1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Need Directions Installing my EV button on my 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SaeGai06, Apr 15, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You got it right. Thats how I hooked mine up and its working perfectly. :D The only problem I have is that I cant see it because of the steering wheel. <_< I have learned where its at so I really don't need to see it anyway.

2. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 18 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]273152[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, I tried to mount the switch in the leftmost cutout because the steering wheel blocks the view of the switch. The cutouts and the switches are keyed. I had to install it in the center cutout.

3. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Jun 19 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]273591[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure they are keyed? :huh: I'll have to look at that when I get my IPA button.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 1 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]264407[/snapback]</div>
    Well done, Mr. Force! Mine just arrived today too... and wouldn't you know it - I took mine apart too! Certainly is an LED in there, which means that polarity for the light DOES matter for 2006.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 19 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]273683[/snapback]</div>
    Taking things apart is fun! :D The hard part is putting them back together and having them still work. :D Hope your install goes as well as mine. B)

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 19 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]273599[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Keyed for sure. But hell, a file or utility knive fixes that up in a hurry. Probably easiest to remove the black tabs from the switch, then to screw with the hole in the dash.

Now I'm wondering... what color LED should I substitute? The little car is translucent white, so any color would show through. Thinking...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 19 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]273691[/snapback]</div>
    I can't believe how easy the switch comes apart! My issue when I take stuff apart is that I usually have more pieces left when everything is back together. :)

We're heading out for a bit of kayaking early in the morning, so I'm just not in the mood to pull the dash off to finish this up - not while I'm busy packing in the heat. For now I've just popped the cool switch into the opening. That's most fo the fun anyway. :) I did color code all my wires and stick them into the harness as well - mostly so I don't lose them!

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 19 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]273699[/snapback]</div>
    OK Darelldd, The Force,
    Now I want one. How much is the EV button for the 2006? Also what is the IPA button for? Parking assist? What are you using it for?

8. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone caught any static from a dealer about having the EV button in there?

9. fiberhwy

fiberhwy Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jun 19 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]273691[/snapback]</div>
    Reading the post convinced me to get the EV SW and mine is about to show up... I'm still not sure where ECU is and how to get to it so that Pin 4 could be tapped to (Pin 4 - Switch positive. Connect to pin 27 on the ECU). Any help on installation guide/instructions is greatly appreciated.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?autocom=art...howarticle&id=5
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fiberhwy @ Jul 7 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]282693[/snapback]</div>

11. Zamboni68

Zamboni68 New Member

Just finished the installation of my EV button on my "06 tonight. Did a few other installs since I had the dash torn off (more on that in a seperate post).

Hardest part was getting the wired pin in the ECU unit functioning--must have a tight connection. My original pin was too loose, so I used a smaller unit and viola! it worked.

I used a voltimeter to check voltage and connections, and the proper button wiring sequence is as follows:
    EV Button
    Pin 1: Ground (used self-tap to connect to metal bracket behind dimmer)
    Pin 2: Illumination (connected to RED wire on dimmer)
    Pin 3: Dimmer (connect to GRAY wire on dimmer)
    Pin 4: EV + (connect to pin 27 on ECU)

Can't wait to try it out this week. I commute through town 6 miles, and I want to keep her in EV Mode, then accelerate out of town into hybrid mode. We'll see if it helps the MPG's...I'm at 1500miles now and average 51MPG (mixed city/highway driving).