1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help planning my home PV?

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by mwalsh, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe this is the wrong place, but since this is in anticipation of my Leaf.... I'll be wanting to install solar and am wondering if you can help me figure out what size system I want.

We currently average between 15kwh and 19kwh daily, depending on season, and I'll be wanting to plug in my Leaf to replenish the ~16kwh I'll need for the daily commute, 4-5 days a week, and maybe the one recharge for weekend use.

I have no fantasies about having my meter spin backwards, but it would be rather nice to break even on the yearly billing, with a small credit on light months and a small bill on heavy months.

Edit: Oh, I should say that I'm in LA, with a fair bit of south and east facing real estate on my roof, and some facing west on the front of the house, but it would probably tick the association off (CC&Rs) if I applied panels there. We get maybe 9 hours of usable sunlight in winter and 14 hours in summer.

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This would probably be better in the "Environmental Discussion" section. Some very knowledgeable folks in that forum.

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I have done a bit of research on PV, so maybe I could help a bit.

first there are two types of pv installtions. the regular pv panels and the roll on type(thin film). The thin is cheaper, produces less energy, and costs less to install but blends in really well with a home. You might be able to get away with it on the west roof, which could produce up to 5kW in 2.5 hrs (given enough surface area)

The typical PV installation is more "unsightly", costs more and yields much more power. Maybe a combination of both would yield the power requirements you need.

Make sure to shop around both for installation and the actual panels, since both can differ.

4. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, thanks. I'll take it over there.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I just did! I guess I didn't reckon on this "buying low and selling high" notion when it comes to power consumed and generated. Will have to sit down some more and see what impact that has.