1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me do the Math

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paprius4030, May 13, 2007.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ May 14 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]441915[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to see some numbers backing that statement up. I think you got this backwards. The cost of the Prius up front is more and more economical, the more and more gasoline you do not have to use. And the more and more you use the Yaris, the more and more brakes, starters and alternators it needs - items which in a Prius last the life of the car (150 K miles unless the price of gas goes balistic). At 150 K miles the Yaris will need 4 sets of front brakes and 1 set of rears. It will need at least one new starter (more if you hypermile it), and probably an alternator. The Prius will need a new MFD (hopefully they can improve on that). Everything else the cars needs for wear items are identical (starter battery, tires).

The Idaho National Lab has two 2004 Prius test cars which are both at or below $.20 per mile total ownership cost (including purchase price) at 125 K miles. These cars are used all day long in the Phoenix metro area for a delivery service.

There is a break point, probably, depending on what distance the contiguous standard trip length is that the owner takes.

If the owner only takes 2 or 3 mile trips, the Yaris might pay off.

If the owner takes 20 or 30 mile trips, the Prius then pays off. Does not really matter the yearly mileage, just how long the trip length is. Because in a Prius the 20 to 30 mile trip yields 55 mpg in metropolitan traffic, while for the 2 to 3 mile trip its more like 35 mpg (assuming no engine block heater).

And of course, if one is only taking 2 to 3 mile trips, presumably requiring the speed of a car, or the cargo capacity, then most likely an electric car would be best. Which might be economical in 5 years or so.

Over time, the cost effectiveness sweet spot of the standard car will get split between electric and hybrid cars. And the standard car will no longer be a economically practical.