1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! My friend back in to my front bumper :/

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLe9end, Mar 18, 2018.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all, you want an expert opinion as to the condition of the front end of the car, they are certainly qualified!

They might, but what's it worth to you to get peace of mind and figure out your car is A-OK!

Yep, that's the idea. If they want to charge you for their expertise, they can certainly jot a few notes and observations down on paper saying the car is OK. If you go to to a body shop for the repair, they will give you a complete set of paperwork noting what they have found and repaired.
    The pic looks like a simple ding, but.... it is really close to the right front collision avoidance unit. That needs to be tested to see if it still functions properly. You can do this yourself. Go take a drive, make sure it functions properly.... if so, you are probably just facing a minor bumper repair!

Good luck, make sure you let us know how this turns out!!!

Mendel Leisk and PriusLe9end like this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #22 padroo, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh - only $1000. We don't know what country this is in - he's only got a number for location.

Here it could be substantially more - needs to be reported if:
    • "death or injury (requiring medical attention from a qualified ambulance officer, nurse or doctor),
    • a driver fails or has failed or is refusing to provide required details,
    • vehicle not driveable - A vehicle involved in the crash is towed or carried away by another vehicle".

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to take it to a body shop, get a price and then you'll know your answer.

That looks like at least a couple of thousand dollars worth. The sensors look like relatively simple proximity sensors - shouldn't be a problem, probably weren't damaged, and, as far as I know, they don't need adjusting like RADAR, Headlight or Wiper sensors.

What I would be concerned about is what is behind the bumper which might have been damaged - which is impossible to tell in many cases till it's dis-assembled. What looks on the surface as something your friend might be happy to pay €€$$££ for - could increase substantially when dis-assembled.

Also, the Hypersonic Red would be a more expensive paint job than a simple white or silver.

If your car gets recorded as having been in an accident - I'd retain a couple of good photos from before the repair so you can show a potential buyer that it was only a minor accident.

PriusLe9end likes this.
  5. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope just the bumper, finger crossed. Will repairing it at the body shop not dealer void or effect Toyota warranty?

6. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The diagnostic document stating that the car is fully functional without damages have to come from the dealer or can it be from the body shop that is going to fix my car?

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What country are you in?

People are getting minor damage repaired all the time, and as long as it's done properly, it won't affect warranty.

I've never heard of this diagnostic document, is it specific to your country? If a body shop fixes your car, it shouldn't affect the warranty on what is a minor damage - they're repairing much more serious panel damage than this all the time. Ring your local dealer who can confirm this.

Most dealers don't do panel repairs - but you could ask the dealership if they have a preferred panel shop.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a ZIP code number in USA Alan.

9. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently Queens in NYC, NY...

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMHO is is extremely rude in an international forum to ask people to puzzle out your location when you are asking for help.

PriusLe9end, Tande and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, this is always bugging me. Yesterday, someone posted from DK for example. Looked it up, survey says: Denmark.

If there was anyone at the helm we could talk to, how about posting some ground rules, or mandatory fields, if they'd fit in the avatar zone. Pick your country, and a sub-field for state/province region, and a third field, open to text enter for city or whatever.

HPrimeAdvanced and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. is CA a country, state, or some other confusion?? :eek:

I suspect any change that extreme would need to be done by Danny. :cry:

13. PriusLe9end

PriusLe9end New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had it checked out at the dealer. Their bodyship states it likes minor and does not look like there going to be any mechanical damages since no error lights are on. They only recommended to change front bumper. I still kina wanna have them do a full mechanical check out just in case for future warranty purposes. Here is a break down of the repair parts and labor. I was told that will take them 3 days to get the part and 3 days to repair the bumper and other parts. The dealship told me front sensors will have to be disconnected to do the replacement and it will require reprograming but bodyshop told me as long as it is the same senor that is reconnected no programing is required not sure who is right on this one. Do you guys think the price is reasonable? The pricing is from a body shop that Toyota Dealership partner with. Will getting a replacement from them create potential issue for future repairs under warranty compare to getting it repaired from the Toyota dealership collusion center? and Can I ask for the damaged front bumper back after the replacement?

repair order.jpg

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just be advised...this is an estimate...and likely to increase once tear down starts. I respect your intentions and choice of how to handle this situation, but know that this is nothing to an Insurance Company...and besides...you and the other party are already paying good money on premiums for coverage...why not use that coverage. In my opinion, you are over thinking this.

Best wishes.

RCO, HPrimeAdvanced, krmcg and 2 others like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It looks fine. No offense, but you keep asking same questions, and not reading answers, or not paying them any heed. This is a trivial repair, no big deal.

RCO, HPrimeAdvanced and PriusLe9end like this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming other people's guess that you're in USofA, I'm not sure. That's much cheaper than I'd have expected here in Australia.

The other chap's repair - or wasn't his car damaged - I'd have thought he'd want to get his fixed - and both cars would be done in his one insurance claim. But that's his choice.

I'm fairly sure that the sensors won't need programming. They won't have broken, they haven't included supply of sensors in the quote. My FOCUS rear repair, they just re-used them and popped them into the new bumper.

PriusLe9end likes this.
  17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here in California, you'd easily be looking at $1000 or more. He did it; if he's a good friend, he'll "man up" and pay for it, one way or the other. You should get an included "Lifetime Warranty" on the repairs, especially the paint. The dealer body shops I use always provide this, and they do excellent, undetectable repairs. Don't forget, you'll probably need a rental car while they're working on yours. Arrgh!!
    I hate accidents, so for that reason I never engage in them!! Har, har!
    Good luck!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

PriusLe9end and RCO like this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uninsured motorist coverage deals with medical losses. If you have "regular" comprehensive/collision insurance, your car would be covered if person at fault had no insurance. This is in California; you might live in a "No Fault" location.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

PriusLe9end likes this.
  19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the work done by the two local Toyota dealer affiliated collision centers and the work has a warranty. $1000 and a week sounds reasonable. Is a rental needed while the car is in the shop?

You can ask for the old parts. What are you going to do with a damaged bumper cover and grill?

PriusLe9end and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something like this maybe:
    upload_2018-3-20_15-46-32.png