1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me select a prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jdotPT, Sep 15, 2017.

1. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You know, I'd have to look to be sure. I think it was a 2010?? I think it was the only 2010 on the lot at the time. I was a bit silly and convinced myself that I needed more space and something "safer" because we had a baby on the way. Now that she is 3.5 she requires less stuff for traveling anyways. My biggest complaint about the insight (and I heard this from many) was that it would get blown around *a lot*! I have nerves of steel when I drive but I gotta say, the insight put those to the test. I suppose the combination of a large side profile and very light weight caused it to feel like a kite.

I'll always be a bit of a subaru fan but after owning two new turbo subarus and suffering issues with both, I don't think I'll go back. I think if one goes w/ a subaru once is best w/ sticking to the base models.

2. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    New contender. (I know you guys re probably getting tired of this) But I appreciate any feedback. One link is to dealership and the other is the carfax. Director volunteered that the last owner (only like 6k miles or so of use) had the vehicle repossessed. I'm not so worried because 1) it's still certified and 2) last owner had it for such a small amount of time. There's an "electrical system check". He explained this was a headlight. Makes sense as carfax does say external lights checked.

Appreciate any advice or thoughts!

Used 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in in Vienna, VA | Serving Fairfax, Chantilly, Leesburg | VIN: JTDKN3DP2D3042368

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxmubq1oRRBcTUczbHV3UXdrX0lXa016TThjVUNOUGtnSFF3

3. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    deleted because it posted 2x

4. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're wise to get opinions from current Prius owners before making a purchase. Anyone getting tired of this will simply skip over the post.

On the surface, this looks good. However, you'd be the 3rd owner in 4 years and in the 3rd different state. And the 2nd owner got rid of the car in 4 months- I have to wonder why? The number of owners and different states bother me, but most buyers probably don't care. That's your decision to make.

Regardless, the hybrid battery still has 35k more miles under the warranty. And the car looks clean. I had to guess some details but the car is priced very competitively based on the kbb price listed here. The car is priced as if it is sold by a private party, but has a Toyota dealer to stand behind the deal. You have the best of both worlds here. Unless there's an unpleasant surprise, this one won't last long. I'd see it.

jerrymildred and jdotPT like this.
  5. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the perspective! (I'm going to stop apologizing!) So this just in. My astute friend pointed out to me the very end of the car fax. After seeing his concern I reached out via email to the Director. He confirmed that this vehicle was purchased on 7/31 and then *returned* to the dealership a few days later. This particular dealership has a 7 day return policy where you can return it for credit towards another vehicle. They do have a lot of prius cars. So it's possible that someone just decided to go with a different prius. But- I think this has shaken my confidence enough that I'm going to give up on it. Also, not sure I mentioned this on this thread, but the second owner had the vehicle repossessed. Under these specific circumstances (2nd owner had it for short period of time and it is Toyota certified) I was willing to overlook this until I learned that the vehicle was returned to the dealership within a few days.

So, I'd really be the 4th owner. Chances are the vehicle may be fine, but I think I'm going to walk.

bisco likes this.
  6. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    *deleted* duplicate post by me.

#46 jdotPT, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay- I've thought this over. I'm strongly considering this vehicle again. Someone tell me if you think it's idiotic given the above?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks worthy of a test drive!(y)

jerrymildred and jdotPT like this.
  9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since it's being offered by a Toyota dealer, I'd take a look because they're less likely to knowingly sell a lemon. They usually keep the best cars and get rid of the rest via auction. But they're also not known to sell nice cars under book value unless they're really motivated to get it off the lot.

However, dig and find out how long it's been sitting on the lot since the 2nd owner had it repossessed. According to the experts here, that could have an impact on the life of the battery.

10. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. I can *sort* of tell by looking at the carfax. Doesn't look bad. How long is sort of bad?

11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The experts here would know better if you posted the number of weeks. Double edged sword, possibly.

If it was sitting for months, it would motivate the dealer to price it to move. But then, that might not be good for the traction battery.

RCO likes this.
  12. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found out this morning by paying "autocheck" that this last prius had been in an accident. Apparently it didn't show up on carfax. It might still be fine, but I believe there are just too many warts.

What do you all think about the one below? My *only* potential concern is that it looks like it was turned in from a lease in May of this year. So it's likely sat for months. It looks like they have recently lowered the price by a good amount.

Thoughts?

Used 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in in Hanover PA | Stock #: 41727P

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=JTDKN3DP5E3060624

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good, i don't see why sitting around would hurt anything but the12v.

RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those all look like worthy contenders to me. You're extremely unlikely to find a "perfect" used car, at least not without paying a pretty steep premium for it. Personally, I favor the one offered by a Toyota dealer as a CPO.

RCO, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  15. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea- I need to get more realistic I think... All of the ones I'm looking at are CPO. :)

16. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are Toyotas that were involved in accidents able to be offered as CPO?

jdotPT likes this.
  17. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This one looks the best to me. I'm a fan of 1 owner cars. It's slightly below the book value, so I don't know why it was sitting for so long. Maybe the demand in Pa is less, compared to the west. If so, that's your gain.

RCO and jdotPT like this.
  18. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A good question. I have no clue whether Toyota has a policy against offering CPO to vehicles which have been in an accident. But if you believe the autocheck report and you believe the dealership that the vehicle is indeed CPO, then it seems it can happen. :)

Now my guess is that Toyota never knew and perhaps this dealership did not know. The carfax had I believe 30 records on the vehicle. Nothing at all about an accident. But autocheck showed one. No details were given. I'm inclined to believe that the accident was minor since it happened in 2014 and none of the subsequent records indicated any issue with the vehicle and that it apparently did not get reported to carfax. But, there's just enough warts on this one to make me walk away.

19. jdotPT

jdotPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. I have something work related scheduled this Sat. or I would try to go up. They're closed on Sunday...

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two