1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me pick one of these Prii! :) First time buyer + long time fan

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Stevphe, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    (posted this in the Gen III prius forum as well)

Hello everyone! love this forum and thanks in advance for your input!

So.. I'm looking at purchasing my first Prius and am weighing the options etc. I'm tossed between two and could use all of your input!

Car 1: 2012 Prius Plug-In, all the same features as the next car but no solar sun roof. I really wanted the solar sun roof it just seems so cool considering my car sits out in the open sun every day. I do live in the northeast though so I'm not sure I'd get as much use out of it as someone in the southwest but I still see a conisderable amount of use. This car would be used but with VERY low miles.. almost new.

Car 2: 2013 Prius 3 or 4 new.. solar sun roof option.

They would be roughly the same price.

TO SUM IT UP:

Pro Plugin: My daily work commute is about 15 miles total (Yes, I'm very fortunate in this regard) and I feel like the plug in would be good for this.
    Cons: No sunroof and would be 2012 model.

Pro Prius 3 or 4: Solar roof, 2013 year, get to pick some extras and get it new. Maybe better financing options..
    Cons: No plug-in ability for my commute :(

Agh.. help! is the solar roof> Plugin or Plugin<Solar roof
    Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    these are really two completely different options. i'm not a sunroof guy, so i can't help you there. since you haven't mentioned mileage or prices, i assume they are outside the equation. but in the northeast, you should be getting a sweet deal on the plug in, since they have been greatly devalued with huge incentives on new ones. i would drive them both and see how they feel. reset your trip a, and see what the mpg's look like on a similar long drive. charge up the pip and see how far you can go before the engine comes on. can you plug in at work? my commute is 15 miles and it's fine in summer, but in weather below 70 degrees, i need to plug in at work to make it home on electric, if that is a concern of yours. the solar sunroof would certainly be good on our 90 degree summer days, but testing might be difficult in the next week or two. all the best!(y)

3. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they are different but I'm asking for opinions, given my scenario and view. I know there are alot of seasoned Prius owners and I want to know their thoughts :D

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm assuming the pip is used, or are there still new '12's on the lot?

5. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

As far as financially I'd end up saving only a couple hundred (max) a year with the plug in but I believe it would be more benificial environmentally as well.. which is something that I apreeciate. It would just be really nice not to have to get into a blazing hot car as well...

I cannot plug in at work unfortunately.. but its exactly 6.9 miles each way.

For the people who have the solar sun roof, is it really as good as I think it is?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the plus side for the pip, for the small amount of really hot days we have in the northeast, the pip a/c ice like ice and cools down really quickly. maybe all the gen III's are, but it's definately colder than my '08.

7. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's used with under 10k miles. 2012.. basically almost new.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, like i said, make sure the price is right. if it's a base model, i'm guessing 22K?

9. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure.. here it is.. let me know what you think.. If I got a new 4 I'm assuming it would be around the same price.

10. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Given the two options, being a plug in guy, I vote YES for the 2012 Prius Plug In. It's neat having the opportunity to drive all electric, even if it 10-13 miles on average. I have a short commute and I drive all electric both directions. Very few can say that. The Prius solar sun roof is a neat concept. It's expensive and adds a lot of weight. Even more reason to put that money towards a Prius Plug In.

11. Stevphe

Stevphe New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks -1- really apreeciate that feedback. Mind taking a look at the link and let me know what you think?

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Plug In Advance, low miles, good price. As long as it's in good shape, no negative history, Go, Go, Go for it.

13. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a Silver 2012 Advanced, a co-worker has the same color Prius 4, with the solar roof. He is VERY envious of my mileage, and wishes his car didn't have the sunroof due to the weight. I say go for the PiP.
    If your charging situation at work changes in the future, you can pre-cool the car using grid power by hitting the A/C button on the key fob. (or using the App, if you get a plug-in advanced)

14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I take my daughter to work 15.3 miles round trip. All EV in late spring, summer, early fall. Rest of year and winter down to -20 f gas mileage is between 110-160 MPG. I vote for Plug-in! :)

15. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I own a PIP. The majority f my trips are within 10 miles. Current life time fuel efficiency 179 mpg (gas only). Over the last 350 miles I am averaging 780 mpg. I am very happy.

16. mwbprius

mwbprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you are still looking you can buy my 2012 advanced with less than 4000 miles for 32k. Its gray. Mint condition. Never driven in the winter. Always garaged. In Connecticut. With a matching full size spare.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't see the link?

18. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Apart from me being in the UK your PiP option is very close to mine. I had 15k miles on the clock, got it at about two-thirds the new list price after gvmt incentive (it gets knocked off the price here). My commute is 25m each way, but I can plug in at work, so get just under 100mpg US. You'll do even more EV; drive sensibly (and you quickly change your habits!) and you'll be forgetting where the filler cap is... Regardless of the money saved, that's just a really nice feeling.

19. awall

awall New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Plug-in. you can turn on the AC remotely a couple of minutes before you leave your desk.

20. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I vote for the PiP as well. Most of your miles will be on EV, avoiding the warm-up penalty you would have with the regular Prius for short trips. You will probably save on insurance costs, and possibly licensing fees by buying the used PiP. Good luck, whatever you decide.