1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP.Need to replace prius 2006.Buy new 2016 v used 2013, 2015 with low miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by south460, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Buying a low mileage used car is a smart idea. I've had pretty good luck with used cars in the past, not always of course. But buying a used low mileage Toyota or Honda or Subaru should have good results. Sometimes low mileage used cars are so much like a new car I wonder if they were ever used. Some people take good care of cars.

Back in 2009 we bought a 2005 4Runner Limited, fully loaded, 4x4 with only 23,000 miles on it. It was like new. It is still mainly used to tow the boat to the lake and all these years later only has 63,000 miles on it.

I've always wanted an Avalon. I recently read where they don't have very good resale value. That means you can likely find them in very good condition for a low price. I would still be interested in an Avalon but the cargo space just doesn't come close to a Prius.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In 2010 Toyota used Roman numerals. Starting in 2011 they spelled out the number. The Prius v is the larger car. The AT Package is available on the liftback Prius V (2010) and Five (2011-2015) as well on the Prius v.

"radar cruise control" is a component of the AT package on all these cars.

3. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    south,

It is the wife's car, so I don't get to drive it as much I would like.
    I can't drive interstate, so I don't use the cruise control. Too short drives
    on an island. I have seen videos on dynamic cruise control in action, and it would
    be useful to you, if you use cruise control a lot.

We like the moonroof, HUD(heads up display), back up display, blind spot indicator on
    side mirrors, lane departure alert. I use Waze on my phone for navigation, as it tells me when there
    is police ahead using radar. (y) I am a good parker, so I can park faster than the
    using the auto park, for now.

Go for a test drive, and check out the features you are interested in.
    You will notice how smooth the ride is, and how well the 2016 handles the turns.
    With 2017 coming in, you may see discounts on 2016 inventories!

stt

4. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    helpful info.Thank you

5. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! Other than the moonroof which does not interest me, the other things you listed are what I'm interested in.I'm a good parker too so no interest in park assist and also use WAZE-my prius 2006 has navigation and it has always been horrible-telling me to turn right when interstate is left,etc.

6. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    95,000 miles. Has started not turning off as easily-sometimes have to go back in and punch button several times.Also twice this springwa s parked on hill and all dashboard lights came on and did not want to start-I was able to back to level place and get started.Has not done hill thing lately,but haven't been back to that spot either.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car is not turning off, there may be a problem with the combination meter. Is your odometer display working properly or is it blacked out? Toyota has a 9 year warranty on this item.....even if you're out of warranty, you may get a goodwill warranty coverage from Toyota corporate if you ask. This is a safety issue.

8. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    odometer is fine

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    We like our '16 v level 4.
    Average mileage is 40 per the dash....in town machine not much long distance freeway.

On some other posts in this forum you'll read now in late Aug maybe the time to buy a new '16.
    As for a v level 5 with radar, sunroof and all...that's your decision.
    We're content with level 4 options.

Buying a year '15 v with 30K mileage could be a great costs savings...consider a Toyota extended warranty and again might be a sound financial decision. Just due your due diligence.
    V not much, if any, change year 15 to 16.

If buying a standard Prius the year '16 is much improved over year '15 and I'd go with the new car: '16.

Hope that adds some to your decision tree.
    Happy hunting.

10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    DO earlier models have ATP and HUD? Are they really worth it?

I have the HUD, looked forwards to getting it, and found it to be a nothing feature. I never use it. Not sure what ATP is.

PLEASE HELP.DESPERATE FOR NONBIASED HELP OF THE GROUP

Well, if I was really unbiased, wouldn't I ask if you had considered a used Tesla?

11. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I believe ATP (Advanced Technology Package) arrived in 2010. It included DRCC and LKA and a couple of other items. For me, it was worth the cost for the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

12. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My thanks to all,this has really helped me with my decision.
    I ended up doing an about face and getting a 2016 because the price out the door was so close to the two used Pruii I had found with low miles.
    Found a 2016 Three with ATP though did not want moonroof.It had to be brought from another dealer so I tested a Three Touring on their lot. They offered it for same price and it had more extras(blizzard pearl,bumpers,etc,though I don't care about those things). I decided to take it so would not have moonroof.
    BUT DROVE IT TODAY AND GOT 27.9 MPG!!!!!!!!! My 2007 Prius got 45 mpg. I thought post 2010 the cars had a mileage jump.
    Surely 17" versus 15" wheels can't be the reason.ANY IDEAS????? After ten years of Prius bliss,this hurts. I had expected 55 + mpg.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    New car. New breakin. It took us about three tanks of gas in our new 2015 to get over 50mpg.

14. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did you top off the tank immediately after leaving the dealer and reset the trip odo? What is the tire pressure? It is probably much lower than what I run.

Top off tank, set the tp to whatever you want and see what the next tank averages.
    ---
    The dealer only has to put enough gas in the car to make the gauge show full and chances are the car was sitting on the lot or in a bay powered up as it was prepped.

Merkey likes this.
  15. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't top it off as it showed a full tank/I did reset trip odo.I'll check tire pressure.WHat should 17" tires have?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! how did you measure mpg's?

17. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I run mine at front=40; rear=38. I have just over 2k miles; current tank is at 61.5 MPG on the MFD.

You might also check to see if some idiot at the dealership overfilled the oil.

18. south460

south460 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ju
    Based on display reading

19. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I run max sidewall pressure--~51psi.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you really need to calculate mpg's at the pump. start with a full tank, and calculate on each fill up. the average can be very misleading.