1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me diagnose my transmission(?) issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jfrench, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi all,

2008 Touring with 132k miles, but new-to-me engine and transmission, both at ~150k (long story short, my previous engine threw a rod on the return leg of a road trip, and destroyed the transmission as well). Dealer just completed the replacement 3 weeks ago, and I've been driving normal city type, some highway.

Lately I've noticed this strangeness: occasionally when going over large bumps, I get a strong jerk and the rear wheels seem like they want to keep spinning hard. I notice a medium volume "pop" from directly underneath the center of the vehicle sometimes when accelerating / decelerating to / from a stop.

They did change the transmission fluid when they did the replacement, but he said it had been sitting for a while. I'm wondering if I can do anything to check this myself, or get any info before taking it into a mechanic.

One other thing: my fuel economy has dropped by about 5 mpg, to 39-40 (but could be weather - getting colder in TX).

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is Front Wheel Drive, so no power spins the rear tires, just momentum.
    There should be a center brace about half way back in the middle side to side, be sure it is snug.

This video is about exhaust, but from about 40 seconds to about 1:05 he passes over the brace i mean.It is pretty deat up on this car.

There used to be stiffer braces, but the market has dried up. This one may still be for sale

Sell Prius Generation 2 2004-9 zero clearance Mid-Chassis stiffening plate *Rude person's* motorcycle in Taylors, South Carolina, United States, for US $59.99

#2 JimboPalmer, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    audiodave and Jfrench like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    traction control kicking in, that's normal. just keep pushing the brake pedal harder to slow to you desired speed.
    f/e is definitely the weather, check your tires pressure

Jfrench likes this.
  4. Jfrench

Jfrench Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks y'all. I think I am hypersensitized after the previous failure. I'll take a look at the stiffening plate to see if it's tight / intact.

Also, temps are up this week and my mileage is back to normal :whistle:

bisco and audiodave like this.