1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Need assistance identifying significance of these icons

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tom Egan, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Tom Egan

Tom Egan New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius. Especially the amber one on the right. Also have the red triangle with exclamation point on the dash. They come and go and lately they are mostly there. Vehicle often has the dashboard go dark and have to disconnect the battery to get it to come back. Occasionally will not shut off unless I disconnect the battery. Vehicle has brand new service and hybrid batteries. No check engine lights. Would be eternally grateful for assistance!

Attached Files:

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Texas Prius Battery Replacement

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to have the trouble codes read at a dealer. they have the details of the lights, which are just a general warning.
    you might have a bad combination meter.

4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Left to right:

12v battery charging problem
    Hybrid system problem
    Headlight auto-leveling problem

The first two together might indicate a problem with the inverter, not the batteries. Pull the codes with a reader that understands hybrids. When the hybrid system indicator shows, I'd be willing to take it to the dealer and paying a diagnostic fee just to get all of the codes accurately.

The headlight levelling sensor goes bad with dirt, age, and potentially underside impact. I think the sensor is on the left rear wheel. It might also be a problem with the servos at the headlights. Other than causing excess glare to oncoming traffic, that system is the least of your concern. If it's intermittent, it's probably the rear sensor.

5. Tom Egan

Tom Egan New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow this is all incredibly helpful! thanks to everyone who replied I hope I'll be able to return the favor at some point

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Gen 1 MFD had a strange user-interface design that used to confuse everybody: it has three icons for three different problem areas: one for the power steering (PS), one for the main battery (MAIN), and one for the hybrid control system (an exclamation point over a car). And they had the brilliant idea that for any problem, all three of those would be shown, with the one that mattered being shown in a highlight color.

Of course almost every Gen 1 owner who ever sees that happen comes on PriusChat and posts about having all three problems. It even became a common phrase: "I've got the dreaded PS MAIN (!) error!" And then you have to get them to breathe, and go look again, and come back and say which one was highlighted.

I don't have a Gen 2 so I'm not sure if that display works the same way, but that's something I would want to check before concluding you really have all three of those issues at once.

-Chap

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Gen II no, it doesn't, thank goodness. Each one of those icons can come on independently of each other.