1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me select a prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jdotPT, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brake rotor resurfacing may have been required for the Toyota Certified warranty. That makes the deal look good, IMHO, especially if you can plug in at home and/or at work.
    Prius brakes can collect some surface rust since the friction brakes are not used as much as a typical car.
    The regenerative braking saves some of the energy in the traction battery do it can be reused to propel the car. The friction brakes then stop the vehicle. Of course, in an emergency situation the friction brakes are used sooner.

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why would you purchase a Prius before seeing it? A dealer wouldn't price a used car at a price that you'd need to buy it, unseen. And my experience is that many small scratches and imperfections don't show up in photos. Twice in the past, I mentally decided that I was going to purchase a used car before seeing it. I arrived with cash in hand. But I still took a good look at the vehicles before handing over the money.

As far as the plug in Prius....make sure you read the threads here that discuss electricity costs vs gasoline costs. You may not be saving as much with the plug in portion as you might think. That said, I wish I had one.

3. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't disagree with anything you said. But the issue is that I'm looking at a 2 to 5 hour drive to find a desirable prius. I'm in WV. There are literally more trucks/SUVs on the road than passenger cars here. That doesn't change the good points you made. It would have to be a pretty big/significant scratch to keep me from buying a used car that I drove 5 hours for. I'm more concerned with any significant issues with the battery or mechanical issues. But I appreciate your points.

I agree with you regarding the cost of electricity. I haven't checked what we pay for power consumption here, but my guess is that gas will be cheaper. So I'm actually not purposely looking for a PIP over a regular prius. It's just that the PIPs online seem to be priced better than the regular prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're willing to travel, try tampa hybrids, well respected member here.

the above pip you posted looks like a great car.

the rotors may have been damaged due to road salt causing the caliper slide pins to stick. we've seen a bit of that because dealers don't pay attention to them, even though they are supposed to be inspected every 5k.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow. I just checked their inventory. They actually have some great prices. Even a white 2014 plug with even less miles. It's not "certified". And although I'm willing to travel, that's 13 hours away. So traveling wouldn't really be an option. Thanks for this information though.

6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have things in common. I, also, need to drive 5-6 hours to buy a used car. My city has a terrible selection of private party used cars. The good deals (I tend to buy from private party sellers) are in Los Angeles/Orange County/San Diego. It's more challenging to get a great deal through a dealer- you can get a great car, but the dealer knows it's a great car and will want his profit. With a dealer, make sure you get the carfax, which is something they usually provide for free.

The key is to be patient, if you have that luxury. After looking and looking, you'll eventually see a car that has the mileage, features, and price that you have been waiting for. Finding a good used Prius at the price/miles/condition that I wanted was a challenge. You might be luckier- if the masses in your area prefer SUV's then you could see better pricing on hybrids than out west.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can try auto yours in scottsburg, in. another fabulous prius guy.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do not want to travel that far, my preferred dealer is in the Washington DC area in Manassas VA. My preferred salesman still drives his Generation 1 Prius. I think he is off sick, though.

jdotPT likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you drive now? And what kind of driving do you do on a regular basis? Anything other than the daily 10 round trip commute?

10. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2015 turbo charged forester. It is, without a doubt, the best combination of fun and utility for a car I have ever owned. I know, it sounds like I would not be a candidate for a prius. But I had an experience/awakening about a year ago. I will no longer spend money on "fun" cars. (it's a long story)

I owned a Honda Insight for 2-3 years before this that I purchased for a great deal. I was satisfied with the Insight so I'm convinced I'll be happy with a prius (despite the fact that I got rid of it).

I average about 15,000 miles a year overall. My wife and I take my vehicle on trips.

My goal is to own and drive the most reliable, frugal, and utilitarian car. I believe that to be a used prius. I need it to last at least 6 years with no major repairs.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    long trips = bad seats, be careful.

12. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've heard they are average to bad. With a car this popular, they can't be worse than the Honda Insight. :)

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't say. a percentage of people hate them, not sure how many take them on long trips. it's an around town car for me.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is your only vehicle then a plug in Prius sounds perfect for you! (Or a Volt)

But if you already have a somewhat fuel efficient vehicle and do a lot of driving under 60 or 70 miles then you may want to consider a used Leaf. They are dirt cheap and work great for a second car if you have a different vehicle that can work for road trips.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it is like my base level Prius, some padding to sit on may be helpful for long trips.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done over 900 miles in one day more than once in a Gen 2 Prius with no particular discomfort. So not everyone hates the seat. Maybe I just got paddled so many times as a kid that I'm immune. :LOL:

jdotPT and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done about 850 miles in one day (probably a dozen or more times) in my PiP and didn't feel more sore than one should from sitting for more than 13 hours.

jerrymildred and jdotPT like this.
  18. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So... I'm really starting to annoy myself (okay, I'm actually beyond that), but now I'm considering this one (see link). This one is closer to me geographically and has fewer miles. The only thing I don't like is the car fax report. There's no record of oil change. I know I know, it depends on where the oil change was performed as it could not be reported. I guess it makes me paranoid but with only 25k miles and it being certified...

thoughts? :)

Cars for Sale: Certified 2014 Toyota Prius Advanced Plug-in Hybrid for sale in Columbus, OH 43230: Hatchback Details - 463282943 - Autotrader

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?make=TOYOTA&vin=-5%7C34%7C45%7C-72%7C108%7C-67%7C-83%7C-29%7C94%7C95%7C-96%7C94%7C-4%7C105%7C-121%7C-110%7C-125%7C-1%7C45%7C-127%7C-64%7C-70%7C109%7C124%7C&dealer_id=69308&car_id=463282943&partner=ATD_T

#38 jdotPT, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the first two oil changes were free, and there's no other important maintenance.

jerrymildred and jdotPT like this.
  20. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have similar tastes in cars. I had a Forester, which was one of the most fun cars that I've ever driven. But rebuilding the engine at 110k miles and averaging 22 mpg cut short the honeymoon. What generation Insight did you have? I searched long and hard for a good deal on a 2nd gen Insight, but struck out. But living in the desert, I had a problem with the Insight's inability to have the engine off and the AC, along with serious oil burning issues in certain model years.

I think if you find the right one, you'll be very happy with the Prius.