1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help please 01 gen 1 MDF no energy monitor

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Johog, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Johog

Johog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have just bought an 01 Prius as a project car. It has a bad HV battery that I am rebuilding so most of the time has the red triangle of death. Throws mostly P3006 codes and I think I have the right stuff on the way to fix that. What I need help with is I have never been able to get to the energy monitor or any diagnostics on the MDF. It mostly shows the three icons including the failure warning. That screen is completely unresponsive. If I switch to audio everything works fine so the display and touch screen work. Am I not pressing the right button to get to the energy monitor. I thought that was the default when you go into drive. I have been able to drive for over 20 minutes with no codes or warning but still cannot get to the energy monitor or any kind of diagnostics. Sorry if this is just newbie stupidity but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    John

2. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I recall, the Gen I MFD has no automotive diagnostics built in...
    BUT: there is a 12v battery voltage monitor that you can get from the audio screen,
    plus some other multifunction display (MFD) diagnostics.
    Follow the procedure described here:
    Gen1 Prius has a built-in voltmeter | PriusChat
    ...and there is this example (video)
    Gen 1 Prius Entering Self Diagnosis Mode | How To Save Money And Do It Yourself!
    ======
    <edit> oops, I missed the point that you want to get to the energy monitor display mode... no, it's not the default, but it should flip between Consumption and Energy when you tap the icon on the touch screen. BUT: I do recall that sometimes the display gets "stuck" and won't respond; I can't recall any repair procedure, it just fixes itself, it seems.

#2 dabard051, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. Johog

Johog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mayne I am asking this wrong. All I am looking for is the pretty picture of the engine, battery, and drive wheels that show arrows of where the energy is going. I know it is not super informative but I am getting a black screen. When I press audio I get a fully functional radio screen. When I press maps it tells me device not found ie no nav on this car. If I hit those buttons a second time black screen no energy monitor. Have been in an identical car and seen the monitor active. Was that an option like the navigation and I just don't have it?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you tried pressing the INFO button, then selecting from one of the choices on the screen? I think one of them gives you the consumption bargraph, and the other gives you the animated picture. Did you get an owner's manual with the car?

-Chap

5. Johog

Johog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No manual and I know I tried the info button with no success. I will try it again now that I have all the codes clear.
    Thanks for the help.
    Johog

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Owner manual pdfs are at techinfo.toyota.com and they're on the free side of the paywall. I like having a pdf instead of the paper manual anyway; just lives on my phone, takes up less glovebox space.

-Chap

7. Johog

Johog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that the codes are cleared I can get to my MDF screen. Thank you all for your help. It is strange because I have recently been in another gen 1 a 2001 just like mine. It also had HV battery issues and was showing the orange triangle of death. On that car I could still access the MDF at any time without clearing the codes. Glad to have it working I know it's a waste but I like that little graphic to remind me I am saving money. Otherwise all I do is miss my extra 211 horsepower. Lol