1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Needed - Speedometer Display Not Working After Stereo Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Buffs2k, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Buffs2k

Buffs2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    **Note - I posted this in the Audio/Electronics forum, but am not getting any responses...so I thought I would try here...**

Hello! I recently picked up a 2007 Prius and absolutely love the car. This past weekend, I installed an aftermarket head unit where the pocket below the radio was (kept stock unit plugged in to avoid climate control issues, plus like the stealth aspect), along with an amp and sub combo.

Everything with the stereo works great. However, after buttoning everything back up, i found my speedometer display no longer works (which also knocks out gear selector, gas gauge, odometer, etc.). The rest of the dash lights work and the car runs and drives great without any obvious issues. I took the dash back apart to be sure everything was plugged back in and that I did not inadvertently unplug something else, but did not find anything.

Any ideas as to what may have caused this and routes to troubleshoot/fix the issue? Any/all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal today for a while, hoping a "reboot" would fix the issue...to no avail.

Jerry

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have access to my Prius wiring diagram manual at this moment. You can obtain wiring diagrams for your model year at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

Once you have access to that, look for the combination meter (which is the speedometer, fuel gauge, etc. display) and note the fuses feeding 12V to that assembly. Then check those fuses by removing one at a time and measuring resistance with an ohmmeter. Do not rely upon visual inspection.

If that does not help, you might think about how you provided 12V to your new stereo and whether/how that might have disrupted existing circuits.

3. Buffs2k

Buffs2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick - I appreciate your help!