1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! My 2014 Prius v only 30 to 37 mpg

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by Mpointer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Mpointer

Mpointer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We purchased our 2014 Prius v on November 23, 2014. We are traveling salespeople. We have put 5685 miles on the vehicle to date.

We live in The Kansas City metro area. The weather has been cold, but not brutal. We have driven the Prius twice to Jonesboro, Arkansas. The first time our mpgs ranged from 36 to 38 (note: 38 is the most mpgs we have gotten). This trip less than 33 mpg. In fact, the current trip of 174.2 miles is reading the lowest ever on the car's gauge at 31.8. We are seeing a real calculated mpg of about 1.5 to 2.5 mpg less than this reading.

Most of this is highway driving using cruise at posted highway speeds. In Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas, that is 70 to 75 mpg. I am not comfortable running 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit.

Please advise. We will be taking the Prius in for its first service as soon as we return to Kansas City on Friday. Obviously with the amount of miles we drive the mpg is a big issue for us. We have been driving a 2006 Toyota Sienna and honestly are not seeing huge differences in our gas costs between the two vehicles.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    slow down!:D the epa highway is probably for 55 mph. could be the winter gas reformulation.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Inflate the tires to ~40 PSI, use ECO mode. With frequent freeway mileage, you might consider a better LLR tire like the Michelin models (depends on your need for a winter tire).

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I second what's posted above. 55 mph and use cc.... (at least try 60 mph for a tank and see.)

I now run 44f/42r, a little rough but I noticed an immediate jump from 40/38, so if your running 36 all around your only hurting your mpg.

Is your grill blocked? That is my next project, just bought the material.

Mid 30's mpg sounds about right for a v, in the cold weather, no grill blocked, winter blend gas, low tire pressure, and running at speeds of 15-20 mph above what EPA tests the cars mpg at. ...

rachel1946 likes this.
  5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tire pressure.
    The colder it gets the lower the tires get and a little above the specified pressure will go a long way.

Stevevee likes this.
  6. Mpointer

Mpointer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not comfortable driving at highway speeds of 10 to 20 mph under the speed limit when a lot of people are running 10 to 20 over. that feels very unsafe to me :(. Sad that my hybrid is averaging less than 10mpg more than my 9 year old minivan. I'm getting between 21 and 23 mpg in my Sienna, even loaded down with three kids and a lot of camping and travel gear!

I will check air pressure and look into the grill materials.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are still getting about a 50% mpg improvement, that is quite substantial. Winter is the low mpg season due winter gas blends, cold weather, wet roads, and winds. MPG will be better when spring arrives.
    Check the tire pressure, but hold off the grill block until other matters are addressed. A grill block should be accompanied by an engine monitor (ScanGauge-II, Torque app, or similar product) to display the coolant temperature, to help avoid overheating in warmer weather.

Please review this questionnaire, posting answers here to as many pieces as practical.
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and the minivan won't improve much. although, on the highway, might be similar.

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My v travels 10 miles one way to the local town every day in moderately hilly country, 50 miles to the grandkids at 65/70 MPH often on CC once a week, and 200 miles to the beach or to a tourist spot twice a year. I use no special techniques. I have averaged 41.8 MPG over 2 years and 20+K miles. The reports on fuelly from 298 cars range from 34 to 53 with most at 42. EPA is 42 overall but 40 country. Average is slightly less than 42. My worst was 34, best 63. I believe both were fuel nozzle aberrations.

But it is winter and the start up of the ICE is immediate to warm you up and defrost the car. You are running faster than I am as at 70 posted I'll set CC to 67 if there is no traffic that I'd impede. Your tire pressures do need to be checked. I redid my tire pressures after the cold set in down here in mid NC and I feel that helped offset the loss from the cold and gas reformulation. I do use ECO mode. I drive moderately. Most of my driving is with only 1 or 2 people in the car. Vacation it is 3 or 4 plus a weeks worth of luggage and beach stuff. I think I did 38 on that trip but a lot was rural 55 MPH.

Don't worry about one tank or believe what the dash readout reports. Keep track over a year using a site like fuelly.com and the variations of gas nozzle shut offs will be averaged out and you'll see your true mileage.

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A lot of owners here seem to be fascinated with grill blocking but the few that have been bold enough to actually claim an improvement in mileage report maybe 1 or 2 MPG. Other things are MUCH bigger factors.

You don't need to drive 10 or 20 below the prevailing traffic but if gas mileage is REALLY important to you, doing 5 under is reasonable and might get you close to 5 MPG in some circumstances.......might.

Bottom like is: You really NEED to make a trip of 100 miles or so where you take the back roads so you can travel a constant 55 to 6o without a lot of stops to see what your max. mileage really can be.

11. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    And don't drive it like the minivan. Read up on how to get max MPG from a Prius. The driver is the single biggest factor in attaining good MPG.

12. Mpointer

Mpointer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, everyone! After almost 6000 miles, I am more concerned than I was at first. Especially since our second trip from Kansas City to Jonesboro, we barely got 300 miles on a tank of gas.

Here are my answers to the questions posed above, anything further you can offer after reading this is appreciated:

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations) We have gotten between 31 and just over 38 MPG. The most the on dash calculator has shown is 39.4 and when we filled up the actual calculation was 38.2. The lowest we have seen is in the 31 to 33 range on the on dash calculator, we have not filled up since then. So basically, after 5600+ miles , averaging at the low end around 30 mpg to high end 38. Calculating at the pump based on miles driven.

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why?
    I was expecting close to 40mpg. Based on EPA averages, fuelly real world averages, and other online reviews I checked out prior to buying.

- What are the approximate outside air temps?
    20 to 70 over last 6 weeks. Averages around 40 degrees.

- How long are your trips?
    Typically over 50 miles.

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here).
    The battery, along with the car are brand new. We purchased on 11/23/2014 and there were 5 miles on the ODO when we purchased. No idea on the voltage reading after sitting overnight, but will try to check that tomorrow.

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear?
    No. Brand new car.

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving?
    70% highway and almost all of that with cruise set. If we are in city driving there is a significant amount of stop and go as we are salespeople who call on multiple businesses in the towns we visit. Our in city gas mileage seems to be ok.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.).
    I live in Kansas. Gentle hills are the most grade we deal with on a regular basis.

- What are your tire pressures?
    We have not checked the tire pressures at this point.

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)
    Again, not something I have checked. The car has not had it's first oil change yet.

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)
    2006 Toyota Sienna 3.0 L V6. 21 to 23 mpg on the highway. Typically with three kids and a lot more baggage than when my husband and I travel alone in the Prius.

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location)
    Overland Park, Kansas (a suburb of Kansas City)

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking?
    We are trying to drive fairly normally, but we are coasting more than we used to and are trying to allow plenty of time to stop and gently brake. On the highway, we are using the cruise control 90+% of the time.

- What modes are you using, if any? "normal", EV, power, eco?
    We have not been using the mode buttons on a regular basis.

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on?
    Not really, depends on the day. If it is extremely cold, yes, but otherwise, no.

- Are you driving using D or B mode?
    Using D

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to?
    It is winter in Kansas, of course we are using the heater. We are not using auto mode as it seems to kick the compressor on more than need be. We are also trying to limit the use of the defroster as much as possible.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).
    Yes, using the factory tires. Again, we just purchased the vehicle.

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute?
    We have seen a mileage drop since two weeks ago. Nothing has changed that we know of. We did park the car for a week while we took our Sienna and our kids to Colorado. Seems to really be getting worse since then.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still think highway speed. i know you can't slowdown, but it is what it is. i hate to say it, but a diesel would probably work better for you.

14. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Oh for summer and high tire pressures, then you will see improvement!

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and following a truck in the right lane...

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are my first comments:
    Please list your actual highway speed. MPG is very sensitive to speed, as illustrated in this chart of measurements for a Liftback. Note that your 'v' is rated 17% less.
    Updated MPG vs MPH chart

Also, what were the road conditions on these recent trips? Was the pavement dry or damp or soaking wet (or snowy or icy)? Was the weather calm or breezy or strongly windy?
    It is essential to know your tire pressure, so measure it pronto. If it sat on the lot for a while without being rechecked at delivery time, they could be low now. If the weather is significantly colder now than when the tires were last set, then they are low now. And this will hurt MPG.
    Please don't tell me that you have driven 6000 miles on a new-to-you vehicle without checking oil level. This is asking for trouble, and will void any warranty for engine damage from too-low oil level. Go check it now.

Always check oil when new, and shortly after every oil change, to make sure it is right. And check again at reasonable intervals in between to be reasonably confident that it is not getting low.
    What actual temperature setting do you normally use? 80F will cost more than 65F.

And remember that it is winter now, MPG always drops in winter due to several factors. Here is a chart illustrating the summer-winter difference on my first liftback: http://priuschat.com/photos/5851/standalone

#16 fuzzy1, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  17. Mpointer

Mpointer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry Fuzzy, some of these answers I gave in previous comments and some I just don't know at this time. Here is a little more info for you.

Please list your actual highway speed. MPG is very sensitive to speed, as illustrated in this chart of measurements for a Liftback. Note that your 'v' is rated 17% less.

I am driving at posted speed limits. In Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas those range from 70mph to 75mph. As I have stated I do not feel comfortable driving 10 to 20 mph lower than posted speed limits when many people are going at least 10 higher than the posted limits.

Also, what were the road conditions on these recent trips? Was the pavement dry or damp or soaking wet (or snowy or icy)? Is the weather calm or breezy or strong winds?

Most of our trips have been cold outside. With 6000 miles driven we have driven in wet and windy conditions but no snow or ice as of yet.

We will check the tire pressure tomorrow. We had no idea tire pressure could mean that much to our MPG.

As for oil, this is my 6th or 7th new vehicle and I have never checked the oil myself before the first oil change.

We are keeping the heat set at between 70 and 74 degrees. Never higher than that. Again, trying to use the defrost setting as little as possible and not using the auto setting either.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All of those will hurt, but wet and windy each hurt more than cold alone.

See this post for links to plenty of winter information: Why mileage gets worse in winter
    This is a due diligence issue. The great majority of new car owners won't get bit by ignoring it, but a very few will. When I was young, a neighbor got stung by low oil just a few days after getting his new car.

The manual declares that you should check the engine oil on a regular basis, and any consumption less than 1.1 quarts per 600 miles is not a warranty issue, i.e. not their responsibility. (This is a generic amount, similar to the 'allowed' consumption listed in every new car I've ever bought). You have driven 10X that amount. Check it.

19. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I think your mileage does sound low. I only drive in hotter climates but at 70mph your instantaneous should be at least mid 40's mpg. (INST 4 or 5 l/100km at 110km/h). Can your passenger take a screenshot of your INST on level road? The will help quantify the drag caused by wind and rolling resistance.

20. Mpointer

Mpointer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg This trip was all taken in the Mississippi River valley between Memphis and Jonesboro, Arkansas night before last. It was fairly windy but also some of the flattest road s I have travelled.

image.jpg image.jpg When I turned off the car at the end of the night. These were the readings.

Attached Files: