1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP: No FM/AM, Audio amplifier?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rocketman47, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Rocketman47

Rocketman47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I recently bought a Prius Hybrid 2015, One, I checked the radio and AM/FM all channels are just static. You can BARELY hear one channel, but that's it. The CD, Bluetooth and AUX all work fine except the radio. Not from the area as my other Toyota receives a strong signal, I took off the antenna from my Corolla and attached it to the Prius, still the same, and I realized it's not from the antenna since my Corolla had a strong signal even without the antenna attached.
    I read that it could be the Audio Amplifier. Could it be anything else? Also, where is the audio amp located in a 2015 so I can at least make sure it's there and there isn't any disconnects.
    What are some other things I can check at home without paying a mechanic?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check the antenna connection to radio

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If all the other audio is getting amplified except the radio, I'd have to see where you read it could be the audio amplifier, to believe it....

4. Rocketman47

Rocketman47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi ChapmanF,
    What could it be? Is there anything I can check at home that's not too deep and complicated?

5. Rocketman47

Rocketman47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Where is it connected? Is the only connection the back of the stereo?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the problem only affects the radio, I would tend to suspect the radio itself or the antennas or antenna connections.

The audio amplifier would tend to be ruled out, because the audio goes through that whether it is from the radio or any other source, and the other sources are working.

The radio antennas, by the way, are powered; there are little RF amplifiers located near them (above the headliner for the rear stalk antenna, under the interior quarter panel trim for the quarter window diversity antenna). Those can sometimes flake out.

A technical service bulletin, T_SB_0014-15, outlines some of the ways a dealer would approach diagnosing a bad-radio-reception issue.

A year or so ago, I put some fairly inexpensive LED retrofit headlight bulbs in my car. I love the light from them, but my radio reception has sucked ever since. I mean to try reducing their RF interference with some ferrites, shielding, etc., but have not gotten around to trying anything yet. I mention that just to illustrate some other possible causes for reception issues.