1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! no road hazard on new car

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by acemate, Sep 29, 2017.

1. acemate

acemate New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, folks long time lurker, and very thankful for this forum.
    I finally purchased my dream car 2017 Toyota Prius (two) on June 30th, couldn't be more happy with my purchase, 2 days ago my TPMS light kept coming on so went and refilled the air and it went away and of course it came back on, and finally next morning i realized my driver rear was low on pressure, so took it to dealer who says i have a nail and also close to the edge so i will need a new tire and it is not covered under warranty (although if i buy a new tire from the same dealer, the same repair is covered for next 2 years). Makes no sense but thoroughly disappointed.
    I am not blaming the dealer here, but just about anywhere i buy a tire in this city, they warranty it for 3 years or 36,000 miles but not toyota dealer for a new car, unless Toyota does have the warranty but doesn't pass it on to the customer.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you checked with the tire manufacturer?

i put new michelins on my car and got a nail, but no warranty on nails.

RCO likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's the norm for new car tires: defect warranty on tires, through the tire manufacturer, and no road hazard.

How close to the tread edge, about an inch? I would consider DIY plug repair.

RCO likes this.
  4. acemate

acemate New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I didn't get to see where exactly the damage was, but Dealer is claiming it is liability at this point in time and they don't recommend plugging .. pretty close to side wall is what i am imagining but without seeing since i am not allowed into the shop.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have them return it to you, marked? Any tire place can deal with it, there's really no upside to dealership repair.

I rolled one of our OEM wheels with a finishing nail in the tread, to a dealership. They told me no dice, too close to edge. They're probably right, for the outside/inside style of plug. But anyway:

I took it back, got a plug repair kit and did DIY. That was maybe 5 years back, still on the car.

kithmo, Merkey, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  6. acemate

acemate New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only cause of concern here is they are saying it is a liability risk, I might go by a tire repair place and see what they have to say .. over all i am a little disappointed because Toyota dealer says the tire i buy from him will have the 3 year warranty just not what is on the new vehicle.

RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Of course that one will lead a charmed life, lol.

Yeah consider plug repair, if it's say a thumb's width from edge of tread. You can get cheap plug repair kits for $10, Slime for example. I went with Black Jack, much more solid, nice case, two diameters of plugs, lubes, spare needle. There are several quality makes, another was mentioned recently here, name escapes me.

Since repairing that first tire I've done maybe 3 or 4 more, 1 on our snows, and others on relation's cars. Always worked out.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Different sellers=different warranties. The tire warranty (pamphlet) should be included with your owners manual and other literature in the glove box.

Yes, take it to an independent shop for a better opinion. Not letting you see the tire is BS.

RCO likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What tires do you have? I have Bridgestone Ecopia 422. Toyota uses the manufacturer's warranty they provided with the car.
    For the Bridgestone tires, you need to go to an authorized Firestone/Bridgestone dealer, not a Toyota dealer, for tire warranty work.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is no road hazard warranty though.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2017
    pilotgrrl, kithmo and RCO like this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That situation is typical for almost ALL new cars.
    They do not warranty a few other things too......like windshield wiper blades, just for instance.
    They will not cover broken glass either.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The warranty specifically excludes road hazard, yes.

13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a bit like accident damage - tyre damage isn't covered by warranty unless the tyre was faulty. Nor are bent panels.

Some tyre retailers give a limited warranty, but that's usually more a "good-will" gesture, aiming at keeping you as a customer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tyre rack gave me $25. for a nail and plug. if it couldn't be plugged, still $25.

RCO likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Safety Seal is the other good quality plug repair kit I was thinking of, that was mentioned here.

RCO likes this.
  16. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear. I can say if its too close there is a SMALL potential that the sidewall will get a bubble which could, if left unchecked lead to a blowout. I however had my uncle patch tires for me several times in previous cars and never had an issue with them and yes, many could or wouldn't be fixed at the auto repair shop.

EDIT: BY the way, it is generally recommended not to use slime as this could mess up the TPMS sensors in most modern cars, but slime works wonders on old tractor tires or bicycle tires

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the reason the tire shops have this one thumbs width minimum distance from tread edge, is the nature of the plugs they use: they remove the tire from the rim, and put in a plug from the inside, that has a disc shape on the inside, with significant radius. Too close to the edge, it won't seat properly.

But a regular, from the outside only plug repair, you can get closer I think. I've had no problem, with a plug repair that's less than an inch from the tread edge.

Get your wheel/tire back, see where the puncture is, go from there.

#17 Mendel Leisk, Sep 29, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thinking a L-O-N-G way back, when tubeless tyres first arrived, when they sprung a leak, we'd go buy an inner-tube de-mount the tyre at home, install the inner tube and it would work fine. The tyre depot would frown on it, but was happy to still sell you a tube.

Come Radial Tyres in the '70s, this was deemed to be a NO-NO. Supposedly too much flex in the tyre. At least that's what they said. Plus, they were harder to get on a rim (or was I getting weaker?).

RCO likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plug repair, the simple exterior type, seems a lot easier than wrestling a tire off a rim to get to an inner tube. Or were tires with inner tubes easier to pull off?

20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes a bit easier but because of a thinner bead and not because of the tube.

The best "fix" is to do both; plug and tube. But almost no tire shop will do that. Main reasons: You have to be more careful when installing on the rim so as not to pinch the tube......AND there is little to no profit in doing that.