1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me choose between 2014 Plug in Advanced and 2012 IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by joeynickels, Dec 14, 2020.

1. joeynickels

joeynickels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So i'm on the search for a Gen 3 Prius, it'll be my first, and my first care in about 15 years. Between the following two, which seems the better deal? Or should I pass on both? Before I give the car deets, I should say that in my area (Northern California), prices are high and seem to be on the rise in general because pandemic. I had set my budget at $10k before taxes/fees, but can stretch it a bit.

Well I tried to include links to the cars, especially since they include carfax reports, but it looks like I'm not allowed to post links as this is my first post. Maybe I can post them as a response.

Car #1 is a 2012, Prius IV (mistakenly advertised as a V, but those didn't have the solar package option), with 111,377 miles, for $10,499. I like that it has the moonroof and solar package despite the limitations. I plan to do a lot of camping so the moonroof will be nice and the extra ventilation is gravy. It's also got the tech package with larger touch screen, premium sound (which i was hoping for), HUD etc. I also like the black rims under the caps, which i'd remove. The carfax shows very regular serving.

Car #2 in a 2014 Prius Plug-in Advanced, with 99,008 miles for $10,957. It's the advanced plug in so it's got features i don't even know about, along with the premium sound and HUD etc, and of course the extended electric only range which for much of the time will come in very handy for around town use, although I've read it has a smaller gas tank which would mean more refueling on long trips, which I plan on doing regularly. It's two years newer and has about 10k miles less than car #1, but no moon roof/solar and not my preferred rims. Oh and it has a hitch and roof rails. The carfax on this doesn't detail the services.

Are these a wash? As far as I can tell both are a decent price for my area if not bargains. Both are from an Autonation dealer and are listed as "1price" and "no haggle" so I wouldn't be able to negotiate a lower price, or so I'm led to believe.

Or is neither worth pursuing? I know opinions vary on how many miles is too many for a used Prius. I'd prefer one with fewer miles but the price really jumps. Cars with 50k miles are more like $15k. I've seen one being sold by private party for $13k that had 45k but otherwise it wasn't appealing. I'm not interested in a Gen 4 as there will be a price jump and i happen to find them butt ugly. Don't judge me for wanting a car i find attractive!

Any advice and opinions appreciated.

2. joeynickels

joeynickels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update, car #1 just had price drop to $9862. It's getting more tempting...