1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me out.. Looking to replace stock head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by red90sev, Oct 7, 2016.

1. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I want to upgrade the stereo in my 08. I have the navigation screen but not the upgraded sound system. So, I want to buy a double din that can still be controlled by the steering wheel functions. I was looking at some of the Pioneer head units but am unsure what to get. Price range I'm looking to spend on it is $200-$350. I am experienced with audio gear and have installed many amps/subs/head units in my older cars, but wanted to ask about this one since it's newer and I know sometimes things don't work as they should as newer cars are more picky. Anyone have a recommendation as to what the best bang for my buck would be for a nice head unit of that nature? Thanks!
    Also wanted to add, I'll also be installing an Alpine MRV-F300 amp (50w rms per channel) in the mix with a new set of speakers and an Alpine PWE-S8 compact powered 8 inch subwoofer under the trunk mat.

#1 red90sev, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. red90sev

red90sev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking at buying this head unit. PIONEER AVH-X4800BS. How do I keep the stock volume control, or can I?

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there is a metra axxess unit which interfaces the steering wheel buttons. I used it on my '04 and it worked great. also a scosche adapter harness with the 68ohm resister wired in so the climate controls work correctly. I jammed the biggest speakers I could find into the doors and used alpine tweeters and the system sounded excellent compared to the JBL in my '06. I had to use spacer rings in the front doors so the windows wouldn't hit the speakers.

Tomek310 likes this.