1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me refurb a 2017 Prius V with 150,000 miles

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul Anderegg, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At work, I have a 2017 Prius V, that is run for two 9 hour shifts, 5 days a week. It currently has 150,000 miles (240,000 kilometers) on it, and was scheduled to be replaced in the fall with a new vehicle. Due to COVID, that replacement is being put off until the end of next year, so I need to make this car make it past 200,000 miles. This Prius V was a replacement for a 2013 Prius V that "double-died", engine and main drive battery had to be replaced at 130,000. Other than BOTH (all) drive systems dying, the previous Prius had no other mechanical or electrical issues. If you are wondering, replacing the engine and battery system in a Prius is around $8000.

With that in mind, I am looking for recommendations for refurbing this vehicle to ensure it makes it well past 200,000 miles (320,000 kilometers). It currently gets whatever the dealers service charts indicate are required maintanance for each 5000 mile service stop interval. I am already recommending to my company that we have the main Hybrid drive battery terminals removed, cleaned, and and reinstalled...this was probably what triggered the system to indicate battery failure on the old dead Prius. Taking the vehicle out of service for very long periods, or rebuilding the engine, are not really viable options. I would very much though like to have a list of service requests we can throw at the car, which would preempt any common concerns or issues these cars deal with at this type of mileage. The car spends inordinate amount of time "on" and idling on and off while parked with a worker inside. Once we refurb it, we will litterally run it until the wheels fall off, because after putting a new engine, hybrib drive battery, and full set of tires on the old Prius ($8500+), the dealer that installed all of that gave us $500 trade in on the vehicle for the new Prius!

Paul

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Clean the egr circuit and install an oil catch can;).

The battery should be fine with the jokes and frequency you use the Prius:).

I had our 2010 make it to 200k miles and those would be the things I'd do to make it there(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with the eagle, egr for sure and the oil catch can especially if its burning oil. Does it burn oil? Be sure you have the brake fluid properly flushed using Techstream's flushing procedure. I would not worry about the battery other than possibly checking the battery cooling fan for dirt and clogs.

The battery will probably last because it is only three years old regardless of being used for 150k miles so far. I wonder about the long idling periods based on recent checks on my 2012. I find the engine cools to 150F with long idles and then cycles back to 200F when driven while the idling hv battery hoovers around the low mark. It may be possible to cause preignition especially when the pistons have been carboned up. Combine that with the oil slugging via the pcv into the intake manifold (eg the purpose of the catch can addition) and the lack of proper egr function due to clogging of the egr cooler and you may have a recipe for a blown head gasket and in some cases a bent rod after hydro locking.

So spend the money on the egr ($800 at my dealer) and the oil catch can. Hopefully the 2017 is not burning oil. The likely replacement may be the 2021 Venza hybrid, scheduled this year, with the same mpg in a larger, more powerful wagon.

By the way, taking an old Prius or any high mileage car to a dealer means its going to an auction where they may clear $500 while a used car dealer cleans it up and sells it for $4k-$6k. So next time you have one that is refurbed as your 2013, sell it yourself.

#3 rjparker, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Tim Jones and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I doubt your employer will go for the installation of an oil catch can since it's illegal. Altering the emmisions system (even in a positive way) will result in the vehicle failing emissions inspection -- and you're in California, so that's required. Even if your employer would go for it, your dealer won't install it.

You've found a dealer that acknowledges the EGR system clogging is an issue, and will completely clean it?

fotomoto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What a world, when professional, by-the-book and legal maintenance is pretty much a death-sentence for an engine.

Montgomery likes this.
  6. Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, researched the oil catch can, that's gunna be a big negatory good buddy.

As for the EGR, after reading some of the descriptions of what a faulty EGR can do to the engine, I am thinking old Prius V had a clogged EGR. The problem that led to the complete IC engine replacement, was a knocking rattling sound for about 10-15 seconds on startup in the cold...cold being 40-50F in So California. It sounded like a broken belt flapping around, then would clear itself, and not come back again until the car was left to sit for hours in the chilly cold. It ran completely normal except for that, and when taken to the dealer, they just went ahead and said it needed a new engine. Sound like it was just an EGR that was gummy in the cold?

As for the battery, old Prius V was operating perfectly normal, then while driving, basically every dash light came on and stayed on, and and it would only run on the IC engine. How a battery can go from perfectly normal operation to complete and total failure...INSTANTLY, is beyond me, which is why i think it was corroded battery connection plates that perhaps caused enough resistance to trigger a voltage or similar sensor to put the car into safe mode. So when you say the battery should be fine...yeah, should, but the last V we had, like I said, got an entire battery replacement at 135,000.

Both of these repairs were done by the dealer...it's a corporate account, so we take the car, and they just do whatever they want, and we give them whatever money they ask for in return. One time, we dropped the car for an oil change, and got it back with a hole in the bumper filled with bondo, and hidden buffing marks from where they crashed the Prius and tried to cover it up without telling us anything happened to it. It would not suprise me if the car only needed repairs and instead was just given $8000 of serive orders for full replacement of components.

Pau;

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Texas a consumer is unlikely to prevail on any legal issue against a corporation. As a result, the dealers are not all that worried about telling you the truth especially when you come in knowing as much or more than the service advisor. In my case the $800 quote included a new stainless egr cooler and the rest cleaned. One thing to remember is that independent shops will often not realize what the scope of the problem is until they tear it down and your engine is in a hundred pieces. Then its egr cooler replacement because they can't clear the thing.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Best to show up with at least your own (clean) cooler. Savvy independents doing this often would likely keep an extra pre-cleaned cooler on hand, a la @Raytheeagle.

Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am quite sure the catch can does not technically cause more pollution but can be a problem when someone does not routinely empty the catch can. Given most people can't be bothered to check the oil at fillups (when is the last time you saw anyone doing it at a gas station) then the catch can will fill and clog up the pcv system.

The battery will "seem" to operate normally until it fails. But in reality it will charge/discharge very fast, sometimes within a few minutes, it may discharge (by gauge) at a stop light, it may cause lugging and pre-ignition on acceleration with no battery power added whatsoever. Again, most people don't notice these things until the triangle of death appears. As stated, I am convinced long idle periods with the ac running in hot climates just accelerates the problem.

The engine failure was probably exactly that except on a normal car it would have been called a blown head gasket. On a gen3 Prius that rattling sound is likely to be water and or oil in the cylinder but its burned off when the engine keeps running and you are seemingly good. A cleaned egr cooler and a new head gasket at first recognition might do it except the oil burning would remain. So dealers and some independents don't recommend a head gasket / egr job because a) it could happen again within 50k because of the underlying oil consumption and b) their book says a head gasket job is engine out because of poor access to the timing chain which must be removed. So they would rather put in a "new" engine (99% it was a low mile used engine) to "fix" the oil burning as well.

The better solution is to trade it (by private sale if the old one still runs) for a 2016 or 2017. Or wait a few months and buy the new hybrid Venza which is larger and gets the same mpg as the v. With much improved hybrid technology.

#9 rjparker, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Remember the smog stations vary;).

I had mine installed the last time it went through and the shop didn't check:cool:.

But he is also a member here and has a catch can installed on his ride:).

Just an example from the great state of California(y).

Montgomery likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used to have a clean one at the ready, but with a pressure washer, it's not required;).

We cleaned three of them at one meetup in 20 minutes once;).

But having one on hand isn't a bad idea(y).