1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Please ☹️ Quit Again While Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Elisa daSilva, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How much of an idea is necessary?

What is the next step when there are two ideas left viable, and needing one or the other to be ruled out?

2. 2GenPrius

2GenPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it a Toyota TrueStart AGM battery that you have?

Because I tested my 12V same as yours, used a multi-meter, used the onboard systems diagnostics, even brought it to a local auto parts repair store for their machine to test if the battery was good. On an off-chance, it tested bad once, yet I took it back about two more times and it tested good.

After reading a crapton more support material on here and elsewhere, found that the 12V going out can bring ghosts in the machine and cause all kinds of crap.

Took it to Toyota with a remainder of an 84 month warranty on the battery and guess what? It tested bad. Apparently, it had some sort of bad cell that was not detectable without the testing process they used at the dealer. Even the folks at the dealership couldn't believe it.

Try working with a known good 12V and see if your ills are gone. Hopefully your 12V AGM is under a warranty and can be tested accurately.

As for the parasitic draw, do you have Smart Key function on your Prius? Might explain some of the draw. Of course, I'd pull the fuse for the door jamb switches first to see if the door switches are bad. In my experience, that's the usual culprit. Another time it was someone that wired an aftermarket radio to always use battery power without ACC. Why, I have no idea.

Elisa daSilva likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That gets overstated a lot, and too often used as a crutch for "I don't want to diagnose why it's doing that" ... but here, where we have independent history of OP's battery getting hammered, and then falling from 12.58 to 8 blindingly fast, yeah, this is a case where I would say "let's do something to separate the influences here."

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND your protests are WAY overstated too.

If done right, checking the battery is quick, easy and cheap.
    And in the process of doing that, one might find something else significant......like loose connections.

And yes, as long as you persist in trying to sell this unreasonable theory, I will keep right on pointing out how UN-helpful it really is.

5. Elisa daSilva

Elisa daSilva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a charger today and charged overnight so that I can test it with a full charge. This morning it’s at 12.94 V but I know I need to test voltage with lights on, etc so don’t know that yet.
    I’m thinking I might have shorted something in the trunk area when I got dirt all over it from transporting some bushes, because that’s when the battery started quitting.
    The people at Auto Zone not only knew nothing about hybrid cars but kept trying to refuse to help me. So I don’t trust they’re telling me the battery is no good. They charged it an hour then said it couldn’t be charged so it was bad. This was after telling me things like the 12v battery is in the front, they can’t check a 12V battery from a Prius because they don’t know how ( yes, 12V not hybrid) and my favorite I could maybe be electrocuted testing the battery. D9415BE3-FE4D-44F5-8BB9-93FA744F1602.jpeg 69467F21-50D3-49FC-A3A6-668FC4374933.jpeg D9415BE3-FE4D-44F5-8BB9-93FA744F1602.jpeg D9415BE3-FE4D-44F5-8BB9-93FA744F1602.jpeg 69467F21-50D3-49FC-A3A6-668FC4374933.jpeg
    My battery is a YUSA or however you spell it.
    So, when I was reinstalling the 12v I decided to go ahead and look at the fan while I had the entire trunk area apart. It’s pretty filthy.

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good work with the fan! That is pretty important to keep clean. However, I believe your problems are 12V battery related. Also, it is very simple to check the inverter coolant pimp operation. When in ready mode you should be able to see turbulence in the reservoir. No turbulence, most likely bad pump. Pump is cheaper to replace than the 12V battery, believe it or not. It's a simple DIY project. So in either case, I do not think you are up the creek here. Just need to learn a bit and get through it. It's not rocket science, from the way you sound, you are more than capable.

Elisa daSilva and 2GenPrius like this.
  7. 2GenPrius

2GenPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, yet very unlikely that the inverter pump is bad (OP said it was throwing the code) only after their hauling of stuff. It would be hell of a coincidence yet maybe a reset of the ECU and hybrid ECU to see if codes pop up again.

I'd also recommend OP to ask a mechanic shop for their compressed air to blow the fan blower out (hold the fan blade portion in place if you can) and then also the trunk lock jamb for your concerns with the dirt being in there. Also check the trunk lock mechanism to see if its clean and functioning, it might not be engaging/disengaging if caked with dirt. Air that out, spray with a good lubricant/seal and see if that works.

VFerdman likes this.
  8. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thaks. It's not just completely unhelpful but rude and stupid.
    Thanks so much!

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I already cleaned the fan with a brush and QTips and cleaned the trunk lock and used WD40 to get it closed and get the door open light to go off.

2GenPrius likes this.
  10. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I posted that incorrectly. I was referring to the post saying if I can’t afford a new battery and inverter then I should just quit before it gets to thousands.
    My car doesn’t run so I’m not going to incur any more expenses. Plus, if I can’t afford today to buy two parts I might not need before I even test everything, that doesn’t mean I can’t or won’t get what’s needed within a week.
    So keep the snark off my post.

2GenPrius, VFerdman and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was being sincere, it's just internet advice. no harm meant by it. it's just that things can go south quickly on these cars

i do understand taking it one step at a time, especially if you're not in a hurry

12. 2GenPrius

2GenPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Snarks with friggin laserbeams attached to their head! :LOL:

[​IMG]

Prius 250K miles and replaced hybrid battery | PriusChat

When I posted, folks kinda snarked me for spending too low on a hybrid battery. I was in a bind, stranded, and needed to get to work the next day (due to a really crappy boss that was intent on trying to get me fired for any reason) and that hybrid service responded. Yes, I could have done more time/more research, etc, yet sometimes we just walk into things unknowingly. That's where forums like this can make a difference to collectively help each other to work through problems that we may encounter. Everyone has an EXPERIENCE that should be solid input. Opinions, well, I don't know about those...unless they're constructive. My 2 and 1/2 cents.

VFerdman and Elisa daSilva like this.
  13. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I'm no trying to be harsh. Just about to have a heat stroke from working on this.

bisco likes this.
  14. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

15. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while:LOL:

2GenPrius likes this.
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just for future reference, it is NOT necessary to remove or disconnect the 12 V battery just to charge or test it with a voltmeter.

17. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is if I want to plug it in

2GenPrius likes this.
  18. 2GenPrius

2GenPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Careful, we have to be pretty specific on what type of plug-in conversion you're speaking on. :ROFLMAO:

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Meaning what exactly ?
    That you can't park the car where you have access to 120 VAC power ?

That has nothing to do with what I said.

20. Elisa daSilva

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car won’t start so it’s parked until it can. I can’t plug in the battery charger and reach the car because I don’t have any exterior outlets. My extension cord doesn’t reach from the inside of my house to the car. So I do have to remove the battery to charge it.

VFerdman likes this.