1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help... newbie... hybrid battery issue

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Dionne, Oct 2, 2018.

1. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, if in excellent condition (which most aren't) as per kbb in the OP's area: 2003 Toyota Prius Sedan 4D Used Car Prices | Kelley Blue Book

I love old Toyotas but they seem to depreciate very slowly. In this case, the high end private seller price and dealer seller prices are similar. Based on my experience, you'd be lucky to find a used Prius with a brand new OEM traction battery at the high end of book value. With my previous search before buying my current Prius, most buyers wanted to pass along the cost of the new OEM battery to the new buyer, which raised the cost over book value. But that was just my personal experience.

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like that you have Al Bundy as your avatar. It takes the harsh edge off your posts in this thread.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With low mileage it shouldn't be worn out. If it looks good and doesn't need a lot of other mechanical things I would go ahead and put a dealer installed battery in it. That may be the fastest and cheapest thing to do for a reliable car.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Refurbished/rebuilt/reconditioned/used are never as reliable as a new OEM HV (High Voltage) battery. The cheaper price is very attractive. The warranty sounds good and gives you some reassurance. But, many people have gone this route and have regretted it. If you can't DIY, you will be paying labor charges to have the free warranty replacement installed.

A new OEM Gen1 HV Battery is $1850.70, from Cornicelli Toyota. This dealer will sell OTC (Over The Counter) to you, as a new member recently purchased a Gen2 HV Battery for his daughter. See Post #24; 07 Prius pulled p0a80 code "Replace Hybrid Battery" - What are my options? | Page 2 | PriusChat
    You should also call local Toyota dealers near you to see if they will beat/match the price and sell to you.

Gen2 modules will fit into a Gen1 HV batttery case, but this might be too labor intensive/time consuming to do, just to save $150. Gen2 HV Battery is $1699 at Cornicelli.

Your best bet is to contact Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries. He's a member here who is knowledgeable, competent, and reputable. A legitimate physical business is a plus; no craigslist scam artist. He services the greater DFW area; hopefully you are close to his area.
    He'll be able to give you perspective on used/reconditioned/rebuilt/remanufactured vs new OEM.

A new OEM HV Battery will realistically last 8-10 years, possibly more. The current car has crazy low miles given the 2003 model year. You have a lot of life left in the car, assuming no other expensive components break down. If you are able to DIY some expensive repairs, a new OEM HV battery makes sense. But, cars have a mind of their own on when stuff will break.

MelonPrius likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To state the obvious, a modern mass produced vehicle is a depreciating asset.

Using OP's 2003 Prius, lets just just say it is worthless ($0-$250). Lets pretend the car is in great physical condition inside/outside. Mechanically flawless. And all functions work. Lets pretend the HV Battery still functions too, and never threw any codes. BUT, the vehicle needs new tires, say $400 expenditure. Darn, this exceeds the value of the worthless car. What are we to do?

More importantly, what would Beachbummm do in this situation?
    Buy a new car?
    Buy a used car?
    Finance the vehicle purchase? (Renting money is a Cardinal sin!)
    If one can DIY a lot of maintenance, wouldn't it make sense to keep a worthless vehicle going? Obviously, everyone will have their own cut off point, or some future event will thrown in the towel for the owner.

Intelligent people know that Zillow is a data point, that gives people an idea of what the real estate "MIGHT" be worth.

The true determiner of Property Values are:
    1) Ca$h Buyer
    2) Home loan appraiser

Shut-up. I need them to spend MORE, not less. They are increasing the value of my tech portfolio.

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I put a transmission in my old Plymouth Acclaim years ago and it cost more than the car was worth.
    I knew what kind of shape the car was in and looking back at it I think I made a good decision.
    I ran the car several more years and sold it for $200.
    It does make a difference if you are a DIY type like me.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.