1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me ponder my decision

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Mar 1, 2007.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 1 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]398572[/snapback]</div>
    I'll play match maker here..........go to the dolphin thread in FHP. There are pictures of him there. He's attractive. He seems to take care of himself and he's intelligent. I'm putting the $50,000 grand down that he'd need for the Tesla on a bet that he wouldn't dare inhale cigarette toxins in his lungs. And, he loves cats.

Back on topic...I really appreciated Naterprius post. Excellent perspective. Taking this into consideration, you'd really have to be ok that you're taking the risk of getting minimal return on your investment to purchase one of these cars.

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 1 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]398556[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I gotta agree with this advice. Even though I LOVE EVs and would be tempted to go for a guy who had one it wouldn't be good if everything else wasn't there. I would just be tempting because even though I could also financially afford to get a Telsa my penny pinching side of me would stop me from getting one. I plan to stick to the cheaper EVs in the $10K range. That way I get my EV just not with as much style which I can live without being raised poor earlier in my life.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to shut down the laptop now. It's time to pack my bag for my return flights home. I'll respond to the above questions and comments tonight or tomorrow. Keep 'em coming!

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 1 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]398577[/snapback]</div>
    Dolphin thread??

Hey, I wish it was that easy to find the right person. I guess some do find love online. :mellow:

I think at 42 now I'm just to darn picky. Since I'm pretty financial stable now I don't really need to find a Sugar Daddy. BUT a Telsa....hmmm that's got me thinking LOL :lol: (I could even take it easy on you Daniel and you could get me a Rav4 EV ;) ) PLUS I will even occasionally let you drive my Rav4 while your waiting on your Telsa. Just don't drive me nuts while your waiting for your shinning new hot rod Telsa.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Mar 1 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]398574[/snapback]</div>
    That's what would have me worried. Especially if by then a few other cheaper EVs aren't out on the market.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I refuse to reply to this thread because just reading it makes me want to cry.

I want a Tesla!!!!

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good work, Koa. Not only will Daniel have a rockin', cool EV, he'll have a gal pal to enjoy it with. We should set up some type of a venue for applications.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 1 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]398556[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I don't know if this was intentional, but "Errors and Emissions" is pretty funny in the context of this thread.

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you can afford to gamble on losing the deposit, then by all means go for it. You only go around once, and some day you'll think, I had the cash to get in on a Tesla and didn't do it. I have an ulterior motive, though, if enough folks don't take a risk and buy these cars, then how am I going to pick up a used one in a few years? Seriously though, it is a gamble, and only you can really know if you can afford and want to take that risk.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Mar 1 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]398552[/snapback]</div>
    No incentive that I know of in WA. In fact, there's no personal income tax in WA.

I am not going to buy a used car.

We don't get that much adverse weather in Spokane. This is the dry side of the state. But it should perform as well as another rear-wheel-drive car. Plenty of weight over the drive wheels.

Who says it's overpriced? It's less than half the price of a tzero, the only other car you can compare it to. It is indeed aimed at people who can afford an expensive car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 1 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]398556[/snapback]</div>
    No Tesla Roadsters have been shipped yet. No production vehicles have been built yet. Only prototypes.

Your advice is very sound. But at this stage of my life, never having had a relationship, I'm not going to reject a woman just because she's interested in my car or my money. However, I'd definitely have a pre-nuptial agreement!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 1 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]398572[/snapback]</div>
    40-ish is young, if you are healthy. Some 40-year-olds are hot. Some look old already.

I have never smoked. Except for my heart and my prostate (which you can read about in Fred's) I am healthy. I jog 3 miles. I hike in the mountains. Nothing technical, but I have walked trails that gained over 4,000 feet in a day's hike, and in the season, often do trails that gain 3,000 to 3,500 feet. My heart problem is an arrythmia. Nothing ischemic. And I am definitely available. I'm 58, but you can see from my pictures in Fred's, I could pass for 50, and am healthier than most 40-year-old American men (the fast-food couch potatoes).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Mar 1 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]398574[/snapback]</div>
    The base price is $92 K. The out-of-area fee brings it to the $100 K I quoted earlier as the price for me.

Who knows what the resale value would be? If they drop their price, it will drop. If the demand is greater than the supply it will rise. If a lot of people are just waiting until it's been out for a year, demand could skyrocket. Resale value is not my top concern. I'd have my EV and I'd be able to pass easily on the freeway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 1 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]398592[/snapback]</div>
    A friend of mine found a great guy on-line. They are perfectly matched, and are very happy two years down the line. I get no responses or replies on match-dot-com.

I'm probably too picky also. And location is an issue. There's lots of places I would not ever consider living. Basically, any big city is out.

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, whatever happens Daniel, I think we're all very interested to know how both your Tesla decision turns out, and if the romance situation goes your way too. I wish you the best of luck on both! We might need to start a "relationship advice for Daniel" thread, given the interest that's been shown here. ;)

p.s. I think my biggest question on the Tesla is still the life and replacement cost of the battery. If you have to spend $60k on a new battery in 5 years, that might be rough.

p.p.s. are there any documented cases of PriusChat.com facilitating matchmaking? It seems logical, people with similar interests/mentailties... if not, be the first! If so, make it a trend!

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Wow NO snow (or very little) and NO income taxes. This is looking good LOL

The no income tax is just for the state though right? You still have to pay Federal right. I pay in SO much in taxes for my business it makes me sick everytime I write out my quartley taxes. BUT since I have my own business and it allows me to move I should put Washington on my state of possiblities. This WI weather is driving me nuts. We just got over 12' on snow and more is coming down now. :(

I'm suprised you haven't gotten any responses on match.com Maybe mention you have money (if you indeed do) and maybe that will help you? (Hey, you said that didn't matter to you)

14. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Mar 1 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]398609[/snapback]</div>
    Register it as a wedding gift!

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 2 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]399127[/snapback]</div>
    Is that a typo, or did you actually get 12 feet of snow???

We do have snow in Spokane. But it doesn't sit there all winter long, like it does in ND, just getting deeper and deeper until it melts in spring and floods. Instead, it falls, stays for a few days, and then melts. And after a week or two there's some more, etc.

I don't think Seattle gets snow. But they get 360 days of rain per year. The folks on the coast can correct me if I'm off by 3 or 4 days.

Of course I have to pay federal income tax, as well as property tax. I do not know if there is income tax for businesses! There is no personal income tax. This makes WA a very regressive state with a poor job and work climate, as it makes the entire tax structure more regressive. The state still needs to raise revenues, but the lack of a personal income tax merely shifts the burden from the rich to the poor. I support organizations agitating for an income tax, even though it would hurt me, because it's just more fair. I came here to be close to British Columbia, not to escape from taxes.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 1 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]398403[/snapback]</div>
    DON'T do it Daniel, you have a great car now and the risk isn't worth it. If you stressed over getting the Prius from Toyota a multi-billion dollar company just think how much stress you'll be under with this possible fly-by-night company. Have a talk with the little boy inside and insist he waits. One year won't kill you but a year of waiting might.

Wildkow

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 13 2007, 03:46 AM) [snapback]404746[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Good advice. I am going to wait a bit, and will re-consider when there's a reliably-certain production date.