1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP NEEDED PLEASE: Changed 3 way inverter valve and inverter coolant loop will not bleed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Anxiety, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Anxiety

Anxiety New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Swapped out my 3 way coolant inverter today and went to bleed the system of any air through that little valve by the inverter and I'm hardly getting any coolant out and no air bubbles whatsoever. We lost a considerable amount of fluid switching the hoses and refilled it after install so I would assume it would bleed a considerable amount of coolant and air. I havent gotten any codes indicating a bad inverter so I'm really at a loss why this would happen.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter and engine have separate coolant systems. If you installed a 3-way valve, it was for the engine, and not the inverter.

Check the radiator fluid level under the radiator cap, not at the overflow tank.

Is the inverter pump functioning, you can test by touching it with a finger or stick/pencil while the vehicle is in 'ready' mode.

What scanner are you using to retrieve the OBD2 codes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JC91006 and davecook89t like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may have to fill the coolant in the radiator a few times before it actually becomes full. The reason the bleeder valve didn't have coolant coming out is most likely due to the radiator/cooling loop is not full. It will need to "burp" a few times, so if you check the radiator level in the morning (before you start it), you should be able to top it off. Do this top off for 3 - 4 days until you see it doesn't need anymore fluid.

I would normally change the fluid out of the radiator when I do this valve replacement. I won't have to worry about losing fluid and I just put in fresh fluid when I'm done. It'll take between 1 and 2 gallons to properly fill it.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To lurkers go to Harbor Freight and buy some cheap plastic duck bill pliars and clamp off all the hoses before removing. Take alot of pictures before dissembling or label hoses because many posters seem to mix up the hose configuration when re-assembling. With hoses duckbilled no fluid loss no air ingress no coolant bleeding horror. The right way is to change the ice coolant too but its such a bitch to get the air of out a G2 with the thermos. For a rookie your better off just dumping the rad and filling it back up a few times over a few months that will not invoke air.

Same goes for inverter coolant pump replacement. Clamp off the hoses. That's how the dealer installs a new pump.

JC91006 likes this.