1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help!!!! P1128, p3190, p3191

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by GODSPEED, Dec 22, 2009.

1. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    one cold morning while driving to work, i felt an erratic hesitation while driving. all of a sudden the check engine light, triangle ! light, and car ! light came on, and my 2002 prius came to a halt. hooking up a code reader showed P1128, P3190, P3191. i removed the throttle body assembly, cleaned the butterfly valve, tested the throttle control motor, and throttle position sensor, and found nothing wrong!? put everything back together, reset the battery to clear the codes, started the car, and all three warnings came on again. using the code reader, i erased the codes and then all seemed well. they car idled fine. upon driving it when i put my foot into the throttle 3/4 to full pedal, the hesitation came back and the lights came on again. dealer says to replace the throttle control motor (assembly) but im feeling there is more to this. also, when the lights came on, my fuel gauge read "1 tick" but the tank was full!? voltage at the 12v battery prior to starting read 12.24v. any help would be great. thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P1128 indicates a malfunction with the throttle control motor. What is your method to test the motor?

Since you say that you can make the problem appear when you depress the accelerator pedal 3/4 or more, this would seem to prove that throttle control is at fault.

Regarding the fuel gauge showing one bar while the tank is full, this typically happens when the 12V battery is about to fail. If you measured 12.2V when the car was IG-OFF, that shows the battery is quite marginal.

So you could try replacing the 12V battery first, but I suspect you will also eventually need to replace the throttle control motor.

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You followed Hobbit's procedure?
    Next would be to check the connectors including back at the engine ECU located behind the glove compartment on the passenger side.

Many rodents in your area? There have been reports of rodent wire damage.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  4. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

im finding out the terminals on the 12v battery are smaller than normal cars!? so finding a battery is hard. the dealer battery is $140!!!! according to them its a type 35 but they couldnt tell me how many CCA!? has anyone picked up a non dealer aftermarket battery? i have picked up a throttle body assembly. going to install and cross my fingers.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Elearnaid offer a 12 volt battery alternative, and there is an Odessey that fits. If you are will to use an adaptor or other workaround for te battery connector issue, your options increase.

When you remove the old throttle body you have to disconnect 2 coolant lines. Plug those will bolts wrapped with electrical tape adn the job will be easier.

1 person likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check Hobbit's library.

This was my approach:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

7. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    well...i replaced the throttle assembly. reconnected the battery. as soon as i turned the car on the same 3 warning lights came on!!!!!! but...upon hooking up my code reader, turning the engine off, resetting the battery, and clearing the codes, the lights did not come back on...yet (cross your fingers). however, i did notice that when i started it up, again, it only showed 1 tick of gas. but after a few seconds, it registered full...weird!? looking into a replacement 12v battery since its ~7 years old. thanks for everyone's advice. happy holidays :)

8. schoolchef

schoolchef New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a Toyota Warranty Enhancement Notification for this problem. They covered my repair for code P3191 for 2001 Prius.

9. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i changed my battery lugs wtih conventional ones, so i can buy any 12v battery. the only problem was i had to make a ground cable.

SFO likes this.
  10. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what about the vent?

11. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

how do i find this Notification?

12. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

i went out and bought a Die Hard Gold Battery cat.35. and the bettery terminals are the same size. but whats weird is, when i hooked up the new battery, and started the car, the 3 warning lights came on again. i had to disconnect the battery again, cheked the OBDII with my scantool, and no codes popped up. also i had the dreaded "1 tick of fuel" on my dash digital gauge, and only when i drove down tje road )~1/2 mile, did the gauge come up to its level!? weird, i dont get it. i replaced the throttle body, the battery, and i feel like there are still some gremlins lurking. i drove the car to work today, 160 round trip, without a hitch...strange.

how or what recharges the 12v battery? does the prius have an alternator, or does the HV battery keep the charge up?

1 person likes this.
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Seriously . . . I'd do more than simply 'look into it'
    fwiw, I'd have had it done yesterday.

14. schoolchef

schoolchef New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was a mail-notice sent to me automatically by Toyota; I'm the original owner of the 2001 Prius.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's good to know that Sears now carries a battery that will work.

Is the battery polarity same as the original Classic 12V battery, where the negative terminal is on the left when facing the battery with the terminals closest to you?

What is the price of that battery?

Regarding the fuel gauge, it is normal for it to start at one bar after the 12V power has been removed and reconnected. As long as it eventually comes up to the correct level, don't worry.

If you don't have warning lights or DTC codes after driving 160 miles, then it sounds like you can declare victory. Congratulations.

The DC/DC converter takes as input high voltage DC, which is ~274V in your car's case, and maintains the 12VDC bus voltage at 13.8V when the Prius is READY. This is what keeps the 12V battery charged and powers the various electrical systems.

3 people like this.
  16. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius

thanks for the info.
    yes, the terminal orientation was the same. Sears price is $104 plus tax.

1 person likes this.
  17. GODSPEED

GODSPEED New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    thanks so much for your extremely helpful information concerning this matter :doh:

18. SpeedyG40

SpeedyG40 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The original battery is expensive because it is far superior to a conventional battery.

It is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) type sealed battery. No spills, corrosion, gases, or other nonsense to deal with. In fact, will outlast a "normal" lead-acid battery 2:1 for reasons too lengthy to discuss here.
    These batteries are somtimes called gel cells too. The lead plates are wrapped with glass matt which soaks up the acid like a sponge effectively becoming a gel like substance. Even with a broken case they will not leak. In fact, they are the only type of battery allowed to be shipped by air. The non-sealed batteries could dissolve an airplane's structure if they leaked.

I would never consider a non-sealed battery in the trunk of my car.

:)

2 people like this.
  19. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another 12V battery option is the Optima D51R 8073-167 yellow Top battery. Optima manufacturer does not recommend this battery for the Prius because it is slightly longer than OEM battery and some mods are required to make it fit. A Toyota dealership had already replaced my 01 Prius 12V battery tray and cables for the updated Panasonic GS several years ago. So my mod. consisted of bending down the rear lip of the battery tray. The D51R dropped right in, no problem.

Optima warranty only applies when purchased through an authorized Optima dealer. Bernie at eLearnAide is not an authorized dealer, but he offers a pro-rated 3 year warranty on his batteries. If your Prius requires upgraded cables, be sure to get the conversion kit too. Optima D51R 8073-167 yellow top Battery

8073-167 yellow top Battery

20. NenaPR51

NenaPR51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, sell the piece of @@@t before it dries your bank out!!!! You have no idea the headaches and the expensive repairs I incurred with my prius, changing the $3 thousand dollar battery was one of them. Hybrid never never again! All the gas I saved I had to spend in repairs. Good riddance Prius!!!