1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me with my new car purchase. Prius C vs Civic

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by MarkOlin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My mother gave me some great advice (and I'm 59) when I was looking to buy. However, in my case the choice was between a Prius c Two and a Prius c Four. She told me to get the car I really wanted and not worry about the $2,000 difference. I got the Four, and I am very, very happy that I did. If I had done otherwise, I would be wishing every time I drive that I had gotten the car I really wanted.

AshleyTPriusv and ftl like this.
  2. HeyItsSolomon

HeyItsSolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Yeah, I think 2k1toaster hit it on the head. Just to add on to the point about long term savings with the Prius over the Civic, don't forget that there's value in the two years of free maintenance that you get with a new Toyota. What really pushed my decision off the fence was that the dealership I went to happens to offer a lifetime warranty with every new Toyota.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get the Civic.

Hybrid saves you money on gas and the clean co2 out of the tailpipe is awesome but if you plan on holding on to the car awhile those Hondas will have lower mechanical costs that a hybrid.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How many years/miles would you say is the turnover point?

5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My last car expensive repairs started at 5 years old and by 7 years I decided to sell. Hard to say depends on if you care for tend car, do regular service, climate, driving style etc

6. MarkOlin

MarkOlin Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Well, I ended up buying the Civic. I got a Blue, 2 door, LX model. The price was so good it was hard to pass up. MRSP = $19555, sale price = $16,250. I tried to get a deal on the C but it didn't work out. If budget was not a factor I would have gone with the C.
    Thanks for all the advice, this website is great and the people are very helpful.
    Mark

sosarahsays, JMD, minkus and 2 others like this.
  7. Jack Van Fossen

Jack Van Fossen New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I knew what I wanted to drive, and went for the Prius C. You can get an underbody coating from the dealer if you're worried about salts/rust. I talked to a Toyota rep, and he said that the replacement cost of the hybrid battery will only come down over the years as the technology gets cheaper. What is a $3,000 battery today, may be $300 in 10 years. In which case, you might be ready for a new car!

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Have you been following the Civics lately? Their dependability rating has dropped the last few years.

rjdriver likes this.
  9. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I actually noticed a drop in quality starting with 2003 Accord. Despite overall assembly quality being about the same, there were some design issues that lead to premature failure of parts, and some not very well thought out placement or functioning of some features. Not the typical spot on Japanese engineering I am used to, and have been a big fan of since my first Honda motor bike in 1967.

ztanos likes this.
  10. KYM209

KYM209 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi Mark, 3 years later I am reading your post and have the same question. Wondering what car you choose and what were the pros and cons of your choice. Today is D day for me and I could really use the help.

Thanks

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mark was last seen here in December of 2013 so I doubt you will get an answer from him. ;) His MIA status should answer your question but see post #26 of this thread.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I own a 2012 C and a 2015 Civic, the C is actually more sporty to drive then the Civic. The C steering gives more feedback and its suspension is harder and controls better in the curves. The Civic is soft and comfortable . Civic Is more luxury feeling and solid feeling then the C. Both are very well built with no rattles, and no mechanical issues. So you can't go wrong with either car, but for long distant drives the Civic wins in comfort.

ftl likes this.
  13. joshua_7373

joshua_7373 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah...for me it was between a Civic and Prius c two brand new ....I went with a Prius ...I talked them from 19.5 ALL the way down to 17.5 at 2.9 APR which was amazing BC me and the wife have 650s for credit scores.....it was too good to pass up and my wife drives a ton in the city...I will always buy a Toyota here on out. The reliability is just too good.

LGMS631 ?