1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - need solution! Moved, no longer near a power outlet :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ScooterPrius, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ScooterPrius

ScooterPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I own a 2010 PiP. Due to work circumstances, I recently moved apartments and my parking spot is now about 250 feet from the nearest power outlet.

I am looking for any possible way to amend this problem. A heavy-duty power cord is probably too dangerous - they seem to max out at 100-feet and I'm pretty sure connecting 2-3 of them (even the expensive 12-gauge, heavy duty ones) would be a dangerous solution.

But what about this... some sort of portable charger? Sort of like those UPS backup systems for desktop computers but something more suited for my needs?

I could charge the backup system at my home during the day while I'm at work. At night, I could bring the battery outside and plug it into my PiP. Would this work? Is there any precedent for this?

Obviously this is a grossly inefficient way to charge the Prius, and I would lose power in the transfer, but it still would get the job done. I'm only about 4 miles from work anyway, so a total backup wouldn't be necessary for a round-trip.

Any ideas? I'm so bummed, especially since I'll be at this apartment for at least 3 more years, and I love my PiP, but now it's just a really expensive Prius, sitting so close (but yet so far) from my window...

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Tough situation. Scratch the extension cord idea. Would have been best to find a new apartment closer to a existing outlet. Any chance you could pay out of pocket to have a new electrical outlet installed within range of your apartment or parking space?

3. ScooterPrius

ScooterPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately not. I didn't pick the spot and it's a residential complex, with parking around the various buildings. I can't have an outlet installed outside on the grounds :(

4. prius_in_pa

prius_in_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could forget about the portable charger. If portable power were cheap and powerful, then electric cars would be selling like hotcakes.

I was reading up on information about the charger for the PPI. To power it, they wanted the PPI owners to have an dedicated 120v outlet with 15 amp rating. Assuming that the charger only draws 10 amps, the power consumption is 1200 watts. I don't believe you'll have any portable chargers that could give you 1200 watts for extended amount of time. A typical lead acid car battery may give you 1200 watts for 5 to 10 minutes, maybe even 15 minutes but that's not enough charge to get you anywhere far.

5. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is a tough one-- find a girlfriend with a house and move in!! If she has a nice boat, even better............:LOL:

6. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is way I went with the Standard Prius charging stations are a issue on the grid in the Midwest, living in a condo complex is another problem

7. prius_in_pa

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Many of my relatives living in New York City have the same problem. Some of them even own houses but no garage. If they can't find a parking space right in front of their house, they won't be able to charge the car. At this point, electric cars are just a pain in the a** and at the same time, they aren't cheap either.

Hi Burrito! likes this.
  8. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have felt I wanted a backup system aka a gas motor to recharge just in case, the USA we still are not sure which way we are headed to be green, Natural Gas might be the winner, Flex fuel didn't work I just couldn't see buying a plug-in and parking a McDonalds for hours to put some juice in so we can get home...................

9. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Frankly, I'm surprised that no-one's yet come up with the blindingly obvious solution!

Obtusely yours, etc :D

[​IMG]

10. prius_in_pa

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That option has crossed my mind. But I was looking for an efficient solution. If he had to burn fossil fuel to charge the PPI, he mind as well just let the PPI run in HV mode for now.

MPGnutcase likes this.
  11. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
  12. prius_in_pa

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Natural gas should win if someone would invest in the infrastructure of delivering the fuel. Electricity already has the infrastructure but unfortunately the batteries are expensive and heavy. I read that flex fuel is working for Brazil. No sure why it isn't popular here. USA is a huge country and maybe that is the problem. It's hard to get everyone to agree on one thing.

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If charging at home is not working, can you charge at work?

14. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brazil is using Sugar Cane and doing flex very well, we have to many lobbys with to many agendas we need to worry about fixing this great country and stop lining our pockets

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask your neighbor if it is ok to swap the parking spots. If my spot is near the outlet and don't have a plugin car, I don't mind parking 250 ft away.

16. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sportsman guide $400
    Just get this baby into place and let the electricity begin! Because that's what it delivers whenever the wind blows, which is a lot. It's quiet, easy to install, and it just keeps on giving.
    Power up:
    • Big 46" carbon fiber composite blade and magnetic generator create the power
    • Sturdy cast-aluminum body with corrosion-resistant powder-coated finish
    • High-performance sealed bearing shaft and stainless steel shaft
    • Includes smart energy regulator with overcharge, circuit breaker and high-wind protection, plus output power read-out
    • Battery bank minimum 100 amp / hour @ 12V, 50 amp / hour @ 24V
    • Energy production 38 kilowatt-hours / month with 12 mph wind average
    • Start-up wind speed is 7 mph, can withstand winds up to 110 mph
    • Mounts to your own 1.5" pipe
    • Stainless steel nuts and bolts included for mounting. Body is 26 1/2"l., weighs 12 lbs., 5 ozs.
    Get your energy off the grid, the green and green-saving way! Order this tech wonder ONLINE today!
    Naturepower Nemo 400W 12V Wind Generator

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that looks cool! unfortunately, the comments don't reflect well.:(

18. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not hard to imagine a property manager's response to this one. :)

19. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe look for other near by outlets that are not occupied when you're home and ready to charge.
    If you're lucky- you may find a spot where someone works the night shift- which would give you sufficient time to charge then leave the parking spot before they return from work...

20. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It works in Brazil because they make ethanol from sugarcane there, which is efficient. Here we make it from corn, which requires more energy to turn into ethanol than the resulting ethanol contains. You can thank the corn lobby and your congressmen for that. Also, the American taxpayer is subsidizing each gallon of E85 sold to the tune of more than $.70 per gallon, while Brazilian imported E85 has the crap taxed out of it in order to make it uncompetitive with the corn stuff.

prius_in_pa and CharlesH like this.