1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me decide - to keep or not to keep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Paul Lebow, May 8, 2022.

1. Paul Lebow

Paul Lebow New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi All -
    I purchased a used gen 3 2011 Prius in 2015 for $14K with 38K miles - now is pushing 190K miles. It drives like the day I bought it - almost same MPG 50+. No major work except change synth oil regularly. I'm too lazy to do any other regular maintenance. I know I am nearing the life of the battery and assume problems will begin to creep in.

I love the car and would keep it forever. Pull my Harbor Freight trailer a couple of times a year. Seems the Gen 4 liftgate opening may be a tad smaller - I've hauled stuff that needed a little grease to squeeze in, so every millimeter counts.

If I keep it, what belated maintenance should I do now?

Any thoughts on keeping or selling to buy a 2016 or 2017 Prius at $24K!

Thanks!

Mambo Dave likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For cost effectiveness you keep the 2011 but realize major maintenance could hit soon and hard. Certainly the battery at $2k, the brake booster at $2.4k, an egr rebuild and plugs at $1k and maybe a head gasket at $2.5-$5k.

On the other hand maybe you get lucky for another 25k miles and just do the egr and plugs.

Your 2011 would sell for premium dollars right now and help compensate for the overpriced 2016 or 17. If reliability is more important than saving a few dollars I would upgrade. You could order a new Rav4 Hybrid and wait a few months for it to arrive. That would be my choice.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a car for driving - there is no comparison, the Gen 4 actually feels modern and connected with the road.

Tande likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    find out what yours is worth first, so you can weigh potential repairs and maintenance vs 24k

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    190K, and the egr never cleaned: likely head gasket failure coming soon. And cleaning the egr now doesn't turn back the clock. It's just effing sad, Toyota's stance on this.

BTW, this is more suited for 3rd gen forums.

CR94 likes this.
  6. possumcar

possumcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m in a similar situation. Mine might run for another 50k miles or it might not. I’m seriously considering upgrading.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a good idea, if you can afford it. i read new car prices should start coming down in late '23 or '24.

8. possumcar

possumcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m in a similar situation. Mine might run for another 50k miles or it might not. I’m seriously considering upgrading.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bordering on conspiracy that the economy is set to recover in 1.5 to 2 years !!’

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure that's the reason. if the economy doesn't recover, interest rates and other factors will drop demand.
    competition will force manufacturers and dealers to return to the old model.

and i'm not sure what we are trying to recover from, record shortages and inflation? low unemployment?
    deficit spending?

latest outlook, 'people are expected to spend more than ever this Christmas'