1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Me Decide Tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HiccaBurp, Oct 8, 2013.

1. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2nd set of tires on my '07 Prius Touring need to be replaced at 137,000 miles! I do have winter tires/wheels I use. The tires I'm running now are Bridgestone Ecopia EP100. I have had great results with these. My MPG's went up from the factory tires(EL400), the ride was smoother, and wet weather traction was better. Yes, they are summer only, since I have winter tires, it didn't matter. Those are not in production anymore and need help choosing from a few i've narrowed down.

My criteria in order of importance:
    1. MPG's
    2. Tire wear
    3. Noise/feel (tied)
    4. Wet weather performance

My choices are:
    Stock Size: 195/55/16
    1. Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
    2. Michelin Energy Saver A/S
    3. Yokohama dB Super E-spec

+1 Size: 205/55/16
    1. Perelli Cinturato P7 (i've liked Pirellis on my GTI's in the past)
    2. Kumho cowing KH30

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!

2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got the Ecopia EP422. They are the smoothest running, quietest, and best MPG tires I've ever had in my Prius. I run these through Buffalo New York winters, but if I had snows I would use these for 3+ seasons.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe these are available in the US:-

Hankook Eco Kinergy K425 205/55/16 All speed ratings and loads.
    Hankook Ventis Prime 2 K115 205/55/16 XL tyre speed W load 94
    Noise level for both tyres is 70db

These tyres are rated in the UK/EU as being one of the best rated for rolling resistance (mpg) and also for wet grip.
    I have the Eco Kinergy tyres on my own car and at the present rate of ware they will be good for at leased 45,000 miles. This is very high for UK roads. My millage is running at around 65 mpg (UK gallons).
    I have not tried the Ventis Prime but a number of US PC'ers have reported good results.

The Pirelli P7's are not rated as highly for mpg and depending on speed and load rating some are rate poorly.
    The Pirelli P1 Verde is the only tyre from Pirelli that can match the Hankooks.

John (Britprius)

4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Looking on tirerack I don't see either of those sizes available in the Energy Saver A/S. The only size I see in that tire that fits a Gen II properly is the P195/65R15. I'm assuming you don't want to buy 15" rims.

Oh, I do see the Energy Saver (summer tire) in 195/55/16 or 205/55/16, that'd be fine to get.

The Ecopia EP422 would be fine in either 195/55R16 or 205/55/R16. both sizes are nearly identical in RPMs.

The dB Super E-spec says the tires that fit your car are from 2009 so the rubber isn't the freshest. I suppose if you found some cheap they'd be worth getting as they had better reviews but it'd have to be very cheap to offset the age of the tires.

The Pirelli isn't a good size if you get the LRR, if you weren't looking at the LRR I'm not sure which tire as they have a dozen or so Cinturato P7 variations.

Myself I'd go with the Michelin Energy Saver (summer tire) and call it good.

6. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't find the Hankook Eco Kinergy on tirerack.com

I don't see the Ventis Prime 2 does the Ventus S1 noble 2 look the same? Hankook Ventus S1 noble2

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm afraid not, the treads are different. The speed and load rating of the tyres varies the rolling resistance (mpg) considerably so that the speed rating from say a W tyre to an H tyre with some makes of tyre varies a lot. This is really noticeable on the Pirelli P7 range, but as I said in my previous post the Pirelli p1 Verde in the 205 size on paper is a very good tyre getting the same ratings as the Hankook across the board at just a little extra cost.
    Being in the UK not all tyres sold here are available in the US and the same applies the other way round, but the Pirelli numbers are the same.
    All tyres sold in the UK/EU must have the rolling resistance, wet grip, and noise figures quoted on a label fixed to the tyre at point of sale making comparisons much more realistic and meaningful.

John (Britprius)

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the Energy Saver A/S. Best tire in my book, EP422 was number choice for me. EP100 no longer made, EP 422 is the replacement in that brand.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have not checked out TireRack.com, they have a lot of testing results on many of the tires and many reviews from users ...you can select on Prius owners. I believe the EnergySaver A/S tops the ranking in many categories except it gets luke warm positive response on "would you buy again" for some reason.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    luke warm responses probably due to the cost of them - they don't come cheap! Well worth the money IMO!

Just came in from a 350 mile road trip. Asphalt most of the way. Lot quieter than the OEM Integrities. MPG has jumped 6 MPG over the lifetime of the Integrities also. Handles great on various surfaces and does excellent on wet roads. No snow here, so can't comment on that.

11. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you ALL very much for the responses! Couple notes..

1. I have Hankooks on the wife's MPV, 727's I believe. Great tire. The Hankooks Brit recommends are not found here in the US that I was able to find with my search?

2. The Michelin A/S seems like a great tire, however, it's over $200 OTD more then the EP422. Is it THAT much better?

3. Considering i've had good performance from the EP100's, I'm leaning towards the 422 as of now. Would love to find out more about the Hankook options.. just don't see any.

Again.. thanks to all and please keep the comments coming!

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard NO complaints on the EP 422. As I said, that was my second choice. The reason I chose the Energy Saver A/S was the MPG. Yes, they were expensive! But I am very happy with my choice and am getting excellent mileage. I am seeing a difference of 5 to 6 MPG difference over the stock Integrities with no real change in driving habits. I can't compare them to the Bridgestone's since I haven't tried them. I researched the tire choices for a year before making my final choice. The Bridgestone's would have been the choice IF I could not get the Michelin's. It did take some effort to get them as they are hard to find in certain areas. I went to three dealers before I found the set I bought.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Hi HiccaBurp. I'm also on EP100's at the moment and will probably need to replace them some time in the next year. Just wondering, do you have an estimate of how many miles you got out of your EP100's?

14. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Isn't this the thread with an OP that has 16" rims?

You can't get the Energy Saver in the A/S version on 16" rims for the Gen II Prius.

Yes it's a great tire but can you find one in the right size?

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Duh, I totally missed that one! Unless Michelin has changed, I think the OP will have trouble getting the Energy Saver A/S in the size he/she is looking for.

16. tarheeltango

tarheeltango Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a 2007 Touring which I need to get new tires for. I think some got to this point near the end of the thread, but it looks like the Energy Saver A/S is not an option in our tire size (195/55 R16), only the summer is. While we don't deal with a lot of snow here, we do get a fair amount of ice as well as some snow periodically.
    So....what I did see as options at Costco were the Energy Saver summer, the Ecopia EP422....as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I'm trying to see how much of a drop-off in mileage the Pilot sport may be. It gets great ratings in CR, but it's also such a new tire I'm not seeing a lot of info, but re pricing right now I can get it for the same price as the Bridgestones. I've had such good experiences with Michelins in the past.

Any further advice welcomed:)

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Michelin Energy Saver is also not available in 3rd gen optional size 215/45R17, which I would need. Its hit-and-miss size choices, expense and intermittent availability turned me to Bridgestone EP422 as well:

Cheaper, more readily available, better size selection, and close for RR.

Often the devil is in the details: an ultimately superior product dies on the vine, due to niggling shortcomings.

18. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 137,xxx right now. I believe I changed to them around 55/60k. However, I do use snows for a 2-4 months here in Northern IL. If I get a chance, I'll look at my discount tire receipts and see when I installed them, and also when the snows were installed/removed and get a more accurate mileage. My feeling is I'm around 55/60k miles on the EP100's. I will say, the wet weather performance had degraded exponentially in the last few months. The first couple of years they were great in rain!!

19. HiccaBurp

HiccaBurp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As for the Michelin A/S Summer tires. I would love those.. however, at almost $100 a piece more per tire, that is $350-400 for a set of 4!! If someone can justify it to me, please explain the math. I just don't believe they are that much better then the EP422 to justify, if better at all.

I might just wait for the tires. Originally the wife was going to take the Prius to CO on a road trip. However, she is taking her MPV and the urgency of changing tires on the Prius is no longer. I might just wait till the end of next month and install my winter combo. This will give me till spring to get the best deal or, maybe a newer/better tire will come out. My cousin who is a manger at Discount Tire said Hankook is suppose to release some new tires.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok thanks, 55/60k miles is pretty good. I'm on 34k miles (54000 km) with mine and they're currently looking like they'll probably only go about another 10k mile. They might surprise my and last longer though, I'll have to wait and see.

It's probably a combination of the lack of tread and possibly the compound hardening up a bit as well.