1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help. New/Used Prius. Troubleshooting...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yowoof, Mar 5, 2016.

1. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Howdy All. Just officially joined pchat, although I've been a occasional visitor for some time. Newby!

Situation: Last week Number One Son totalled our dearly beloved 2005 Prius L2 with 185,000 miles that we purchased new. :( SOB

Tried to find something equivalent on the used market here in Bay Area, Kalifornia, using the insurance money, and without going into more debt - a daunting task to say the least!

Ended up buying a 2006 Prius base with 144,000 miles from a local broker, AS IS. Without going into details, it wasn't the cleanest purchase operation I've ever done, what with various timing issues and limits, so I didn't do much of a through eval before biting... :( ARRGHH

So now the fun begins. Finding the gremlins and defects in what appears to be, and what might become, a nice well behaved new member of the Family! Having seen the depth and breadth of the collective experience on this here chat board in the past, I've now joined, and hope to benefit from the hard earned experience of fellow members!

Where to begin? Good question, eh? Body is clean with minor cosmetic issues. Runs OK. Engine compartment is very dusty, like nobody's been there in a while. Carfax shows oil changes only, mostly at quick lube outfits. Lights, wind shield wipers, accessories seem to work. New tires. Tracks steers OK. No error messages on console. Plugged in a cigar lighter voltmeter while the car was in Accessory Mode after sitting all night and the voltage is stable at 12v.

PROBLEM #1 : Selected areas of the MFD's touch screen are NOT responding to touch, while others are. Subtle problem, since most areas still work, but certain specific "button" locations are NOT - a condition which was not readily apparent on my initial check. Example: Can adjust AUDIO Tremble down, but not up. Other screens show similar location specific failure. Have read here on the PC that this sort of thing might be the beginnings of MFD failure!

More later. El Dogo is peering in the window and getting impatient waiting for his daily walk. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated, naturally. I hope to make this an extended thread, if appropriate. (Please advise if you think I'm in the wrong forum or making an inappropriate use!)

Regards
    Yowoof!

2. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok so you need a used $85 MFD from e bay or take it out of your totaled Prius (I hope you kept it for parts) you will need them

3. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the prompt reply. Good advice! Indeed there were some good 2005 series level 2 parts on the undamaged rear of the olde 2005...

Unfortunately the Michio (the car's name) was wrecked some distance from base camp, and the insurance company only allowed "personal" items to be removed from vehicle, but not a selective parting out - they gave me a high market $$$ for the mess and their position was they 'owned' it. Not being familiar with the ins and outs of 'salvage rights, and legalities of the situation (I don't go into this kinda situation very often, thank goodness) I allowed them to tow it away... And of course, I didn't know then, what my future course would be, or what kind of vehicle/year I would eventually purchase for a replacement, eh? Additionally my wife is not approving of the 'scavenger' side of my personality, and hates the "junk" (also known as Good Stuff!) that is already stashed around the property...

So is it possible to get a working, "reliable" (relative term I know) used MFD from eBay or the recycle yard? What is the collective experience on that point? I presume it should be the 'right stuff' relative to OEM part numbers and feature/functions, or no joy. I would prefer, given the choice, to spend a bit more $ and get something that really works! Or is there some "fix", short of doing microscopic flow soldering...

Would the OBD-2 codes provide useful information? Somewhere around the house I have a very basic ODB-2 scan tool to use. However, I think I read on the various threads on the PC forums that the OBD codes mostly apply to engine/charging system operation - and that the MFD has it's own diagnostic codes and procedure.

Next stop will most likely be trying the diagnostic screens of the MFD, about which I am currently reading up on. So far it seems to drive OK and we are gingerly testing it out. From what I've read here, most of the time you can still operate the vehicle with MFD faults...

Cheers!
    Woofyo

4. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    you are over thinking this, you have a 10 year old car that will never be perfect, just fix it as cheaply as possible, follow the advise here and videos on you tube .follow the instruction's on you tube to remove the MFD and order the same part number, if you are only having issues with adjusting the audio Id just leave it alone you can adjust everything from the steering wheel for audio and ac...when something breaks that you cant fix yourself kiss it goodbye as any labor charge will be more than the car is worth..old car = money pit

5. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes I tend to do that (over thinking) sometimes. I often work on my own vehicles and that's the plan with this one as well. But sometimes I will pay to have it done if I don't have the skills or want the warranty. The car I'm replacing was over ten years old as well...

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Under thinking, is also not necessarily the answer. As with a lot of things in life the right thing is somewhere in the middle.

As you sound like a practical person with useful skills, then DIY will save you money, which alters the equation.

Obtaining a second-hand (used) MDF is the way to go, and the process of swapping it in seems pretty straight forward. Look for help videos on u-tube.

all the best.

PS, meant to mention that autobeyours.com may be a helpful place to source a used/reconditioned MDF.

yowoof likes this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The MFD was upgraded for 2006 so if you salvaged the one from the 2005 you'd just have another part laying around looking for a home. Did you download the 2006 sales brochure? Do you really have a Package 1 without cruise control & retractable cover? At least you have a tiny bit of warranty left.

8. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the lead to a source for a good used MDF! I just visited the web site of above and it looks very promising indeed. The vehicle is doing pretty well so far. I mean to change oil and filters if I can get it away from my son for awhile...

I see you're a kiwi. Love NZ. I visited once. Great place. Didn't want to leave!

Regards.

dolj likes this.
  9. yowoof

yowoof Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was mistaken apparently. It seems to be a 'level 2' Prius.