1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me select a prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jdotPT, Sep 15, 2017.

1. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I've decided I want to buy a prius. My initial budget was $10k to 12k. I've found that you can find some quite nice ones in the $12k to 15k range, 2012-2014 or so. I've done a fair bit it of research. I used to own a Honda Insight so I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm getting into (I understand the prius is nicer and drives better).

So this morning I came across this: XXXX

(oopps, apparently I'm not permitted to post links)

Can someone help? :)

This car is about 3-4 hours away from me. I was hoping that someone on here could offer some advice. This looks like cosmetic and/or stuff that could be fixed with parts from a junk yard. I realize the battery is back there but this doesn't seem to have affected the battery. Thoughts? For this price, I'd be willing to take a little risk...

If this doesn't work out, expect a more detailed post asking for more advice. Thanks a ton for any assistance. This seems like a great community.

Cheers!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    can't help without a link, can you type in the web address?

3. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's try this, site is
    bestrex

(woudln't let me post a sneaky link)- I'm really sorry mods!

Should be obvious which car it is. The prius for $3k. Sorry for the issue. I didn't realize I would not be able to post a link. (bottom left on my screen)

bisco likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you've never owned a prius, don't get a $3000 one

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bingo. Yes. Again, really sorry for trying to break the rules here. I just got excited. (won't let me quote your text since it contains a link)

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it mentions collision damage I would be concerned about chassis and alignment issues.
    No mention if it is a salvage title,

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very true. I think it states clear title though. The photos don't look bad at all. It was clearly rear ended. If the frame wasn't bent I think I'd be in the clear. With a $3k car I would just purchase liability coverage.

My friend just pointed out that this is a prius I, which means it was likely part of a rental fleet. Frankly, this makes me feel even better. I could see a rental company having an across the board policy that they just sell and replace cars that are rear ended...

9. bigrin

bigrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have the time, go and check it out. If it powers up, see how it drives. If it drives well, don't worry about the mileage. With proper maintenance, these vehicles drive forever.

10. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I called and the guy said it was gone after being posted for 2 hours. He apologized and said he's about ready to change his number he's had so many callers.

Back to the drawing board...

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Kyleidoscope

Kyleidoscope New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what your budget is but I just picked up a basically brand new 2015 Prius for a little over 15k. It has 28,000 miles and is spotless with a regular maintenance record and original manufacture's warranty (it is also Certified Preowned). We mainly cared about something with low miles and a spotless record and CPO. But, in my research I saw you can pay as low as $13,000 and still get a great, almost like new car.

Good luck!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's already gone from their listings. if you have a $10-12,000. budget, i would try to find something in that range, unless you're a good mechanic with electronic skills.

RCO likes this.
  13. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your time and effort. I should probably make a new thread and may do that. So my budget is $10-15K. There seems to be A LOT of choices. Even certified ones. Many under 50k miles.

So next big question... it seems the plug-ins are just as cheap or cheaper. I've done my share of reading on them so I'm familiar with the details. Since they are virtually the same price, is there any reason I should not get a plug-in? I mean- I like the idea of readily available parts for the regular (battery). But I feel like either one could reach 150k to 200k miles with little worry.

Thoughts? Thanks!

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are referring to a plugin Prius, it is basically the same car with a different, slightly larger battery, plugin charger and different software. It will have slightly better gas mileage in HV mode than the Prius due to larger battery capacity. @bisco is one person here with a plugin.

bisco and RCO like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you already know the details, i would go for it.the only reason they are so cheap, is because toyota couldn't sell them, and dropped their pants to move them off the lots on the east coast, same as what has been happening with the current prime.

#15 bisco, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the plugin has about 11 miles EV range when you plug in to charge. correct?

17. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prodigyplace- yep 11 miles is what I've heard/read. Which, my commute happens to be... (wait for it...) 5 miles one way. So I could in theory do A LOT of driving with EV only. So that is appealing to me.

I really haven't read any horror stories about the pip gen I.

@bisco and others: would you mind chiming in on any thought about this one? It's top of my budget really but completely doable from that standpoint. I like the color.

Cars for Sale: Certified 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid for sale in Hanover, PA 17331: Hatchback Details - 457255102 - Autotrader

For some reason- I had to go to the dealer's site to get the actual car fax. Here it is: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=JTDKN3DP5E3060624

#17 jdotPT, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's going on with that tire sidewall? I hope it is not curb rash. :eek:

19. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Brand new tires actually... I just spoke to the salesman.

Also- I linked the wrong carfax report but I will fix.

One of the things he mentioned was that they had resurfaced the rear rotors. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but it seems rather odd for a prius of this year/mileage?

20. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I may not have mentioned this. But where I live there are no good deals on a prius I want. I may very well be purchasing a prius before seeing it. It being certified an lower mileage I believe I'm okay with that.

Is there any specific questions I should ask? Anything with the battery? This car averaged about 18k a year. I think that's a good thing as it did not sit. Sitting is bad for the battery I believe. It was also leased in the NY/PA area. Good temperature for the battery I believe. (as opposed like like AZ or somewhere)

More thoughts? Thanks!