1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! P0A93, cleared, drove 50mi, death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LKasdorf, Oct 5, 2019.

1. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 prius, 142k
    I drove to my weekly gig last night, which is 60 mi. After about 50 mi, suddenly many dash lights came on- red triangle, cel, several others. But the car was driving fine. I continued to my gig.

Afterwards, I connected my ODB scanner, found it had a P0A932 code (the only code). I cleared it, and proceeded to drive home. I got within 5 miles of my house, when suddenly I had lots of lights, and the car had no power- engine running, but no accel. I coasted to a parking lot.

It was doing very odd things- like not being able to power off. No RTOD
    I have a voltmeter USB adaptor, and at one point it showed 3.3v. Then I recall it showing 13.4 v.
    I tried unplugging the big battery connector, waiting, replugging. Same.

Then after quite a bit of messing around, it got into a mode where you try to power on, and all you get is breifly the 5 drive symbols showing only outline boxes. about 1/2 sec, then dark.

Called wife, got a ride home.

Today, I went back to it- thinking a bad 12v battery can do weird things, and connected jumpers from a running car to it. No change. I cannot get my ODB scanner to connect to the ECU, so I cannot scan or tweak. Maybe Techstream would let me.

So- I suspect initially I had an inverter pump problem, hence the P0A93 code.
    Now, I don't know what state I'm in. I'm going to bring it home on a trailer and try to figure it out.

Help!
    I'm uploading some videos and will post when ready.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the 12v read, using the volt meter?

3. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    13.4 v with the USB voltmeter, last I looked
    I just got back from taking my truck and trailer there, and then I realized that it was in Park- and I couldn't get it into neutral to roll up onto the trailer. So, I guess I'll have to get it hauled home.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would not be correct. measure it at the battery after it has been off a few hours

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your 12v battery is good, but your dash is dead...except the door ajar light works then check the AM2 fuse....2nd 15 amp fuse down on the driver side

skrrt angle likes this.
  6. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went there this morning with a DVM and measured the voltage at the jump start terminal. 5.5v! Yikes.
    I found the wire to the inverter pump and disconnected. Measured again- 13.1v!
    I don't understand how the bad pump could pull that down to 5.5v and not deplete the battery- but it did somehow.
    I tried to start, and I still got the boxes around the letters on the dash briefly.
    Next, I checked the fuse that you mentioned (AM1?) - and sure enough, it was blown.
    I put in a good one, and voila, it started up! Actually, the first time, it got into a funny mode- I was in neutral and couldn't get into drive or reverse. However, I powered off, and tried again, and I got to ready state. I drove the car home!
    So- thanks again for the excellent info!
    I have a new pump on order, and now I have that task to look forward to...

7. LKasdorf

LKasdorf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a 2005 with 200k and a 2008 with 340k. If these have the original pump, I'm thinking I want to preemptively replace these. I guess I can call the dealer and they can tell me if the warranty pump replacement has been done at a dealer, I assume?