something to take seriously, imo. Also, spend your first several weeks getting an accurate handle on how much, if any, oil it's burning.

Good luck!

Spiffyman and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd lean towards the 2012. I believe that was produced after the first refresh. The 2010 was the first model year.
    But either could be fine choices.
    Due diligence and the advice to check out either thoroughly, Carfax, maintenance history, as much as you can find out, is always good advice.

Hard to tell from the picture, but those tires-on the 2012- look like they have a smaller (less tall) sidewall?
    I would check that out.
    If the vehicle has "different" tires than stock size?
    That tells you something about it's history, and choices either the dealership made, or the previous owner. Not necessarily good or bad, but if different tires were put on it? You have to ask why.

#5 The Electric Me, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Go with the 2012 from the dealership and call it a day!