1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me get a Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mario13, May 10, 2012.

1. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am in Florida, so my dealer is in the Southeast Toyota region. Here is my problem....I told my dealer my specifications for the Prius I want. None of the dealers in my area have one on the lot, so they tell me they can try to get one for me, but can't guarantee the exact one or when they will get it. Most dealers are telling me within the next 10-14 days, which is fine, but due to how the system works apparently, it is a little bit of a crapshoot!

The Southeast Toyota website has ones I want coming in almost everyday. However, they don't say which dealer they are going to and the website just refers me to my closest dealer. Can anyone tell me how the system works? Once they come to port in Jacksonville, is it whatever dealer/buyer puts the best bid on it or is it first come-first serve etc? I would really like to be able to say I have this Prius with this VIN on this date in my hands. It's frustrating, but I know it will be worth it when it gets here!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard. Not sure how the racket, err system works but I wish you all the best.

3. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks man!

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here in Minneapolis MN you order what you want. No BS at least at Luther Toyota Golden Valley MN. I ordered mine and it came in a month later at $500 over invoice price.

I looked at that SE region site and it is a mess. I understand that region also tacks on crap that you don't normally get in other states. If you do buy down there beware of dealer add on's.

Most dealers will pick you up at the airport if you buy out of state then you drive your car home.

Mike

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if it helps, but you can work with a dealer out of your region and pay for transport to your home. Not ideal, but maybe better than dealing with screwballs in your area.... A co-worker did that for his Lexus CT....

6. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I am not sure you have to go out of your area,
    but you need to email/call a few other dealers.

That way you are on the boat with a few...and may find yours a bit faster.

If you have no problem going out of your area...than that is what you have to do.
    Good Luck!

7. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my Prius from the local SET dealer, specified color and interior, and model. They said give them 30 days, it turned out they had one off the truck in 7 days exactly as desired and only the bumper protector as an added option already installed. It had no miles (5) like a dealer transfer would have, and was just what I wanted.

8. priusvgator

priusvgator New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also, tell them you do not want the ToyoGuard. It is a waste of money, and if the ship hasn't left the dock yet, then they can cancel adding it.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not sure if Southeast Toyota's process is different, but the way it works elsewhere in the US is the dealers are assigned their allocation of cars (models/colors/features) by the regions. The dealers can "preference" (request) a certain configuration, and the regions will take that into consideration for future allocations. The dealers are notified of their allocations a number of weeks in advance of the cars arriving at the dealers.

10. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got tired of dealing with the dealerships for several weeks in the gulf coast region, trying to find me a car and coming up blank, with no idea when I'd be able to get what I was looking for.

So I finally called Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota in California and had the car shipped to texas. It was easy, we got exactly what we wanted (2 Prii!) and saved $ vs buying them locally, even with shipping.

11. pauln64

pauln64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The way the SE Toyo works is that if you visit a dealer website, it shows all available cars. It'll show the available date but sometimes another link is available for cars on the dealer only.

12. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that is kind of what I was lookin for. I think my dealer may be trying to get one of the cars currently at port that is going to another dealer and trade one of theirs for it...???

13. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got the call from the dealer...they were able to get one! Looks like it will be in on Monday!

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good news!

15. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did you negotiate BEFORE they went looking for one?

16. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup!

17. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome. Otherwise they got you but the family jewels! ;)

18. jroussos

jroussos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just finalized a deal In the central Florida area for a pkg 5 w/tech package. It will a dealer trade. I had dealers from Fort Lauderdale - Tampa- Orlando offering me the same exact vehicle I.e. vin number. Local dealers were telling me that everyone in the SE Toyota area would only sell at MSRP. That was BS.

I went through USAA buying service and received immediate written guaranteed prices via email between $1000 over invoice and $500 BELOW invoice. Dealer fees ranged from $499 -$699.

I used the best offer to begin negotiations with dealers on the phone. Had to watch hidden costs like exorbitant dealer fees. After cutting deal and giving small credit card deposit I got a call that from Hollywood Toyota today telling me he got approval to sell me the car at $1000 UNDER invoice. The same guy told me yesterday that they would only sell at MSRP.

Take your time. Even if you give a deposit you can back out of a deal and get the money back if you have not taken possession of the car. Best to give deposit with credit card. You are buying a commodity, that everyone sells the exact same product.

19. Prei

Prei New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much did you pay for the shipping and how long did it take?
    I am in TX as well and I can't find a IV here at all. Did you pay the CA registration?

20. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great!! I am happy for you.:rockon:

1 person likes this.