1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me please!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Melissa M, May 17, 2023.

1. Melissa M

Melissa M New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really need some advice help anything! 2 years ago I was lucky enough to be able to get a deal on a Prius 2011. I had already followed family advice and had a Chevy Cruze 2012 that anyone knows anything about those yeah awesome for me. 2 days ago my low air sensor came on 6 weeks ago I had replaced my front two tires. I filled up my tires the sensor didn't go off looked around on the internet talked to a few friends not 100% familiar with hybrids but they do work on non-hybrids said it's most likely a sensor. Okay I want to cry this is money I don't have but doable. Well yesterday on the way home from picking up my toddler my ABS light my traction light my brake light the exclamation point in a circle in parentheses like and obviously the low air is on while I'm driving. Obviously I'm freaking out bad traffic in Wilmington North Carolina and I have half the breaking power I had before no immediate stops. Went half a mile this morning to AutoZone had sensors red and my brake power booster needs to be replaced the ABS pump and motor need to be replaced I have a code c1391 abnormally of ACC pressure. Basically the dude I understand which I'm taking with the grain of salt said your car might not even be worth fixing. I have less than 120,000 miles I know on two cars is that right that one I can't drive at all and the other is not safe at all. And I am a single parent with no family and no support system I also where can a restaurant so not a lot of money honestly like most people not even enough money to buy groceries and pay bills what do I do? Other than continuously have an anxiety attack. I already have anxiety to the point that I could probably power this whole city they learn how to figure that out I might just be going for the whole state now.

One other thing Friday I found like chewed up travel baby powder that I had all over the floor in my car. Also a lollipop that had been chewed up. I know it's a mouse or rat there's a lot of stray cats and I checked my car I can't find it doesn't mean it's not living in there 24/7 or the possibility it goes in there at night I have not been able to find a nest anywhere. I have a lot of crap in my car and some dirt and like straw wrappers and stuff but I don't have any food so is it possible that any of this could be for a mouse chewing on a wire? And how would I find that out because I don't have the money to literally diagnose it anyway other than what I did let alone get it fixed.

I really appreciate any assistance and I read a lot of your chats and forms and you guys are pretty good on the info to each other. I was also informed that all the parts can only be through the Toyota dealership and obviously very expensive.

2. Melissa M

Melissa M New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize talk to text sucks on my phone. And I probably didn't help that I'm trying not to cry. Oh definitely didn't help but there's something wrong with my phone as well oh and my washer broke Friday. So yay adulting is so much fun! Obviously extreme sarcasm I feel like I was not adequately prepared for the world life I don't know existence.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish we could help, but unfortunately, you're in a tough situation. most here would not recommend purchasing a 2011 prius if you don't have serious money to repair, or cannot diy.
    it is likely that you need a new brake booster at a cost of around $2,500.
    and who knows what other expensive systems might need to be repaired in the future if you do spend the money to fix it.
    i wish i had better news, but many 2010-2015 prius are dogs. i'm sorry for your misfortune.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are two things under the hood of your car for the brake system:

[​IMG]

The issue you're reporting can be caused by either one of them, but it's usually the top one there.

Toyota's list price on that is around $700. You can click some Toyota dealers on this page to see their discounted pricing:

Brake Master Cylinder | Part #4705047150 | Toyota Auto Parts

Then of course there is labor to install it, but there might be a shop near you with reasonable labor rates.

Less often, the problem can be the lower unit shown in my picture. That part is also around $700 list:

Pump Assembly, Brake Booster | Part #4707047060 | Toyota Auto Parts

Sometimes people decide it's best to just replace both at once and call it a day, and it's easy to think that way when money isn't tight.

If it were my car, I would start by trying to find any sign of which unit is at fault (more on that later). Even if I couldn't, I might start with the top one alone, just playing the odds.

The bottom one makes a sound when it runs, kind of like a quiet rattlesnake. You usually hear it when you open the driver's door in the morning, and every few times you use the brakes. Sometimes you hear it when you're not using the brakes. Have you been hearing it? About normally often? More often? Less often?

Hearing it does not mean it is the problem. It has a job to do, and makes that sound when doing it. But knowing how often you've been hearing it, or not hearing it, might help us think more about where the problem might be.

If you don't ever hear it at all, your furry tenants might have electrically disconnected it.

Edit: be careful with the "brake master cylinder" part number I linked above. There are different part numbers depending on whether your car came with the 15" or 17" wheels. The "what this fits" on the Toyota web site used to say which was which, but they fubared that recently. The search where you put in your VIN might work better.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I talked to a lady here for a few weeks her and son living in Gen3. With issues similar to yours . She finally got a job with Lockheed SC . And has been able to buy parts and fix her gen3 which they're not living in any more. It can be done . She wrenched it herself. I lent moral support and code deciphering. best of luck .

6. Melissa M

Melissa M New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for responding either way. As much as I feel like I'm out of money I actually got the car for $2,000. So I'll just have to figure something out I guess but I won't feel as bad about the Prius as i do about the Chevy. I may have some options if I can find the parts for it getting it fixed.

bisco likes this.