1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help on finding car problems !!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Victor Lim, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Victor Lim

Victor Lim New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello. I drive a base model 2008 toyota prius and I got my struts and sway bar link replaced recently. There is this sound that it is making when I drive.

When I also got my coolant replaced my engine started sounding bad on start up until i drove it for a little. Should I be concerned? Thank you !!

here is a link to the sounds. The first two are my engine problems and the last one is when driving. Thank you so much !!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds kind of like the car's been run low on oil You don't state anything about mileage or anything keep showing that inverter coolant reservoir You know that's your inverter cooler That's not your engine coolant that should be up to the full mark and you should see water barely rippling in that jug almost no turbulence at all It's like a little fish pump that moves that water very slowly Not a big issue there That's not going to cause you any noise per se then on the driving issue All I can tell you to do from here is take a long pry bar and jacking up each side of the car one at a time like you're going to change your tire but you're not You're going to put the pry bar underneath the tire in about 20 in of the pry bar sticking past the tire and touching the concrete now you're going to gently lift up and down on the pry bar You're not trying to pick the car up and flip it over You're lifting the suspension possibly moving the spring a little bit and lifting up and down on the ball joint and the end link I like to do this with the tire off but first you can check it with the tire on to see if you can make a little bit of the noise jerking up and down on the pry bar every few seconds clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk You may need to get a friend to get down on their hands and knees or you get down on your hands and knees while they lift up and down on the bar The person lifting up and down on the bars not trying to bring the car down to the ground I'm just trying to reproduce and see any looseness that's in any of the front end systems spring and links lower ball joint mounts where the two big bolts go into the big piece of aluminum called the hub to strut or steering knuckle to strut assembly those big bolts all that stuff supposed to be tight shouldn't be any real clunking going on who did this replacement of the front end parts?