1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Mounting Prius C Backup Camera?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Muhahahahaz, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Muhahahahaz

Muhahahahaz Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite some time ago, I went through one of the extensive guides on here for adding a backup cam to my 2012 Prius C Four. It took me several days of figuring things out and getting past various difficulties, but I eventually managed to get everything working, except for one -- How to mount the camera?

I'm mainly a computer guy, so I was pretty focused on the electronics aspect, and was very happy to have a working camera that was wired through the innards of the rear hatch. But then the cam just... Dangled there. :-/

I never managed to finish the project, since the camera was the first thing I bought, and I had assumed that it would just snap in somewhere or something like that. It's pretty dumb tbh, but I'm so busy these days I haven't had a chance to figure it out. (I'd rather not get a different one if possible, since I have it connected to the ~6V from the head unit, which apparently doesn't work for all cameras.)

Anyway... Every cam seems to be shaped differently, so here's a pic of mine:

IMG_0387.JPG

As you can see, it has a cylindrical base with threads. Is there anything I can buy in order to mount this?

Thanks in advance!

#1 Muhahahahaz, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    There is space in the left corner underside of the of the boot door handle, that's were reverse cameras are usually mounted. Guess you need to drill a in hole in the plastic handle and screw the camera in place. If you did not unscrew & remove the plastic ring that is on the camera (from your pic) before you wired it you will have to disconnect the wire to take it out.

Check image (courtesy Carsut - Understand cars and drive better) [​IMG]

3. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That spot AQUA-K pointed out is the usual spot people mount their cameras, there's actually a plastic mould line where you can tell it's supposed to be. In that red C, a giant square was cut out, but you don't really need to make it that huge. A step drill should help you get the proper size circle you need.
    [​IMG]These are <$10 at Harbor Freight or similar.

It looks like you'll have to make it a U shape cutout, with the top of the "U" facing the lic plate, in the rear handle to slide the camera into place then tighten. Doing it with the U shape will offer an alternate method vs having to remove the wire, mount, reattach the wire as AQUA-K mentioned.

#3 djdawn, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  4. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Great idea djdawn (y) this will save lot of trouble...

5. Masterloc

Masterloc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It looks like you already have the plastic washer on that camera. you need to twist it to remove it from the camera and then twist it back on from the inside of your car. You will disconnect the camera in order to do this. Unless that plastic washer is shaped like a C instead of O. the camera should be sit flushed onto your car, so that threaded rod should be skinny, not huge. Hope you know what I mean. I mean, do you see those grooves on that round thing? it's for you to easily turn that thing with grip.