1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Me Narrow Down My Options Please!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GreyXenon, Apr 9, 2017.

1. GreyXenon

GreyXenon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you all think is the best option of these? I haven't had a car for the past 10 years (good public transit and zipcar acct) but now need one due to a career change. I don't know much about cars as a result, though I learn fast and have been reading up.

I have settled on a Prius and looking to spend up to around $10k. I am a tinkerer and I'm sure I'll be able to do a bunch of maintenance/modifications myself once I put some time into learning.

Looking for the best value of these offers. Assume the condition is Very Good and no mechanical issues for comparison. I don't have a good sense for just how nice the IV's are compared to the II's, so some feedback around that would be helpful for me here. I really would like to have nice sound, so the upgraded speakers in the IV appeal to me - though I'd be willing to upgrade them myself (assuming it's possible) on a II if the cost is appropriate.

$9,900 - 2014 Prius TWO NOT II ONLY 2010 USED UPPERCASE ROMAN NUMERALS FOR MODEL DESIGNATION 82k miles
    $9,999 - 2010 Prius IV, 72k miles
    $9,999 - 2012 Prius TWO NOT II91k miles
    $7,500 - 2010 Prius IV, 134k miles

A couple are dealers and a couple are private. I've never bought a car from a dealer so I don't know what to expect regarding additional bullshit fees they'll try to tack on. I am assuming the listed price would be negotiable for the dealers but some feedback on a typical % by which their lowest price is inflated would be helpful too.

Thanks for any info you have for me!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!!

Here's a link to the 2014 brochure. http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/toyota/2014-prius.pdf Scroll down to about the third page from the last to see the features for each model number. You should be able to find the other model years with a search. I used, "prius 2014 brochure toyota."

If I was the one shopping, I'd go for the '14 since it's so much newer. It still has fairly low miles for a Prius, but it looks like it's been driven enough that the traction battery hasn't languished from lack of use. (Not that the others are all that bad.) But, before deciding, see if you can get the VIN. If you have that, you can look up the service records, if any, at Toyota's website. Also, you might want a carfax to see if it's been in an accident or flood.

I take it that you've already considered whether your expected driving distances and frequency will make the Prius a good fit for your lifestyle? Happy shopping. (y)

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agree with jerry^. if the '14 is issue free, has a good maintenance record and no accidents, that's how i would go.
    but if you really want the up optioned 4, beware that 2010's have some issues, not the least of which is oil burning.
    all the best!(y)

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3G Prius (2010-2015) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

For information on the Prius. The 2014s are in the Excel spreadsheet at the bottom of the post.

The 3rd gen was updated for 2012 so the 2012 and 2014 will look the same visually with updated front bumpers, front/rear lights, slightly better graphics for the 5" MID.

The 2012 and 2014 will have a 6.1" Display Audio LCD screen while the 2010s will have a regular radio headunit (unless navigation was specified, then it will come with a 7" LCD)

RCO likes this.