1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help my prius died

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tankyuong, Apr 6, 2014.

1. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    My low fuel light came on and drove for 5 miles,parked the car for an hour , drove and something wasn't right,it was all electric mode and the engine was knocking, and the battery display went down to one bar. Went to get 3 gallons and engine would start but would shut off after a few seconds, codes were 3190. I dont know what else to do as I had it towed home

Had my car towed home last night.It all started when I was driving 5 miles after the last pip on gas gauge, turned engine off.An hour later got in my car, wow my car is so quiet, a sudden drop with the battery bars, wait my ice isn't on a block later all these lights came on, got gas poured 3 gallons in and engine fires up and then shuts down. Called tow truck to tow a block away, went thorough the internet for countless hours, couldn't sleep, then the next day I popped open the hood looked down and the hose to throttle body was loose,connected it and cleared all codes, engine sounded normal again.So, learned my lesson, when you change your air filter make sure all hoses are secure otherwise it will cost you.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Without more information, it really is a guess. Best guess would be "out of gas" P3190 means "Poor Engine Power".

How many miles on her? When was the last time any maintenance was done?

Whats the maintenance records like?

Like I said, not enough information being provided to give you a better answer rather than a guess.

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    104,000 miles all maintenance up to date

It should have 3 gallons left after the last pip and I added 3 more gallons. Engine just shuts off after starting.

3193 code also

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has the throttle bore ever been cleaned? Or the MAF? You can try adding some more fuel to it, but you may end up having to have Toyota take a look at it.

I think the car thinks it is still out of gas. You might try adding some more fuel, and then clear all the codes and then see if it will start up. If that doesn't help, a visit to Toyota would be the next thing to do.

Just as I suspected P3193 means "Fuel Run Out". Add more fuel, clear all codes, try again.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f49/complete-list-obdii-codes-28062/

5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I did , there are 3 bars now but engine keeps dying

Codes cleared

I'll try cleaning throttle body and mad sensor tomorrow otherwise stealer ship

How do you clean those btw?

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the codes are clear and the engine keeps dying, I would think you are going to have to check some things.

Fuel pressure for one at the fuel rail. Condition of throttle bore and MAF (clean or dirty). You might try disconnecting the 12 volt for a few minutes and then reconnect and try again. If it wont start and stay running after that, I would have it towed into Toyota and see what they say is wrong with it.

I suggest you do a search on how to clean the throttle bore and the MAF. There is information already posted here on Prius Chat concerning that. Google is your friend. It is not hard to do, but does need to be done correctly. If you don't feel confident in your abilities and or just don't know how, I would visit the dealer and pay them to fix it properly.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Other possibilities... clogged fuel filter, dead fuel pump.

SCH-I535

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hope that is not the case. Isn't all that inside the fuel tank, or did they change that on Gen III model? I know Gen II USA Models it was inside the tank with the bladder and non accessible. Had to install a whole new tank. UK Models had access to inside though on Gen II.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still inside fuel tank. Access panel under rear seat.

SCH-I535

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Indeed, another improvement in the design over the Gen II. Thanks for the info! What I like the most is no more bladder. Of course that means I will pay more at the pump, but could go further too if I need to. But not one to run on the bottom.

Back to Topic...