1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! My 2007 Prius is dead....(12 v battery....?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FrankD, Dec 26, 2016.

1. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! My 2007 Prius that has been running perfect is suddenly dead. I have not driven it since Saturday night and it was fine. I just went out into the garage to open the rear hatch and it would not open. I noticed that the dash lights are not coming on. I tried the headlights and they are not coming on. I am thinking the Optima Gel battery I installed in it about 5 years ago is suddenly dead?

So...my question is, I cannot get to the rear battery because the rear hatch cannot open. No, I cannot easily crawl back there to reach it inside due to ladders, etc.

Can I trickle charge it from under the front hood? I know there is a positive terminal in the fusebox. Can I attach a small trickle charge to that positive terminal and clamp the negative to some solid ground under the hood?

I am dead in the water until I can recharge this 12 volt battery. There was no warning about this at all. I know Florida is tough on batteries, but I thought this Optima battery would last....the car currently has 154 k miles on it. It has been a great car....Thank you in advance for any help!

Frank D.

2. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I looked at a bunch of threads here.....and I just correctly hooked up a small 1.5 amp trickle charger to a good ground and the positive terminal in the fusebox. I will leave it on overnight. It says it has a "Float mode" monitor. I also own a bigger 6amp/2 amp charger, but I doubt it has the float mode thing....and since I would only use it at the 2 amp setting most likely, there is not much difference. We will see what tomorrow brings. Maybe I left the lights on the other night....not sure. Hopefully I can start the car tomorrow and get the rear trunk opened to have the rear battery at least checked.

Dino33ca likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That will work.

And you probably did leave a light on a door ajar. Unfortunately since its been discharged so perfectly and completely (lightbulb) its probably damaged the battery meaning it has begun sulphating. I would not trust that battery again. Do all you can do to have a healthy 12 volt battery. Horrible things seem to happen when a Prius is jump started.

More posted thread on this site is a dead 12 volt battery. Those posters have one thing in common:

They do not set the car alarm every time they park it especially for the night and especially in the garage. That would alert you to a light on or a door ajar.

4. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Ed. Strange, have not done a thing like this in all the years I've owned it. But who knows? When I pressed the keyfob the car did make the normal beep noise, but nothing else. The dash lights do not come on. 5-6 years ago I did upgrade the 12 volt battery to one of those fancy gel Optima batteries. Can they get sulfurized or get ruined? Is 6 years asking too much of one of those batteries? Boy....lately the car has been working great...getting about 53 mph.
    I do not think I have a car alarm on it. It is a level 3 with the Bluetooth, etc. The key fobs have a panic button, but no alarm I do not think.

Thanks! Hopefully it will light up and start tomorrow....I THINK there is a way to check the 12 volt battery health on the multi function screen.....

Frank

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6 years is not too much, if you don't drain it. optima is supposed to be more tolerant of deep discharge, so get a volt meter and keep an eye on it.

6. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you....I can design and build a house easy and I delivered my own kids....but car problems make me cry like a baby.

edthefox5 and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we all have our strengths and weaknesses. my strength is kibitzing on prius chat. my weakness is kibitzing on prius chat. :p i let someone else build my house and deliver my kids.:eek:

edthefox5 and FrankD like this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can try re-charging it and see how it goes but if you notice your mileage start to tank that's a sign the Inverter is struggling to keep it charged as it has become sulphated. They do not make battery's like they used to.

I am a maintenance charger. I put my car on a 12 volt charger about once a month. I note how long it takes to charge. I bought my 07 brand new. After I got 6.5 years out of my OE battery, may have gone much longer but I noticed its charging behavior was changing rapidly and I do not want to be stuck anywhere, I bought a new Optima yellowtop same one you have I suspect. I can say the OEM battery showed much better metrics than the Optima has over the last 2 years. The OEM charged faster and stayed charged better than the Optima. The Optima is a very good battery but the OEM was really good based on what I have seen. Charging behavior will tell you everything you need to know about the quality of your battery. So I guess my point is an OEM battery may take a full depletion much better than a Yellowtop.

If it was me I would go buy a brand new Toyota battery and throw it in and be good for another 6 years no worries. If you must roll the dice you can check the battery's charge and capacity by turning on the lights at night before you start the start. Notice if the lights dim at all upon re-boot. If you see any dim at all beware.

Do anything you can do to avoid a Prius jump start. If I had a dead 12 volt battery I would not jump it. I would either charge it like you did in 2 amp mode If I could or flat bed it home. In a jump start scenario you are not current limited. An AAA tow truck shows up and delivers
    500 amps of jump power to a Prius 12 volt buss that essentially has a dead short across it. A very heavy duty surge. if your really lucky it will pop the 100 amp hard wired in fuse in the fuse box (nightmare) if unlucky it takes out the Inverter. $$$$$$.

Lots and lots of those story's here on this site.

9. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If product warranty is any indication of expected service life, I'd say six years on a lead acid car battery is pretty much it. If you need reliability, it's time for a new battery.

10. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it has been on the small charger for about 12 hours. I opened the car door and the dash still does not come on. I just switched to my larger charger and put it on 2 amp charge. The gauge shows the battery is in the green...that is a good sign. Not sure why the dash does not come on yet. I'll give the larger charger a few hours to see if that brings it up more and enough. I'm starting to get a tad worried. This car is in the garage pointed in.
    I do have the plastic trim off the hatchback still from last year when I changed the bad rubber switch....so I might be able to get to that release if I need to. We'll see.

11. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not mind at all about getting a new battery. I just thought after reading the write ups on the Optima that I'd never have to replace it. We'll see. Perhaps I'm not giving it enough time.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Do the headlights work now? If they do not work then you are wasting time continuing to try to charge the battery. You need to figure out what is wrong with the 12V battery.
    2. You need to do whatever is required to open the hatch so that you can inspect the battery cabling. You may simply have a loose connection. Check the tightness of both battery cables at the battery itself as well as the negative cable where it bolts to the body.
    3. When charging a dead battery, do not waste time with a tiny charger especially since you have the alternative of using a larger charger with a 6A setting. Use the latter. The Optima website suggests using a 10A charging rate is fine.
    4. You do not need to worry about the float mode. That is useful only if you are going to leave a charger on a fully-charged battery indefinitely.
    5. Since the Optima battery is five years old, and considering your FL location, it is certainly possible that the battery may be dead and cannot be restored.
    6. I agree that the GS Yuasa battery sold by Toyota dealers is as good or better than the Optima battery. Certainly the dealer battery warranty is now superior, with a seven year term. The True Start labeling is applied to those batteries which have that warranty coverage.

#12 Patrick Wong, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  13. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick. I noticed that the check engine light came on a bit, but is now very faint. The headlights did not come on. At this point, I did boost the charger to 6 amp.....we will see if it can charge enough to perhaps open the back latch. If not after a few hours I will work on getting my ladders out of the car. This will be tricky out of the side doors. This will allow me to crawl back there to find the cable. It may be helpful that the trim is still off. Once I get the hatch open I can check connections, remove the battery and buy a new one.

14. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you tried opening the hatch with the charger connected? The charger might support the voltage enough for that to happen.

Do you own a voltmeter?

15. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok..now that I have the charger on 6 amp...the charger seems to now turn on and off every few seconds. When the charger is off the dash lights and idiot lights are coming on. When the charger is on the dash lights turn off. The charger gauge needle goes from green to red...from one extreme to the other. The hatch still does not open when the charger is in both modes. I'm guessing that more activity is good. Perhaps the battery is charging enough to allow me soon to open the hatch. I called the dealer. They have a battery for $226.07 plus tax if I pick it up.

16. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your dealer is trying to rip you off. Don't get the stock Toyota 12v, and definitely don't pay $226 for it.

Get one of these Optima YellowTops - https://goo.gl/ZVf9Ax

They're a drop-in upgrade from the stock battery that's supposed to be much more able to survive deep discharges and cold weather. The 12v in my 2007 died about 7-8 months after I bought the car used, I replaced with one of these myself and have had no issues since.

Also, it's a bit awkward to do, but there's an emergency release latch available for opening the rear when the car has no power. Here's a guide with photos - How to Open Your Toyota Prius Trunk (a.k.a Boot) When Your Battery is Dead | AxleAddict

Honestly though the behavior you're describing is kinda odd. Normally even with a dead 12v, you should be able to still jumpstart the car and then leave it on for a few hours to let the inverter recharge the 12v. You've got a charger running at 6amp and you're still not able to jump the car?

If I remember right that setting may actually be too high and may cause damage to your battery.

Here's a YouTube video that shows the Gen 2 Prius' jumpstart terminal inside the fuse box under the hood... You don't actually need to physically access the battery in the back of the car to jump start. Is this where you're hooking up your charger?

#16 Kate Harvest, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  17. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. That is where the charger is hooked up. I bought a yellow top Optima about 5-6 years ago and that is what is in there currently. I am going to have to get back there manually to get the hatch open...Thanks!

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do any door locks work?

19. FrankD

FrankD Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No...door locks do not work. Did just manage to get all my ladders and tools out of the car and I manually got the hatch open. Got to the yellow top battery.....all connections look tight and good. So....now my question is.....do I try to jump it from another car using the 12 volt yellow battery...or do I just take it out, take it somewhere to get it checked, and replace it?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you jump it, do not start the other car, and be very careful about polarity. an expensive mistake for sure, but not easily made.
    if you are gonna try and salvage it, you need a digital volt meter to take measurements. and a proper charger.
    if not, just take it out, walk it to the dealer and bring back a good one. make sure it's charged before installing. should be close to 13v.