1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Parking lights NOT working, all other lights working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikemcmo, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone told my wife yesterday that her parking lights/tail lights weren't working in her 2004 Prius. When you turn the switch on the stalk one click, only the license plate light comes on. No parking/tail lights come on in the back, and the little lights above the headlights don't come on. Turn the switch another click, and the headlights come on. The brake lights work when you hit the brakes. I checked the fuses: the owner's manual doesn't really match what is in the car, so I checked a lot, and the ones I checked were all fine. I used up all my diagnosing time deciphering the owner's manual and figuring out the fuses, so I didn't check the bulbs themselves yet (and now it's late, dark, and cold) but it seems really unlikely all 4 of these lights are out at once. Someone else in the forum had a problem where their parking lights only came on when their high beams were on, so I tried that, but that didn't make mine work. There's no history of mysterious electrical problems or collisions. I am able to do some DIY maintenance, and replaced the MFD twice, but have a healthy respect for electriity and don't have any tools beyond a voltage meter.
    Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did u also check the fuses that are under the dash

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's the circuit: The light control on the stalk sends voltage to the Body ECU, which then turns on the relay T-LP. It is located in the driver side junction block, under the dash ( a bit of work to get to it. Here is a look: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/bodyecu/ .) That relay then sends voltage to all the tail lights, via the 10A tail light fuse. It also illuminates the dash panel lights, via a second 7.5A panel fuse. If you can turn on the light switch on the stalk, and the panel lights come on, then you know the switch and relay are OK. If not, then the relay, switch, or Body ECU is suspect.

You should be able to listen close to the Body ECU, reach up to turn the light switch, and verify that there is a relay click.

The same tail light circuit also turns on the license plate lights and the glove box light. If those are not working either, then I would suspect the 10A tail fuse. At that point you would have to take your meter and check for voltages and look for wire harness rubs that may be causing a short condition. It is possible one of the tail lights developed a short, which would take all the others out. The ground points are not in common for all those lights, so a loose ground connection is not indicated.

SageBrush likes this.
  4. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nh70- Thanks! This is a bit over my head, so one scenario is I print out your explanation and hand it to the mechanic, and see if it saves me some diagnostic time. But the licnese plate light IS working, so I think the #15 10A tail fuse is fine, right? Just checked tail lights- no short there. But I read elsewhere that there is a brown ground wire that goes to a common point, no?

sfv41901, As for checking the fuses under the dash, yes, thanks, checked the #15 10A fuse, along with anything near it, since the layout doesn't match what is in the car. Same goes for the fuses under the hood. I tested them with a voltage meter to make sure they were really carrying the current- didn't want to rely on my eyes alone.

The mystery deepens...

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, it was late last night. With less blurry eyes..... If the license plate lights are good, then it should be the ground point for the tail lights that is corroded. It is under the hatch back, in the middle. You will have to take the plastic insert out of the back area to get to it. Let us know what you find.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    nh70 has pretty well gone through the system. The only snag I see is that all the lights within the rear cluster use the same ground point including the stop lights and indicators, and you say these are working. I assume you have checked that the bulbs are ok as it would not be the first time on this forum that more than one bulb has been found to have failed.

7. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget to check the bulbs, just in case. I have seen at least 2 out at the same time.

kenoarto likes this.
  8. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, time to eat my hat. Once again, I should have known to check the obvious first, and I would have saved myself some time.

It turns out all four parking light bulbs WERE burned out. But it could be that the story won't end here. It could be that my wife was driving around for awhile as the bulbs burned out, one by one, and somebody told her only when all four were burned out. They are all visibly burned- died a light bulb's honest death.

But could it not also be that there is some systemic problem that made this happen? Again, the license plate bulb, on the same #15 fuse, was and is working. If the ground wire for these lights is corroded, would that burn out the back parking lights (and also the front?) but not the license plate light? Or maybe the front ones burned out, and the back ones fell prey to a bad ground wire? Again, thanks for your help...

kenoarto likes this.
  9. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota made a rather poor choice in using this type bulb. If this is the first time you needed to replace the bulbs then you got perhaps 2 to 3 times the average life out of them.

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it would make them dim or not work, but wouldn't cause burn out. Check your 12V system voltage. Excess 12V can cause early bulb expiration. As one bulb goes, the voltage across the other bulbs increases a little, and that accelerates the situation. But hey, these things happen. Maybe a chance for replacement with something better.

11. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A-ha, perhaps that is what happened. I just don't know how long we were driving around with 1 then 2 then 3 and 4 bulbs out. Could the sequence took place over 2 years, could be two weeks. I'm going to tape one of the dead bulbs to the dashboard or somewhere to remind us to check the parking lights once in a while. Thanks for the help!

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those little bulbs don't last a long time. I have already changed two of them in the two years time that we have had our Prius (09 model) that we bought used. It is a good idea to check your lights at least once a month. Try to get into a habit of checking the lights when you check your air pressures on your tires. Keep a set of bulbs in the glove box, so when you see one out, simply change it and go on down the road.

Hope this info help you.

Ron

13. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips. This is the first time in 3 years Iv'e noticed lights out, but, who knows- could have been out for 2 years. I'll stock up. I just hope having all 4 lights out doesn't mean I've got some sort of electrical gremlin in there.

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have read in other posts that when one bulb burns out, that the voltage applied to the other bulbs is a little higher. If you see all four go out again in the next few months, then you probably need to check the voltage at the light bulb socket. I am willing to bet that the bulbs had simply expired. They have very small filaments in them.

Ron

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a theory as to why the tail lights blow but not the number plate lights.

Each tail light shares the same ground wire as all the other lights within the light unit, so when the indicators (turn signals) are operating at the same time as the side lights are on, the voltage drop in the ground wire will increase dropping the voltage to the side lights when the indicators are lit and raising the voltage as they go out.

This will give a 1HZ square wave voltage pulse to the side light on the same side as the working indicator. I have not measured the cold resistance of the indicator bulbs but I suspect the cold filament current could be as high as 5 amps although running current would be slightly less than 2 amps.

The same applies to the front side lights.

16. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Sounds like a good theory. Check Toyota for job openings. I collected everybody's comments and am printing them out to stick in the trunk back by the lights, so I have options to consider if this problem recurs.

17. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the similar problem, no panel lights or front running lights..new front bulbs, fuse is good, dimmer switch is all the way up where it clicks,tail lights and plate lights work...just the front and panel lights are out, is there a common ground for the front section? thanks

18. MarkThrust

MarkThrust New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving a 2009 Prius we've had since 2014.

We just encountered the faulty marker/parking light problem. Simplest solution solves the problem.

2009 Prius had been sitting for 2 1/2 months - following the running battery replacement in January. It had been driven for about a month prior to being put into storage. Always had a problem with left rear taillight going out - after frequent replacement.

Had not been driving it at night until this 4 July. NONE of the marker/parking lights would light! Had to drive from Stockton to Fremont with flashers on!! Next day check everything - fuses, relays and finally- bulbs. Two of four bulbs found to have busted filament: two bulbs were LOOSE in teh socket. All new bulbs installed and a slight slathering of DIELECTRIC GREASE to assure conductivity. Also fiddled with teh connection at left rear to tighten the clip.

Simplest solution solves the problem.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do realize the word 'dielectric' means 'insulating', right?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That it does. But when used on electrical contacts, it does not remain between the points of metal-to-metal contact, it ends up around those points, protecting them from environmental influences, but not increasing the contact resistance by any meaningful amount.

I say this as someone who used to be one of the people saying "you know that's an insulating grease?" myself. But enough people did me the favor of confronting me with actual evidence that I eventually even did a direct experiment myself, and reality compelled me to change my tune.

'Dielectric' still does mean something that doesn't conduct. And it's still true that any significant layer thickness of dielectric grease will be a nonconductive layer. Only that isn't the end of the story when the grease is used in an electrical connector. And that has been known to electrical connector designers for years and years; the one doing the late catching-up was me.

mr_guy_mann likes this.