1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me make sure it's an A/C compressor failure

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Josey, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My little "snowflake" (so named to amuse/ward off abuse from my brother, and because it's a white Prius, and because my daughter mostly drives it and finds it a fine name) is no longer putting out cold air with the A/C on. So no snow in this Virginia summer so far. It has around 192K on it. Other than the last 30K ish I know very little of it's history, and nothing about whether it's ever needed A/C repairs.

- It does not seem to be the clutch (or belt) because it engages and goes - and then stops - when you cut the A/C on-off. No weird sounds, smells, etc. (And see below about no codes).

- given that, then I shouldn't have to explain that it does not appear to be so low on refrigerant that the system will prohibit the compressor clutch from engaging. I do have one of the cheapie AP store refill gauges (low-side only, of course) and there is plenty of pressure for the compressor to at least kick on - which it does anyway, so that ain't it. I forget the ambient temps when I hooked it up - mid 80s? The gauge is cheap with inadequate markings, but I was looking at like 120psi - which seems probably about right with the hi/lo sides equalized - but most importantly, it didn't budge when the compressor clutch kicked in. I've used the cheapie recharge on other vehicles. It's pretty darned obvious when the compressor kicks on/off.

- Since the gauge shows no effect on pressure of the compressor clutch kicking in, I'm not digging into troubleshooting the interior controls.

- The green A/C button light does not flash at any point with the system on, and I have put it in the A/C diagnostic mode and just get the steady blink of no codes.

ERGO: I'm just thinking that the compressor is blown and simply isn't doing any work. What I find really odd is that the computer doesn't somehow "know" this. It's got an Auto mode which means it's monitoring temps. I went through the A/C codes in my FSM and it seems that there just aren't any codes that would be related to this. Can this be? I can't set my backpack on the passenger's seat without a no seatbelt warning, but they didn't program in a check for actual A/C cooling operation?

Anyway, before I look into this hassle of a repair, I'd just like to know if anyone can tell me whether I'm missing something.

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you have the car turned completely off, and reach in and rotate the clutch pressure plate (the bit showing the triangular center pattern here) by hand, how does it feel?

[​IMG]

The pulley will not rotate easily, because the belt is around it and the engine is stopped, but the center pressure-plate portion should easily rotate by hand, because of course it is disengaged. It should feel as if you are turning a smooth well-oiled machine.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  3. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'll check it out and post the results. Thanks.

4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay, I’m back at this same issue on my 2001 Prius with 98,000 miles . This time I’m in cooler weather, not Palm Springs at 100+. It’s an overcast day here in So Cal.

I have zero diagnostics. No blinking of the A/C button above based on the above testing. I’ve had a scanner on it with no codes thrown.
    I do have heat churning out if that matters.
    I cannot hand turn the part indicated above.

Last time I was at Prius Chat in June a year ago I felt like I went down a rabbit hole here — too complicated for me under 100*. I got a Yellow Jacket pressure manifold and tried to put the correct Freon in but don’t know if I was able to properly connect. The set-up connections were right. It was so frickin hot my brain was fried and I am guessing I don’t have strength in my hands to properly attach the couplers to the inlet port etc. I bought correct Robinair couplers too. Pressures were wacky or nonexistent even after attempting to fill so maybe I don’t know what I was doing. But there was pressure release coming from the vehicle when I attached the manifold which tells me there was Freon in the AC.

The Car AC has never been serviced. I am original owner.

Any ideas now? Seems like I’m in same boat as the original poster. Many thanks.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, or a similar boat, maybe. Or less similar; a lot of details could turn out to be different; the turn-the-pressure-plate test could even be one of them.

My follow-up question to that would be, now with the engine started and a call for cooling, what do you see it do? With the engine running, the pulley around that center plate will be spinning. Under normal conditions, with a call for cooling, that center plate will pull inward toward the pulley, with a clack sound, and start spinning along with the pulley. What does yours do?

Sandy Meyers and WHCSC like this.
  6. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Finally got my hands on the car. With the car off the clutch pressure plate spins easily. It remains the case that when you start the car and turn on the A/C it behaves exactly as it should: clack and spin with the pulley. Turn off the A/C, and it stops spinning with the pulley.

There is still no blinking A/C light or 22 code, but I suppose it's easy enough to measure the pressure plate travel so I guess I'll do that at some point soon.

Other info:
    - When turning the A/C on, the clutch stays engaged until you turn it off. I've had low refrigerant before, both low enough that the computer wouldn't activate the clutch at all, and borderline where it would kick on the clutch, the compressor would drop the pressures so low as to trigger it to kick back off...rise in pressure...back on /off / on etc. - until enough refrigerant went in.
    - The A/C hoses don't change temp at all (just going by feel, but that's plenty close enough).
    - The cooling fans do engage w/ the A/C on.
    - Through the sight glass on the high pressure side I see what I would describe as turbulence.

7. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't know much about ACs in general, but I wonder if you have a vent issue, maybe an actuator not opening a vent to let the cool air inside? On the positive side, these compressors are the easiest to replace I've ever messed with.

8. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you can't turn that part, I'd expect the compressor is locked up. There's another common issue when it turns on and off caused by the clutch plate needing some more shims to help it spin the compressor; it's an inexpensive fix. But I'd expect it would still spin by hand when off if that were the case.

9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You might also read up in threads here about those shims. It will cause the clutch to AC to turn on and off as far as cooling, but I'm not sure whether the clutch keeps spinning to the naked eye, but just isn't actually able to grab the shaft to spin the compressor.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the title says to help you make sure it's a compressor failure, but at this point I'mnot sure I would say that.

Easy spinning of the pressure plate by hand sounds good. I trust you didn't feel or hear any roughness or sense of stuff broken inside? A scroll compressor is mechanically really simple; there are some pictures on PriusChat showing chunks broken off inside failed ones, but if you didn't feel anything weird I wouldn't assume that has happened.

The blinking light or 22 code would be signs of clutch slip: the A/C computer looks at the rpm of the compressor shaft (there's an rpm sensor there). Because it knows the sizes of the pulleys, and it can get the engine RPM by asking the engine controller, it can calculate the rpm the compressor should be turning. If the compressor is turning slower than that (as if the clutch doesn't have enough friction to transmit as much work as the compressor is doing), then you would get the code.

In your case, it sounds like the compressor just isn't doing much work, so it doesn't take much to turn, and the rpms through the clutch are holding up fine, hence no slippage code.

All of those observations to me seem consistent with not much refrigerant being in there, and that being why the compressor hasn't got a lot of work to do. Enough refrigerant to make the low limit of the switch ... or, maybe, the low limit side of the switch is stuck on. Have you checked for that?

The one piece that isn't fitting for me would be the gauge readings you mentioned in the first post. 120 psi strikes me as high. When the system is off and equalized, you should see the equilibrium pressure for R134a at the surrounding temperature. Ok, so I guess that could be in the ballpark if the temp was 98℉ at the time. Does that sound right?

That equlibrium pressure doesn't really tell you how much refrigerant is in there ... you will always see that pressure with that temperature whenever there's enough in there to be part liquid and part vapor. Doesn't have to mean there's much of it.

So I don't know if there might have been something odd about technique when taking those earlier measurements.

@lech auto air conditionin might have more ideas here. I think a lot of ideas from here out might involve having the ability to evacuate and recharge (even testing the pressure switch, 'cause I don't think there's a Schrader valve under it), which might mean an A/C shoppe will be best equipped to find an answer quickly.

Josey likes this.
  11. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You are incredibly generous with your time Chap, and I thank you for it. Thanks to Ron as well.

Spinning the pressure plate was indeed smooth and quiet.

As for the system pressures, the cheapie auto parts low-side hose/gauge I have literally skips from 60psi to 150psi in the space of an inch on the gauge (and with no markings) so that 120psi thing was just sort of a WAG - it was just somewhere in the middle. And it was quite hot at the time. I can take a more careful look and make a better guess at some point soon.

As for the potential of low refrigerant + stuck/bad low limit switch - well that would be a smart thing to check - since if that's true I am just beating up the compressor every time it's on. I'll look into that.

It would be strange to me though that when the clutch kicks it doesn't change the lo side pressure at all. I've got all old cars and have done the AP recharge kits quite a few times. When the compressor kicks, that pressure reading dives. In this case it doesn't so much as twitch.

In any case, I think for as much as I've messed with this stuff (and still have all old cars) it's likely time for me to just buy a manifold set so I can see what's up on the high side.

Thanks again.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is weird, but a scroll compressor is so simple I can scarcely picture a compressor-failure explanation for that, short of the scroll being broken clean off inside yet not feeling at all chunky when you spin it, which boggles my mind.

Paging @lech auto air conditionin ... maybe that happens more often than I think, or there's some other likely cause he would know about.

I still want there to be some piece of this picture I'm just not picturing yet.

13. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Don't waste your money on a manifold set from Harbor Freight. I messed with mine on my truck for a while before I figured out it was leaking somewhere.

14. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Ron. I assume it was the $60 Pittsburg.

15. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, next thing I have to do is put that cheapie gauge on a known working A/C system and see if the gauge is reading right. I have no reason to suspect not by how it behaves - but it's still cheap and used.

Searching around some I did come across reference to 2 other things - one being a stuck open expansion valve and the other a blocked orifice tube. I'm just going to locate manifold set (though I guess not from Harbor Freight) so I also know what's up on the high side. That should tell the story.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A system generally will use one or the other. My old Bronco II used an orifice tube. A Prius has an expansion valve.

A stuck-open expansion valve and a blocked orifice tube are pretty much opposite things. :)

By the way, in case it comes to the expansion valve, Toyota built in a shortcut for removing the blower housing (needed for access to the valve) without taking the whole instrument panel out.

There is a plastic crosspiece below the glove-box door that can be cut in two places (marks for the two places are molded right in). When cut in those two places and removed, it allows the blower housing to come out even with the dash in place.

After putting things back together, there's a little metal brace as a repair part. It has screw holes that line up with molded-in screw locations near the two cut points, so it installs with screws right where the cut-out piece was, good as new.

17. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The part where systems generally only have one or the other I didn't know. But the part about the opposite things I'm onto, I think. Stuck open expansion valve basically means a lack of restriction and something like too free a flow in the system so the pressure needed to liquefy the gas just won't happen. Clogged orifice means blocked and nowhere for stuff to flow. (So too much flow vs not enough flow). But if the Prius has only expansion valve and no orifice, now irrelevant.

This is yet more incredibly helpful info for me if it comes to this, and I thank you again for being so generous with your time and knowledge.

Sigh. I do have a very reputable local shop that specializes in auto HVAC. I hate not being able to fix my own shi....tuff. But I also might bite the bullet and take it in. But I'm getting a manifold set first!

18. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Probably, but it's buried in the garage somewhere now.

19. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    :LOL: Got just a few things like that in my garage too.

20. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I hear that. I don't mind so much letting someone else do the work when I know what needs to be done, or if I still lived near Dallas where I had two different very honest techs. But going into an unknown shop or dealership not knowing what's wrong is terrifying. It's why I have several cars that aren't running right now even though I know it's just something minor. Minor to a tech means $2000.