1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! No power 800 miles from home!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DnDsPrius, Nov 17, 2016.

1. DnDsPrius

DnDsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Lost power except door locks on I75. Towed to dealership. Replaced 12 volt. Now they say it needs hybrid battery $4,500; inverter $6,000 & possibility transaxle $20,000. It's a 2006 and the hybrid was replaced in 2014. Of course, they want to sell us a new car. How can we know what's really wrong?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously?
    You need a second opinion.

Make them write out a written repair estimate, and take the car to another repair facility for another estimate.
    If the new estimate matches the old one?
    (I have my doubts!!!)
    Then you'll have your answer.
    If not?
    I would become the original dealer's worst social media nightmare.

Yeah, You will have to come out of pocket for a rental and spend some time, but there's no way on GOD's green earth that I would reward a dealership that tried to pull this off on a customer. I'd drive a VeeDubbaya before I did that.
    As a matter of fact, I would go all Elizabeth Warren on them for trying.

Good Luck!

Thread # 4,234 for why I'm a toyota driver and not a toyota owner.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ask for the codes, then post here. And google for yourself too. All of those numbers seem pretty larcenous, adversarial, aimed at pushing you over to the new car department (as you allude).

Just taking the hybrid battery price of $4500, here's a thread: dealership is offering new battery for $2700. The kicker though is they're asking $1000 for install (further down the page). They also offer a Toyota sanctioned refurb (claimed to have all new cells) for $1850. Assuming the prices are in line, you went with the refurb, and a more up-and-up dealership would do the install for an (honest) $300: you'd be looking at $2150 plus tax for hybrid battery replacement.

Same story for the inverter: replacement should be roughly half that $6000 number?

And $20,000 to replace transaxle? Maybe report this dealership to Toyota? Can you get something on paper from them? I suspect it's just a very oily Service Writer, and they will not want to give you anything on paper though.

On the flipside, once you have the codes, and can get some more realistic numbers on what the $'s are going to be, it may still make more sense to trade-in for something newer, or new. But if possible, shop elsewhere lol.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That IS highway robbery . . . get it in writing.

Do you have warning lights on the dash after the 12v replacement? If not, drive it away and get an independent evaluation. If you do have warning lights, it maybe safer to have it towed, but what that dealer is saying does not sound trustworthy.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? they're making some great deals on the new prius.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with the others. That estimate sounds insane! Did you get the codes yet?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did your cell phone die as well?

Bluegrassman likes this.
  8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where is the car located now?
    Perhaps can help you find an alternative shop.
    It is unlikely all those things would have gone wrong.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  9. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Guy makes an account, makes one single post claiming outrageous repair costs for a Prius, then disappears without a trace.
    I hate to say it, but something seems a little fishy....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DnDsPrius likes this.
  10. DnDsPrius

DnDsPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry took so long to get back on... I've never posted on a site before and I'm learning. It's all been a whirlwind and nightmare. The dealership offered $200 for trade-in on used car & of course told them "no" way the new tires only have 1,000 miles on them! So my son is coming from 6 hrs away with a trailer. He is fit to be tied and also wants the codes. Meanwhile, the Toyota (large area) tech took the local tech through the "steps" and it turns out to be the hybrid water pump (on the inverter?) and is a $600 repair. So we waited until Friday when my son arrived and he got to look at codes & notes and decided to go ahead & repair. When all finished and test drove it still had a page of codes so it cost $850 and drove up the time trailer. I will update when I get the rest of answers. Oh, and they said the total shut-down was a safety for the car...makes sense, I guess.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the update. It's amazing that so many people can come to the conclusion that expensive parts need to be replaced without have the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). One always needs to ask: "Which codes were thrown for you to make that recommendation?"

Better to have a hot inverter shut down than to operate until it fries itself. Cheaper to replace a pump than an inverter. Look for the turbulence in the coolant tank to confirm that the pump is working.

jerrymildred and Bluegrassman like this.
  12. Breef

Breef New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that you are in MI, I believe there are some companies that would be able to replace the battery with a used battery with repaired cells as a significantly lower cost. May want to google to find some that are in the direct vicinity. Otherwise I've read the Dorman battery isn't a terrible option.