1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help needed please - 2006 Prius troubles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tracy Springs, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Tracy Springs

Tracy Springs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and THANKS for looking! We have a 2006 Prius that had some hybrid battery issues last year. I'm a disabled vet and cannot afford Toyota so YouTube was my helper. I replaced two cells that were bad and the battery lasted me another 30k miles. Last week we had the same issue so I checked the battery and another two cells were bad. I ordered two from eBay and I put them in. Immediately the lights and fan went off. The only light I had on was a Maint. light. A friend who had a scanner scanned the car for me the same day to see if any codes came up. As he was doing this all lights came on again! It could be coincidence but maybe not who knows that's why I'm asking. Each battery cell test around 7.88 and the car has no hesitation. The 12 volt battery is new. The hybrid computer battery has been replaced as well. Could the inverter be going bad? I know these are bandaid fixes but again I live on a very limited budget. Here is what the computer said. HV Target Eng Spd 1775 RPM, Ingition Voltage 7942. The only code was 3191. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You need to get techstream software and associated OBDII reader. This is the same software used by the service techs at the dealership, many can be found on Amazon.

This will greatly simplify your trouble shooting. Good luck.

valde3 likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This only means that it has been 5000 mi since it was last reset, in other words, you are due for an oil change. The procedure to reset this light is in the owner's manual.
    If it is P3191, all that is telling you is the engine (ICE) did not start. Not really helpful. But it is usually accompanied by other code(s) to tell you the reason. It is possible, your friend's code reader is not capable of reading all of the Prius' computers, so there may be other codes of which you are not aware.

+1 for the advice to get Techstream and a compatible ODBII cable. Search "Mini VCI" and choose a local vendor that has good feedback reputation. It would help to have a tech savvy mate to help with install on a Wn XP/Win 7 spare laptop that you do not connect to the internet, if you are not tech savvy yourself.

Once you have Techstream up and running you can diagnose the battery in situ and get an idea if it really is the HV battery that is the problem.